NCL Epic weird cabin layout??

Krydstosser

Hey Guys! 

We are cruising with Epic in september 2021 (Hopefully) but we think the cabin layout is a little weird with the sick in the room beside the bed?? 

What do you think about this? Pro and cons if anyone?

DSC05421-Copy.jpg

Edited by Krydstosser

I don’t mind it. The biggest issue seems to be whether you can handle the fact that your partner does the same things that you do in the bathroom. If so then you will probably be fine with it, otherwise you probably won’t.

The sink in the room means that one person can use the toilet whilst another is using the sink, which I find useful.

• Like 2

There’s also a curtain that pulls across, blocking the area that houses the toilet closet and the shower closet from the rest of the room. Even with the curtain  pulled, the sink, which looks pretty small, is on the room side. I agree that having a separate sink makes life more convenient when 2 or more people are trying to get ready.  

I’ve looked for photos with the curtain pulled (because we’re cruising on the Epic in Nov with my in-laws) but haven’t found any, yet.

We did not find it a big deal;, in fact, when getting ready to go out for the evening we found it convenient. 

For a married couple or couple who have been together a long time - it was fine,  BUT if this is your first trip away together -  you certainly will get to know each other much more personally!  

You can make accommodations if you are a very private person - get a Spa Pass or get a Balcony cabin - do your best to be aware or your roommates needs. SCHEDULE as best you can.

BUT the Bathroom IS basically in the cabin - if that is going to be a problem for you  >  PICK ANOTHER SHIP - Do NOT let it ruin your Cruise!

Best of Luck - Happy Sails!!

• Like 1

If your willing to spend a few extra bucks, check out the Haven on the Epic.  The Haven bathrooms are the traditional variety.  Plus they just did a major refurb in the Haven and it looks really good.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caitlynambrai said:

There’s also a curtain that pulls across, blocking the area that houses the toilet closet and the shower closet from the rest of the room. Even with the curtain  pulled, the sink, which looks pretty small, is on the room side. I agree that having a separate sink makes life more convenient when 2 or more people are trying to get ready.  

I’ve looked for photos with the curtain pulled (because we’re cruising on the Epic in Nov with my in-laws) but haven’t found any, yet.

Four Adults in one cabin or 2 cabins ???  I hope you mean 2 cabins.. those cabins have a very odd configuration and with the weird sofa they already feel tight for two people.. 4 adults would be a nightmare.   And then add in the Bathroom situation >>. NO WAY!!! 

30 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

..................BUT the Bathroom IS basically in the cabin - if that is going to be a problem for you  >  PICK ANOTHER SHIP - Do NOT let it ruin your Cruise!

Best of Luck - Happy Sails!!

The toilet room DOES have a door. The door just happens to be an opaque rounded door but it still separates the room from the toilet. Then, there is a shower room with a door that is the same type door as the toilet room. It is opaque and is rounded but it still separates the shower from the cabin. The bathroom is a deconstructed version of a regular bathroom but instead of one main door, there are two doors with the sink completely separate and available to anyone in the cabin at any time.

The opaque doors are just that.....opaque so you can not see through them except a shadow if the person in the enclosed room is standing right next to the door. Let's not forget, there is a curtain that blocks any views of of the toilet room and shower room from the main cabin.

What I found absolutely delightful about this bathroom arrangement was there was natural light during the day that streamed into the toilet and shower rooms. That was glorious, actually, sort of like having a window in these rooms. LOVED IT!

Edited by coffeebean

2 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

If your willing to spend a few extra bucks, check out the Haven on the Epic.  The Haven bathrooms are the traditional variety.  Plus they just did a major refurb in the Haven and it looks really good.

Few extra bucks?  More like a few extra thousands of bucks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All the posts about the epic just crack me up. We spend so little time in our cabin that none of the layout weirdness bothers us. We spent 11 days on her in January 2020 and had an absolute blast. We are not picky people though and not much bothers us. 

• Like 1

I didn't mind the Epic on the Southern Caribbean cruise because it was so port intensive and only had one sea day.  Most of the days passengers were in port instead of on the ship.

It can be tough cruising on her when you have two consecutive sea days with rain and high winds and most of the outside decks are closed and all the passengers are looking for things to do on the ship.

The only time I would book the Epic is when it goes to a port on my bucket list.

We've been on the Epic twice and have zero problems with the cabin layout (normal cabins).  Use the curtain if you're worried about someone seeing your blurry shape thru the frosted glass.   

We found it more annoying that the water in the small sink would sometimes shoot off into the cabin floor if the pressure was turned on all the way.  But certainly, that was not anything that ruins a vacation.

• Like 1

That isn't on a ship but was our hotel room in China.

On one of our trips to Mexico at the all-inclusive resort of Grand Serenis our room had an opening to the bathroom too but the toilet area was separated and had a door thank goodness.

You have to be ready to adjust to situations when you travel the world.

Edited by Oakman58

Frankly, if you have to ask our opinion about the cabin layout, you probably should pick another ship....one that YOU like, not one that WE like.

BTW....I found the sink bathroom arrangements on the Epic to be just fine, and actually quite convenient.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

Four Adults in one cabin or 2 cabins ???  I hope you mean 2 cabins.. those cabins have a very odd configuration and with the weird sofa they already feel tight for two people.. 4 adults would be a nightmare.   And then add in the Bathroom situation >>. NO WAY!!! 

Yeah, no, not 4 grownups in a room. That would be one of my personal levels of hell. I did watch a vlog of a family of 4 on the epic in a balcony room- both kids were in their early 20's and they made it work. But I cannot see flipping a coin with my husband to see which of us would get the drop down bunk each night, let alone the bathroom sitch. 

From what I remember when the Epic first launched the room layouts throughout the ship were VERY different (compared to other NCL ships) & Epic pax weren't too happy about it.  Ditto the lack of elevators (or was it the location of the elevators...?).  There were other issues but I cannot remember off hand what they were.

In any case for these two reasons amongst others are probably why there's only ONE NCL Epic instead of an entire class of Epic ships.  I believe NCL originally contracted for three Epic-type ships & cancelled the remaining two.

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 1

Hey Guys 

Sorry I would not sound negative, I do not think it will be an issue with the cabin layout but it is very diffrent from all the other ships we have sailed with. 

We have been married in 12 year so no sweat with that 😀

We miss Cruising so much, and we will get crazy without a cruise soon!!!

That hotelroom with the window to the bathtub 🤪 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

From what I remember when the Epic first launched the room layouts throughout the ship were VERY different (compared to other NCL ships) & Epic pax weren't too happy about it.  Ditto the lack of elevators (or was it the location of the elevators...?).  There were other issues but I cannot remember off hand what they were.

In any case for these two reasons amongst others are probably why there's only ONE NCL Epic instead of an entire class of Epic ships.  I believe NCL originally contracted for three Epic-type ships & cancelled the remaining two.

GF and I sailed in a balcony cabin on the EPIC within the first year of it being launched.  I remember us doing quite a bit of research about it.

At the time, it was hailed as very innovated, which it was.  I believe they had just introduced "Freestyle" innovations.  We saw really Vegas style entertainment (i.e. Blue Man Group).

The cabins were indeed innovative, allowing for separate use of the sink, the commode and the shower, simultaneously if you desired.

EPIC introduced the "Ship within a Ship" concept with the HAVEN.

It was a "blueprint" ship.  Not sure it was ever intended to be duplicated. But, you can see many of those innovations in their other ships, including the -Away ships and certainly the more recent ships they've brought out.

It was touted as a Kevin Sheehan (previous CEO of NCL) vehicle.  When Kevin was forced out (for unclear and dubious reasons), they scuttled some of what he pioneered.

• Thanks 1

The 2 further Epics were scuttled long before Kevin Sheehan left. The Breakaway was already built before he left (we met him on the ship visit at Southampton).

I believe there were major issues with the French shipyard building the Epic (quality, timeframe and fires to name but three).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1