The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

On 6/29/2021 at 2:31 AM, pdaniel said:

A recap from another intransit perspective.

Vacated suite at 8 and had a delicious, leisurely breakfast in Atlantide restaurant.

Went directly to the lovely air conditioned comfort of Panarama lounge where we could sit inside or out for a couple of hours.

We were then informed a little after noon to disembark the ship to the uncomfortable process described above which lasted less than hour.

We were then onboard to the excellent service and sea bream for lunch in Alantide.

When we returned to the suite our room temperature was warm for a brief period of time but never hot.  It quickly returned to the comfort we have enjoyed the entire cruise.

We are so thankful to be sailing on the luxurious Silver Moon.  Yesterday was a minor, required inconvenience imposed upon Silversea.  Obviously, it may be much too soon for some to be sailing again under these new protocols.  Our overall experience has been terrific and the fellow passengers we have met have been understanding and respectful.

I think your more in tune to how it was….some people you can never please and something will always be wrong—-just like you go with flow and enjoy your time at sea or port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Whaleofatime said:

Up until today’s news the PCR test from amber list countries was the recommendation on the gov.uk website. 
Until they actually post the rules proper, on 19th July  I will be prepared to have to do the PCR.

The trick now is to avoid exposure and end up testing positive before we board. 🤞

Hi Whaleofatime, the Gov.uk website has been updated with the 19th July amendments, it does state that  antigen tests are allowed

On 7/12/2021 at 10:11 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Why were you surprised, SS is a formal cruise line and the vast majority of guests both understand that and adhere to the dress code. BTW we understand that SS is more dressy than other lines, but that's the way we like it.

I was surprised because on our last 5 or so SS cruises we had seen fewer and fewer men in tuxedos/dinner jackets than in the past.

2 minutes ago, sea bright said:

I was surprised because on our last 5 or so SS cruises we had seen fewer and fewer men in tuxedos/dinner jackets than in the past.

Good to know.  Perhaps there’s a trend and cruisers are growing weary of the full out formal attire.  I know I am.  Can’t wait for SS to finally abandon the “formal” nights.

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Good to know.  Perhaps there’s a trend and cruisers are growing weary of the full out formal attire.  I know I am.  Can’t wait for SS to finally abandon the “formal” nights.

On all our cruises on Seabourn & Silversea we saw some tuxedos on formal nights but they were in the minority.  My DH opted for a suit or a dark blazer & tie & dress trousers on the various formal nights.  I think men can wear what brings them joy within those parameters on those nights & still look “dressed”. It is a wonderful touch to see everyone dressed up weather in a tux or in less formal business attire.  Informal dinning is always available.  I think it is just the way things are evolving.  The cruise lines know that requiring a tux is bad for business but still encouraging a proper dress code is also good for the demographic that they wish to retain.  We fall into that category. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My thinking is packing a tux is not much different then a suit so why not bring the Tux?  Debating that now for an upcoming SB cruise

My feelings exactly.  My tux was also cheaper to buy than almost all of my suits in case something happens to it on the ship or en route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Can’t wait for SS to finally abandon the “formal” nights.

For this young(ish) fella, I hope that never happens.  Formal nights are still a highlight for us, since we live in a super casual state, and one of many reasons why we sail Silversea.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

For this young(ish) fella, I hope that never happens.  Formal nights are still a highlight for us, since we live in a super casual state, and one of many reasons why we sail Silversea.

Couldn't agree more stumblefoot.. MDH loves to dress & always packs his tux...he also wears jacket & tie most evenings...

It's nice to enjoy lovely food , company, in a fabulous environment

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

It's nice to enjoy lovely food, company, in a fabulous environment.

Amen Lvshack!

In general, I think SS has done a marvelous job of addressing the casualization (is that even a word?) of the world by providing passengers with so many dress attire options in various dining venues on a formal night.  No longer does anyone need to stay in their suite if they don’t want to dress formally on a formal night, unless they just absolutely want too.  

For us, formal nights are spent in The Restaurant (Atlantide on Muse Class ships) as we truly enjoy the elegant ambiance formal night brings to the dining venue for a mere bit of 3-hours or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

How many opportunities do we actually have to dress up and act like ladies and gentlemen in a sophisticated atmosphere?   Surely it isn't too much to ask.

Does one really need to be in a gown or tux to “act” like a lady or gent?   And isn’t the atmosphere in the various venues the same no matter the dress code of the night?  Are the menus the same as any other night?  It’s all just an illusion and certainly does not enhance the cruise experience on SS vs any other lux line.  

For a couple that has been Seabourn bound on a dozen cruises over last ten years once we left SS behind because its quality had dropped so much, this is all refreshing news. We decided to try SS again based on what we read, have a SS booking on the Moon and so looking forward. The casual trend on Seabourn, begun by Oceania, was driving us mad. I would be one of the few men wearing a jacket in the DR, let alone a tie. It's good to see some cruise lines know how to maintain the standards in proper dress at dinner that so many of us prefer. It makes it all even more special for us to see so many others feel as we do.  My mother always said, look smart, feel smart, be smart.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My thinking is packing a tux is not much different then a suit so why not bring the Tux?  Debating that now for an upcoming SB cruise

I was a diehard tux wearer on cruises for 20+ years.  Three years ago my last tux got to the place where it needed to get replaced.  I also used to wear my tux to the formal events the US Army used to have. I say used to have as there were maybe three or four a year at the peak.  Today about the only formal event is the once a year Army birthday ball.   So I bought a beautiful black suit as a replacement.  I take it on cruises along with some French cuffed shirts, cuff links,  solid color silk ties.  The suit and the black dress shoes can be used on other informal nights so I have actually reduced my packing.  

• Like 4

Does one really need to be in a gown or tux to “act” like a lady or gent?  

No, of course not.

And isn’t the atmosphere in the various venues the same no matter the dress code of the night?

No, it’s very different in the venues designated “formal” for the evening.

Are the menus the same as any other night?

No, they are different, other than the “always” available selections which never change.

It’s all just an illusion and certainly does not enhance the cruise experience on SS vs any other lux line.  

This is conjecture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I bought a beautiful black suit as a replacement.  I take it on cruises along with some French cuffed shirts, cuff links,  solid color silk ties.

Sounds like a beautiful suit, great for formal evenings, Randyk47.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

No, of course not.

No, it’s very different in the venues designated “formal” for the evening.

No, they are different, other than the “always” available selections which never change.

This is conjecture.

Conjecture?  Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Conjecture?  Just my opinion.

Sure!  Conjecture.  Your opinion was formed by incomplete evidence.  Hence, the reason for your questions.  It is not an illusion.  And, formal night does enhance the experience on SS for many passengers here.

Don’t worry Gourmet Gal, there’s plenty of venues on SS ships for you to avoid formal night.  It really is not an issue in this day and age.  And, those of us who enjoy formal night are able to continue to do so.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Sure!  Conjecture.  Your opinion was formed by incomplete evidence.  Hence, the reason for your questions.  It is not an illusion.  And, formal night does enhance the experience on SS for many passengers here.

Don’t worry Gourmet Gal, there’s plenty of venues on SS ships for you to avoid formal night.  It really is not an issue in this day and age.  And, those of us who enjoy formal night are able to continue to do so.

My “evidence” is complete.  I’ve sailed SS and participated in formal nights getting by with dressy tops, black silk pants and some fabulous jewelry.  Hubby gets by with a dark jacket and tie.  We travel light and just prefer not having to go all out formal for just another dinner.  That’s all and I don’t harbor any resentment for those who love to dress formally.  Just a little annoyed at SS for clinging to an old-fashioned cruising concept and I’m hoping they’ll lighten up.  

1 minute ago, Gourmet Gal said:

My “evidence” is complete.  I’ve sailed SS and participated in formal nights getting by with dressy tops, black silk pants and some fabulous jewelry.  Hubby gets by with a dark jacket and tie.  We travel light and just prefer not having to go all out formal for just another dinner.  That’s all and I don’t harbor any resentment for those who love to dress formally.  Just a little annoyed at SS for clinging to an old-fashioned cruising concept and I’m hoping they’ll lighten up.  

Yay, back to normal, a dress code discussion.

I am glad you made the statement I put in bold. Because from earlier comments I was beginning to think you looked down on people who like to dress up, a tuxedo for my husband and me with cocktail or long dresses. Like Stumblefoot dressing up is not the norm so we enjoy getting a chance to do so. 

By the way what your husband and you wear sound very elegant and dressy as well.

• Like 4

I was missing the old dress code posts.

I'm glad they have reappeared.

Luckily you can dress up and dress down on one ship on the same evening.

Those of us that like to dress more formally are catered for and those that like it a bit more casual are also catered for.

One size never fits all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Yay, back to normal, a dress code discussion.

I am glad you made the statement I put in bold. Because from earlier comments I was beginning to think you looked down on people who like to dress up, a tuxedo for my husband and me with cocktail or long dresses. Like Stumblefoot dressing up is not the norm so we enjoy getting a chance to do so. 

By the way what your husband and you wear sound very elegant and dressy as well.

LOL, dressy enough 🙂