The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

57 minutes ago, sea bright said:

Hi Lois. Our SS transfer from the airport was a bit of a debacle. We booked our own business class air (as it was thousands cheaper than SS for the Emirates direct flight we wanted). Our TA arranged for a SS transfer to the hotel (which was booked through SS). No one showed to meet us. After about a half hour when we couldn't contact the land agent listed on the cruise docs we gave up and scrambled to make our own transfer arrangements. This was not so easy because we are traveling with my 83 year old mother with her wheelchair, walker, luggage, etc. and thus couldn't fit in a regular taxi. The woman at the SS hospitality desk at the hotel said they had been provided with the wrong flight info. I raised the issue with both my TA and SS and I'm sure it won't happen again.

Oh my...that does not sound like a very good experience at all☹️ So sorry this happened to you!

I certainly hope SS is made aware of it all and would hope you at least are given some sort of 

an apology. Especially, as you mentioned that you were traveling with your mom and all that it entails.

Really sorry.  It sounds like someone really messed up. 

I will let my rep know about it for sure.......It is just me and if someone isn't there? Not sure I will wait 30 minutes.......I actually have a private tour booked that starts about 1:00. They are meeting me at the hotel.  Hopefully things will go more smoothly but I will just grab a cab if someone from SS isn't there.

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

How was it different than a typical cooking class?

YES, great above question from Stumblefoot.  Excellent details and follow-up from Spins.  So, as passengers, we have to "WORK" and be careful about the sharp knives??!!

Appreciate the excellent pictures and other details from Spins and Sea Bright.  Plus, I am interested to learn more insights about the attitudes, approaches, expectations, etc., of both the passengers and staff.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumbles you actually participate and cook the food.

You have a station and induction burner.

Everything is assembled for you.

I made Moussaka. Quite delicious.

But beware do not go after drinking alcohol.

The knives are super sharp!!!

Class about an hour long and small circular venue.

Sounds delicious......I love Moussaka too😃

Terry

The crew are superb.

I can not read the minds of the other pax but they appear to be smiling and pleased.

I know that 60 pax will be staying on for the next cruise in addition to the newcomers.

There seems to be complete cooperation regarding mask wearing and distancing.

While I believe we all bear the scars of the pandemic in one way or another, at this moment we are in a serene setting. Spectacular scenery and ambiance.

Soft warm breezes and sunlight. The sounds of the sea lapping at the hull.

Fresh sweet salt air.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We are also onboard the beautiful Silver Moon.  
We flew over on Delta direct JFK to Athens using SS air.  I was selected randomly for PCR test at the Athens airport.  Our driver met us in arrivals and proceeded to take us directly to the pier.  We were again tested and onboard sipping champagne before 2.

Terrific service!  Over 2:1 ratio of crew to passenger.  We are also on second segment.  Have heard there are fewer passengers on that leg.  Works for me!

Even with new protocols, this cruise is spectacular and exceeds expectations.

Edited by pdaniel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We will be on the August 17 th cruise and have a couple questions regarding  the use of masks

Do you have to use the SS masks only when boarding or at all times on board?

if you are allowed to use your own masks are there any requirements about the type of masks to be used eg 2 layer, three layer, surgical etc.

Are you required to wear masks by the pool?

thanks so much.

Edited by Emdee

3 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Any feedback regarding the precruise Athens excursion.

thanks so much.

Good morning.....I was going to book this tour but was told they have decided not to do it. Will let you know if anything changes.  I saw it on the website and then I saw it was gone........

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

How was it different than a typical cooking class?

My assumption is that this was the same as a cooking class on other ships which have workstations for passengers to cook, with the key of S.A.L.T. being that the cooking would be tied to the ship's location. Thus cooking spanakopita and baklava in Greece, rather than a generic cooking lesson on, say,  pasta.

1 hour ago, pdaniel said:

We are also on second segment.  Have heard there are fewer passengers on that leg.

201 on the first cruise and fewer on the second cruise? That doesn't sound like just intentional capacity control; it sounds like SS got limited bookings. I wonder if most people decided to shy away from the first few cruises to make sure things were going okay, or if most people are not yet comfortable with travel and are passing on this initial season of cruising entirely? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry    The crew are superb.   I can not read the minds of the other pax but they appear to be smiling and pleased.    I know that 60 pax will be staying on for the next cruise in addition to the newcomers.    There seems to be complete cooperation regarding mask wearing and distancing.    While I believe we all bear the scars of the pandemic in one way or another, at this moment we are in a serene setting. Spectacular scenery and ambiance.  Soft warm breezes and sunlight. The sounds of the sea lapping at the hull.  Fresh sweet salt air.

All sounds wonderful, charming and enjoyable from Spins.  Great details, pix's, etc.  Keep it coming.  

From pdaniel, nice updating in saying: "Terrific service!  Over 2:1 ratio of crew to passenger.  We are also on second segment.  Have heard there are fewer passengers on that leg.  Works for me!  Even with new protocols, this cruise is spectacular and exceeds expectations."  Amazing that the crew to passenger ratio is Two to One and getting even better on the next leg of these sailings.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 39,207 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Stumbles you actually participate and cook the food.

You have a station and induction burner.

Everything is assembled for you.

I made Moussaka. Quite delicious.

But beware do not go after drinking alcohol.

The knives are super sharp!!!

Class about an hour long and small circular venue.

Actually we go on a cruise so we don’t have to do our own cooking!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am sure there are folks who will not participate in this culinary activity. And some who will........that is what it is all about. Everyone can do things they enjoy🙂

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am sure there are folks who will not participate in this culinary activity. And some who will........that is what it is all about. Everyone can do things they enjoy🙂

sounds like the hoky poky.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning.....I was going to book this tour but was told they have decided not to do it. Will let you know if anything changes.  I saw it on the website and then I saw it was gone........

When we booked our excursions this option came up as available. So we booked it. If it doesn’t go will just stay in our hotel. Been several times to Athens.

6 minutes ago, Emdee said:

When we booked our excursions this option came up as available. So we booked it. If it doesn’t go will just stay in our hotel. Been several times to Athens.

Hi, I will look again at my booking and see if it is showing up. I swear I saw it one day and then when I went back to it.....it was no longer there.  

***Just checked again and they are not offering it on my sailing. 

Saw this pic as to how SS is conducting temperature checks on board the Moon.  I’d never seen such a check performed on a wrist before, so had to look up the latest research.  Seems that forehead and wrist produce very effective results on patients scanned indoors, whereas the wrist is the better method for those scanned outdoors.

9D656389-389A-49AE-8321-AD87CF08BA55.jpeg

• Like 2

Stumbles we are offered a choice of wrist or forehead. Actually the most accurate is axilla or armpit.

Fortunately they don't offer that.

As to precruise Athens tour, if it was like what we were on I would say NO.

As for masks, Silversea provides a kit with hand sanitizers and wipes and masks.

Upon embarkation one is requested to remove their personal mask and wear the ones provided by Silversea. They are generic white ones you may pitch at days end. 

Hopefully soon the mask requirement will end.

Charles, agree that I usually eschew cooking while on a cruise but it was quite fun to do the class with some master chefs!

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Actually we go on a cruise so we don’t have to do our own cooking!

If my wife picks up a few tips to bring home, I'm all for her attending!

lol - I jest. I'm sure its a lot of fun and will definitely take part on the Dawn. (I no longer have anything on the Moon now!) . Is there not cocktail making there also? We'd both be up for that also. Nothing quite like tasting your efforts!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cindy,  per the Greek government.....you need your vaccination card. No test is needed as long as you have that card.   There is a form you must fill out before flying over there.......this is mandatory.

Here is a link:  

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Thank you Lois for your reply.  When I spoke to SS I was told we would need a Negative PCR test to enter.  There is so much misinformation.  

I would love to hear from those of you who are on the ship now and exactly what you did - just have your vaccine card or have a PCR test with you.

thanks Cindy

And…the US requires a negative test prior to entry. Will Silversea be testing passengers before they depart the ship, or how will that be handled?

In regard to embarkation, did they schedule you or could you show up whenever you wanted at the pier on an independent transfer?