You Test Positive for COVID on board………Move to deck 2 to quarantine cabin, disembark at next port.

runningtide

Fist off, my cruise is not scheduled until September 17, so God knows what will be the environment by then. But I wanted to point out something that Celebrity mentioned in the fine print if you test positive during the cruise, regardless of symptoms or prior vaccination status. You and your cabin mates will be moved to deck 2 to quarantine in special cabins, then disembarked at next port. Some people may be under the misimpression that they can quarantine in their suite until the vessel returns to home port. Not true. I have also read it’s possible that by being identified in a group exposed to a positive passenger, you and those in your cabin may be quarantined and possible disembarked, regardless of initial rapid test or PCR results. I admit there is a lot of confusion on this procedure. 

Point is this….don’t assume if your exposed to a positive passenger, you will just be asked to quarantine in your expensive suite or cabin. And worse than that, be required to leave the ship at next port and be subject to that countries requirements for possible hospitalization, quarantine facilities, etc. Celebrity must make it crystal clear on their support policies and stop using the “Procedures may change as needs dictate “

As many other vaccinated passengers assume while cruising in this startup phase, I can accept the risk of being exposed, considering the mild medical reaction I will most likely experience. But for me, I’m very concerned about a lengthy stay in a inside cabin on deck two, and an uncertain future in a foreign port after being forced off the ship. 

Oh…BTW…Linda and I have also had COVID several months ago. Mild symptoms thank God, considering both of us are early 70s. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes this was discussed when the first Millennium sailing had two positive cases.

(They were in the same cabin)

Positive cases were moved to deck two and close contacts were quarantined in their own cabin until test results came back.

Celebrity cared for all very well including making arrangements home for the 2 that tested positive.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Fist off, my cruise is not scheduled until September 17, so God knows what will be the environment by then. But I wanted to point out something that Celebrity mentioned in the fine print if you test positive during the cruise, regardless of symptoms or prior vaccination status. You and your cabin mates will be moved to deck 2 to quarantine in special cabins, then disembarked at next port. Some people may be under the misimpression that they can quarantine in their suite until the vessel returns to home port. Not true. I have also read it’s possible that by being identified in a group exposed to a positive passenger, you and those in your cabin may be quarantined and possible disembarked, regardless of initial rapid test or PCR results. I admit there is a lot of confusion on this procedure. 

Point is this….don’t assume if your exposed to a positive passenger, you will just be asked to quarantine in your expensive suite or cabin. And worse than that, be required to leave the ship at next port and be subject to that countries requirements for possible hospitalization, quarantine facilities, etc. Celebrity must make it crystal clear on their support policies and stop using the “Procedures may change as needs dictate “

As many other vaccinated passengers assume while cruising in this startup phase, I can accept the risk of being exposed, considering the mild medical reaction I will most likely experience. But for me, I’m very concerned about a lengthy stay in a inside cabin on deck two, and an uncertain future in a foreign port after being forced off the ship. 

Oh…BTW…Linda and I have also had COVID several months ago. Mild symptoms thank God, considering both of us are early 70s. 

Can you please post a link to where you found this language?

36 minutes ago, Elkins45 said:

Can you please post a link to where you found this language?

I too would like to read the language first hand (if possible) as to better understand Celebrities' position

This is from Celebrity FAQ's on their web site. READ CAREFULLY. As you can see, along with moving to Deck 2 near the medical facility, at the next port you and your cabin guest, plus others that may have had close contact, INCLUDING THOSE VACCINATED, are also subject to debark. 

If someone of a group falls ill who will be debarked?

All guest that tests positive and close contacts will be debarked. This includes close contacts that weren’t part of this group. At this time, vaccinated guests who are close contacts are subject to debark as there is not enough scientific data to confirm. As this evolves, our policies will too.

If a guest tests positive and is moved to isolation, what care and amenities will be available to them? 

Guests, and their traveling party, that test positive for SARS-CoV-2 will move to isolation staterooms that are closer to the Medical Center and will enjoy complimentary amenities like Wi-Fi and room service, along with regular visits or tele-consultations with medical staff to monitor their wellness. 

Edited by runningtide
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, runningtide said:

This is from Celebrity FAQ's on their web site.

Thank you for the reference.. much appreciated....And very pleased to hear you and Linda came through your Covid experience well!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, runningtide said:

This is from Celebrity FAQ's on their web site. READ CAREFULLY. As you can see, along with moving to Deck 2 near the medical facility, at the next port you and your cabin guest, plus others that may have had close contact, INCLUDING THOSE VACCINATED, are also subject to debark. 

All guest that tests positive and close contacts will be debarked. This includes close contacts that weren’t part of this group. At this time, vaccinated guests who are close contacts are subject to debark as there is not enough scientific data to confirm. As this evolves, our policies will too.

If a guest tests positive and is moved to isolation, what care and amenities will be available to them? 

Guests, and their traveling party, that test positive for SARS-CoV-2 will move to isolation staterooms that are closer to the Medical Center and will enjoy complimentary amenities like Wi-Fi and room service, along with regular visits or tele-consultations with medical staff to monitor their wellness. 

How often does Celebrity test you during the cruise?  I was thinking it was two days before disembarkation?  So generally the next stop would be the home port (or maybe Nassau).  The issue with the Viking cruise is that Viking tests saliva every day.  Now, if you are sick and get tested during the middle of the cruise, its a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

How often does Celebrity test you during the cruise?  I was thinking it was two days before disembarkation?  So generally the next stop would be the home port (or maybe Nassau).  The issue with the Viking cruise is that Viking tests saliva every day.  Now, if you are sick and get tested during the middle of the cruise, its a different story.

Keep in mind that Celebrity has several cruises, including mine in September, are 9 and 12 nights. Its fluid when and how often Celebrity will test passengers once underway. That frequency could be dictated by a positive test on a crew or guest. In addition, some ports may require testing before going ashore. You could be 5 days into your trip, and because of procedures I indicated earlier, be disembarked in your next port, lets say Aruba. Im hoping over the next weeks and months, the procedures will become more clarified.  

Edited by runningtide

This certainly seems to be a cautionary tale about mixing with others outside of your immediate cruising group.   I'd be most concerned about being with a positive guest on a bus or van during a shore excursion.  You can't control who you are around.  I'd be mighty unhappy if I had to debark because I randomly got put with someone who tested positive.   Definitely something to think about before rushing to sail again.  (We have a September 25th cruise on Disney booked, but I don't see much chance that we will sail.)

• Like 1

Can anyone define what they mean by close contact?

We will keep our October cruise on Edge.  We've never been on Edge and have been to the ports so many times we have no problem staying on board.  That will eliminate one opportunity for close contact.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We will keep our October cruise on Edge.  We've never been on Edge and have been to the ports so many times we have no problem staying on board.  That will eliminate one opportunity for close contact.  

I hope that you love Edge as much as I did!  While I am not sailing until 2022, I do feel that by October many of the kinks/changes in the protocols will have time to be worked out.  Enjoy your cruise!!!

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

it is my understanding that close contact is defined as someone who was within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more within 2 days prior to illness onset, regardless of whether the contact was wearing a mask.

6 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

it is my understanding that close contact is defined as someone who was within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more within 2 days prior to illness onset, regardless of whether the contact was wearing a mask.

Unless the tables are well spaced out, which reports from Millennium MDR indicated they were not, that would put any dining venue at risk for close contact.

7 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Unless the tables are well spaced out, which reports from Millennium MDR indicated they were not, that would put any dining venue at risk for close contact.

Yes so we may be sailing with less than full vessels for a time yet

2 hours ago, runningtide said:

For a functional definition of close contacts, read the reports of the blogger who was quarantined on the Millennium. I would be careful about shore excursions and congregating at a bar with people outside your party, although I’m not certain anyone outside crew and people on the shore excursion were quarantined, and they were not moved.

We are sailing on the Equinox second cruise in a few weeks. We have discussed what we want to do and haven’t completely decided. I’m quite familiar with the pluses and minuses of testing for COVID, and I think that sooner rather than later, only the absolutely required testing (for entry into a country, for example) will be done on asymptomatic people - testing just to be testing uncovers situations that no one knows how to handle - but it does provide great data, it will be very interesting to see what happens with Viking.

I hear your concern about 9-12 days, especially if it’s the first or second longer cruise. We should know a lot more by the end of July, whether the two millennium passengers were a fluke or a trend.

5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

For a functional definition of close contacts, read the reports of the blogger who was quarantined on the Millennium. I would be careful about shore excursions and congregating at a bar with people outside your party, although I’m not certain anyone outside crew and people on the shore excursion were quarantined, and they were not moved.

We are sailing on the Equinox second cruise in a few weeks. We have discussed what we want to do and haven’t completely decided. I’m quite familiar with the pluses and minuses of testing for COVID, and I think that sooner rather than later, only the absolutely required testing (for entry into a country, for example) will be done on asymptomatic people - testing just to be testing uncovers situations that no one knows how to handle - but it does provide great data, it will be very interesting to see what happens with Viking.

I hear your concern about 9-12 days, especially if it’s the first or second longer cruise. We should know a lot more by the end of July, whether the two millennium passengers were a fluke or a trend.

Not judging anyone at all who is cruising right now, be safe and enjoy.  JMHO though, when I vacation, no matter where or how, I want as much worry and stress free as possible.  I’d be wreck with all this.

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Not judging anyone at all who is cruising right now, be safe and enjoy.  JMHO though, when I vacation, no matter where or how, I want as much worry and stress free as possible.  I’d be wreck with all this.

Oh don’t be a wreck! Everyone has to do what makes them feel comfortable. I’m not stressing at all.  With a little luck and knowledge My husband and I have kept safe while going out to restaurants and limited traveling for about a year now. I would never advocate that for a patient, but it worked for us because we had very limited contacts outside my work and we were relentless about masks and distancing for months after vaccination.

For an average middle aged person, their biggest risk was at home with their families, especially during holidays where the temptation to be unmasked around Cousin Pete who you haven’t seen in 6 months - just one time - was irresistible. I saw it over and over. 
Do what you feel safe doing!

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

As others have said, close contact can be the same ship excursion or even sitting at the same bar together a few days earlier.

Your Sea Pass card is really what they are tracking. Trace the cards that align with the positive cases and pull the video footage. 

1 minute ago, Seany527 said:

As others have said, close contact can be the same ship excursion or even sitting at the same bar together a few days earlier.

Your Sea Pass card is really what they are tracking. Trace the cards that align with the positive cases and pull the video footage. 

Their closed circuit camera/recording system also uses facial recognition technology, so you wouldn't even have to have a SeaPass transaction near positive cruisers, just be caught on camera near them for long enough.

So unless someone intends on living like a hermit in their cabin, there's no way to avoid "close contact" that could require at a minimum an extra COVID test or a short-term quarantine until those test results come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kstetser said:

This certainly seems to be a cautionary tale about mixing with others outside of your immediate cruising group.   I'd be most concerned about being with a positive guest on a bus or van during a shore excursion.  You can't control who you are around.  I'd be mighty unhappy if I had to debark because I randomly got put with someone who tested positive.   Definitely something to think about before rushing to sail again.  (We have a September 25th cruise on Disney booked, but I don't see much chance that we will sail.)

Because you were in contact with a person who tested positive does not mean you will be disembarked.  If you were in close contact with a person who tested positive you would be tested and required to remain in your cabin until your test results were complete.  That’s was the procedure with those that were in contact with the 2 positive cases on the Millie, once they tested negative (which they all did) then they were free to leave their cabin and continue on with their cruise.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Same here. I'm glad cruises are starting and look forward to reading trip reports, but though I'm vaccinated I'd rather not be left wondering about changing rules and the like. I do want to get back to cruising but I'm doing a land vacation this summer and will wait until 2022 to cruise, when I'm sure things will have a more established and predictable process.