A Yank With a Tipping Question

SargassoPirate

We don't tip after each drink but will give a tip in an envelope at the end of the cruise to anyone who we think has given us great service. It is more of a 'thank you' to us. Definitely not like the US cruise lines we have been on and not expected. 🙂

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for the responses.  I have traveled in the UK and Australia and usually round up the price of a drink or "buy" one for the bartender.  Haven't been thrown out of any pubs for bad form so far.

As someone else said, that would not be unusual here, but it is done when paying for the drinks, which is different.  We would give bar staff something at the end of a cruise in bars which we have used regularly, though as I think you are referring to a world cruise, perhaps three times or so during the cruise, since the staff may have a change over during that length of cruise. Large amounts are not needed, but the choice is yours.

Again as others have said, being pleasant and friendly with the staff will be greatly appreciated and you will find you can build up a good rapport with the staff, especially on a long cruise.

Edited by tring

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

On Marella it's AI but we had a table near the same bar every night so I went to the bar direct.The same guy got to know me and had our drinks ready as soon as we walked in.After that I bunged him a fiver every few days in appreciation.

That's sort of my plan at this point.  Show appreciation and reward good service.

Isn't it nice to have a tipping thread to comment on for a change?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

That's sort of my plan at this point.  Show appreciation and reward good service.

Isn't it nice to have a tipping thread to comment on for a change?

On Marella the only free mixers were from the gun.This guy used to give me the bottle and not charge.It was only a quid supplement but as you say, appreciated.

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Bring on the dress code thread and we’ll really know cruising is back. 

Oh great I will hunt out my collection of football shirts :classic_love:

Do you think my Newcastle shirt under my suit jacket will be ok on Black & White night ? :classic_unsure:

Asking for a friend :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

Do you think my Newcastle shirt under my suit jacket will be ok on Black & White night ? :classic_unsure:

Perfect. But only if the jacket is a DJ. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On Marella the only free mixers were from the gun.This guy used to give me the bottle and not charge.It was only a quid supplement but as you say, appreciated.

On my Marella cruise I was always given the mixer bottle and never from the gun and I didn't pay a tip up front. 

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for the responses.  I have traveled in the UK and Australia and usually round up the price of a drink or "buy" one for the bartender.  Haven't been thrown out of any pubs for bad form so far.

I appreciate good service from the servers and like to show my appreciation.

One thing that readers of the thread might not have thought about. "Round Up" might mean £14.50 -> £15 "keep the change" or £14.50 -> £20.

> I appreciate good service from the servers and like to show my appreciation.

Good service is included in the price. In addition AFAIK bar staff are on commission so maybe show your appreciation by ordering a more expensive drink instead of additional tips.

> Haven't been thrown out of any pubs for bad form so far

They might not throw you out but they are probably giving you the same service as everyone else.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Yeah,coward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

On my Marella cruise I was always given the mixer bottle and never from the gun and I didn't pay a tip up front. 

You probably upgraded to the premium drinks package that includes bottled mixers.We stuck to the included package and just paid a quid supplement which worked out cheaper as we drink the same voddie and wine anyway.When the guy gave us bottles without charging us we thought a tip wouldn't go amiss.

56 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You probably upgraded to the premium drinks package that includes bottled mixers.We stuck to the included package and just paid a quid supplement which worked out cheaper as we drink the same voddie and wine anyway.When the guy gave us bottles without charging us we thought a tip wouldn't go amiss.

I don't recall if we upgraded or not but sounds reasonable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tring said:

As someone else said, that would not be unusual here, but it is done when paying for the drinks, which is different.  We would give bar staff something at the end of a cruise in bars which we have used regularly, though as I think you are referring to a world cruise, perhaps three times or so during the cruise, since the staff may have a change over during that length of cruise.

Yes, I am planning for a world cruise.  Your idea about tipping a bit at the end of a WC segment is valid - especially for a room steward.  I always try to chat with them a bit and should learn if they are being reassigned.

I tried the little bit extra at the start of a cruise and never saw the server again, so now I just hand them a bit extra at the start of the evening since their assignments can change.  I make it a point to learn their name and find out a little about them.  The positive side of that has been that as I move around the ship for the different music venues, a server from another lounge may be working at the music venue.  I've had them see me coming before I see them and my usual drink is delivered as soon as I sit down.  I've even had servers from the evening before spot me in the buffet and drop off a mimosa or even a bottle of water if they know I'm going ashore.

You get back what you give out, a smile and a small gratuity can go a long way, especially compared to some of the cranky pants passengers that the crew has to deal with.

Thanks again for everyone's observations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrish2 said:

> Haven't been thrown out of any pubs for bad form so far

They might not throw you out but they are probably giving you the same service as everyone else.

I did learn in Australia that a fast way to make friends is to say "it's my shout" and buy a round for group.  One needs to be aware of the size of the crowd beforehand, though.

I had a pint in a small neighborhood pub in Alice Springs one evening, made the next one my "shout" and I never bought another drink the rest of the evening.  The regulars there loved having a Yank to chat with.

• Like 1

The only server ever who got to know what I wanted and had it ready for me was in the buffet on Ventura - hot chocolate around midnight every night for 5 weeks! 

Forgot to add - I did give him a tip at the end of the cruise!

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

On Emerald Princess I would go to the International Cafe for a take away Hot Chocolate before going to bed.  On the first night I told the Barista he made the best Hot Chocolate (he took time to froth the milk and stir in the chocolate properly). From then on every evening he would see me start my transition from Vines across the Atrium and have it ready for me to pick up and go.  
I tipped him a bit extra every 5 days, for the extra service beyond what I could have wished for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I did learn in Australia that a fast way to make friends is to say "it's my shout" and buy a round for group.  One needs to be aware of the size of the crowd beforehand, though.

I had a pint in a small neighborhood pub in Alice Springs one evening, made the next one my "shout" and I never bought another drink the rest of the evening.  The regulars there loved having a Yank to chat with.

More popular than a whinging pom,lol.Cranky pants,love that one.

So pleased to have a traditional tipping thread to comment on....

-- Would I tip the bar staff on board a cruise - absolutely no.

-- Do I have an issue with automatic gratuities - yes, very much so....if they are expected, just add them in to the base price and let me get on with my holiday.

Onboard, I will sometimes offer a small tip or gift to the cabin steward, and possibly the dining waiter at the end of the cruise, once, if, and only if, we have had exceptional service. Not because I think I should, have to, or that it results in better service, its just because I like to say thank you.

I don't concern myself with the business around what about the engineers / ship's company who I can't see - without them the ship wouldn't sail mullarkey - that's Carnival's issue, who just need to pay their staff the necessary rates and then ask me to pay the necessary fare.

If I don't get at least average service then I will say something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ardennais said:

The only server ever who got to know what I wanted and had it ready for me was in the buffet on Ventura - hot chocolate around midnight every night for 5 weeks! 

Forgot to add - I did give him a tip at the end of the cruise!

Probably the same server who had hot chocolate ready for me about midnight on our 28 Ventura cruise a couple of years ago!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If it's  nostalgia you want , then let's reccomend a return to Jackets and ties at Breakfast. 

I'm up for it ,  bring on the breakfast :classic_smile:

Alexander-Skarsgard-Pants-MTV-Movie-Awards-2016.thumb.jpg.6fb0b91ba26b7c94d1c14e70ef8764cc.jpg

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, kalos said:

I'm up for it ,  bring on the breakfast :classic_smile:

Alexander-Skarsgard-Pants-MTV-Movie-Awards-2016.thumb.jpg.6fb0b91ba26b7c94d1c14e70ef8764cc.jpg

OOOOOO ... errrrrrrrr. Which cruise are you on ??!!

🙂 🙂 

PS The only issue I have is that you are not wearing a matching mask ..........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

Onboard, I will sometimes offer a small tip or gift to the cabin steward

Not disagreeing with the tone of your post,  but the idea of a "gift" is interesting.

Our American friends on similar threads say that they buy the steward sweets, or fridge magnets (!) etc, but in all honesty, the best gift is always cash !