Using cell phone to text or call fellow cruisers on board ship

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, jean87510 said:

Put phone in airplane mode and turn wifi calling on.  You do need an internet package.  

Screenshot_20210713-124522_Chrome.jpg

Forgot to include this..  This can be used to text someone at home, right?

I've been using it for quite awhile so do not remember all the particulars. But I do recall the 1st time trying to use it and the ship's internet guru onboard told me I needed to have the package (which I had) and it needed to be setup before leaving home. I usually leave it on while at home. Recently, I had great connections while @ CocoCay as I had to make a number of calls and texts to send while away 2 weeks

Hope all works well for you!

On 7/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, Smithster said:

We will be aboard the Allure in October after over a year of being dry docked.  We are traveling with another couple and in past used a Walkie Talkie to keep track of everyone.  It was a pain the the %$#@.  but better than wandering the ship peeking in all the bars and shops.   I thought I heard through the grapevine you can use your cell phone on board the ship (or off for that matter) to locate your partner when your not together.  Via text or even call.  If anyone knows the answer to this question would love to hear from you.  Is there a charge and just how this works.  🤩

Yep. Just sailed on Allure last week and it was $1.99 per day to chat.

8 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

I've been using it for quite awhile so do not remember all the particulars. But I do recall the 1st time trying to use it and the ship's internet guru onboard told me I needed to have the package (which I had) and it needed to be setup before leaving home. I usually leave it on while at home. Recently, I had great connections while @ CocoCay as I had to make a number of calls and texts to send while away 2 weeks

Hope all works well for you!

Thanks.  I don't want to take a chance.  I'll turn it on before I leave home.

To use wifi calling, you need to set it up while connected to your carrier's network.  So if you are an ATT customer, your phone needs to show ATT on the top bar.  Verizon for Verizon and T-Mobile for T-Mobile users, etc.

Yes, you can turn it on and off, but I just leave it on.  Actually I use it at home as my cell service is marginal, but my wifi is great.

Once you have wifi calling set up, anytime you have wifi, you can call or text without using any special apps.  Just like you do when using your phone at home.  You can call anyone, text anyone, just like normal.

If your carrier does not support wifi calling (or if you prefer), you can use 3rd party apps like Whatsapp, Viber, Google Hangouts or Chat, Skype, IMO, etc, etc, etc.  The one issue with many of these is the person you are contacting needs to use the same App.  Some, like Skype, allow you to call phone numbers, but there is a cost per minute to do so.

I am with T-Mobile, so I have 25 cent per minute calling in 240 some countries.  But with wifi calling, it is free calling in any country.

21 hours ago, Sianli said:

Yep. Just sailed on Allure last week and it was $1.99 per day to chat.

And you did not have to have the Internet package for this? You just texted each other thru the app?

On 8/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, SRF said:

To use wifi calling, you need to set it up while connected to your carrier's network.  So if you are an ATT customer, your phone needs to show ATT on the top bar.  Verizon for Verizon and T-Mobile for T-Mobile users, etc.

Yes, you can turn it on and off, but I just leave it on.  Actually I use it at home as my cell service is marginal, but my wifi is great.

Once you have wifi calling set up, anytime you have wifi, you can call or text without using any special apps.  Just like you do when using your phone at home.  You can call anyone, text anyone, just like normal.

If your carrier does not support wifi calling (or if you prefer), you can use 3rd party apps like Whatsapp, Viber, Google Hangouts or Chat, Skype, IMO, etc, etc, etc.  The one issue with many of these is the person you are contacting needs to use the same App.  Some, like Skype, allow you to call phone numbers, but there is a cost per minute to do so.

I am with T-Mobile, so I have 25 cent per minute calling in 240 some countries.  But with wifi calling, it is free calling in any country.

Thanks.  This was very helpful.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ashland said:

We may over do it but we all have AT&T and add their cruise package (before we sail) we also have the ships Voom Surf-n-Stream (it comes with our cabin category) and we have no problems communicating with each other.

it's up to you but you could save yourself some $$$ by skipping the ATT package and just use Voom for calling and texting onboard ship.  Only issue would be when you're off the ship on a shore excursion but then you'll probably be with the person/people you're trying to locate!

We just got off Independence of the Seas and tha app worked great. If your group has your staterooms linked you can use the app for texting. It does cost $1.99 a day to use the test service but its kind of like group text and worked great on our ship. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, jcc1025 said:

We just got off Independence of the Seas and tha app worked great. If your group has your staterooms linked you can use the app for texting. It does cost $1.99 a day to use the test service but its kind of like group text and worked great on our ship. 

Is the $1.99 fee for each person using the app to text, or does it cover all parties?  

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 7/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Ashland said:

We may over do it but we all have AT&T and add their cruise package (before we sail) we also have the ships Voom Surf-n-Stream (it comes with our cabin category) and we have no problems communicating with each other.

I have AT&T and an iPhone.  I don’t have to pay for their cruise package to use internet calling.  I just enable WiFi calling on my phone, buy the surf n stream package and I’m good to go.  I even got a call about my car warranty expiring while sitting at the beach club at coco cay. 😂 

• 2 months later...