Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

19 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Sounds like they removed it to stop all the emails and cancellations but they still have no idea what they are doing.  And of course, final payment for me is TODAY.

Cheer up, with the speed of what's happening out there, this could all be cleared up by 11:59pm tonight. If not, cancel the cruise and pick another vacation option. There are lots out there. 

Interesting discussion. For anyone wanting to see the earlier version of the now-modified FAQ, may I suggest the internet archive.

The old version was archived before it was modified and I also archived the current version for posterity.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210717151108/https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-accepted

Going forward, when changes to the policy might not be as obvious, the archive also has a compare feature that will highlight any changes and might be helpful to those who want to track it closely.

Take care everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mabt said:

At the very top of that link (bolding mine):

"Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by a national regulatory authority (such as the U.S. FDA), or global health organization (such as the World Health Organization) are accepted."

It's pretty unambiguous.  Both the vaccines in question and the mixed dose regimen have been approved by Canada's regulatory authority, and therefore are acceptable.

Basically, it looks like RCI has decided to get out of the business of trying to define "acceptable" vaccination.  Instead, they leave it to the appropriate national and international authorities.  Which is sensible.

This 100%.   A lot of people seem to forget that FDA is American and in Canada we have our own regulatory body that approves things, Health Canada.  And Health Canada has approved the mixing of vaccines.   

So saying the mixing of vaccines has not been approved is incorrect.  

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

This 100%.   A lot of people seem to forget that FDA is American and in Canada we have our own regulatory body that approves things, Health Canada.  And Health Canada has approved the mixing of vaccines.   

So saying the mixing of vaccines has not been approved is incorrect.  

Yes, and its how I read it as well but (there's always a but) do I want to risk airfare, hotels, transportation, cruise fare only to get to the port and have some "go by the book" person behind a desk start to question what I have? That's a pretty big bill to pay only to get turned away while someone else with the same credentials sails through another line only because that agent looked did a "meh" and said "have a good cruise". 

We had booked and paid for a Princess cruise for November and their wording was very similar at the time of booking with no mention of mixing. I was even assured by the agent taking the reservation we were fine and then last Friday everything changed. Talking to an agent AFTER the release of the document and pretending to book a cruise I asked about our vaccine status and was once again assured all was well. When I pointed him to the FAQ on the Princess site he was surprised and said that he guessed we wouldn't be ok after all. 

I think the cruiselines made a mistake here, probably not all their fault when you consider the confusion DeSantis gleefully heaped on them. They should have started with restrictive policies that would gradually ease over time. That way you would be safe to book if you qualified. Bringing in more restrictive policies threatens those who have booked and paid, thus the uproar. "I was fine when you took my money and now I'm not?". 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, christinand said:

I emailed the health minister Patti Hadju. Here is her email if anyone else wants to

mailto:Patty.Hajdu@parl.gc.ca

Note that this is her constituency office.  I got an automatic reply to tell me to send my e-mail to her Health Canada e-mail: 

hcminister.ministresc@canada.ca

• Like 3

6 hours ago, christinand said:

Does anyone know when the tweet saying vaccine mixing was accepted was sent out? I'd like this date for my records as I may have a cruise certificate out of this.

I’m sure it was said even earlier but this was one I was able to capture. 

E1EB3A0E-AEBB-4596-9758-BF007E33BD49.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

I’m sure it was said even earlier but this was one I was able to capture. 

E1EB3A0E-AEBB-4596-9758-BF007E33BD49.png

This tweet is from June.  They are not accepting mixed. I spoke to Royal yesterday 

Edited by b_cruise

12 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

This tweet is from June.  They are not accepting mixed. I spoke to Royal yesterday 

I called them two days ago - I was not told that they are not accepting mixed. In fact, all I was told was that the policy is under review. 

Edited by nbsjcruiser

22 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

Yes, I am fully aware (unfortunately LOL).  Someone asked if they had a tweet confirming at some point they DID accept mixed vaccines.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XLVIII said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

Interesting that US study suggests J&J vaccine recipients now get Pfizer or Moderna booster based on success of AstraZeneca mixed dosing. 

Isn't that just a kick in the shins?  the US may soon approve mixing but it's not okay when the rest of the world, who has done their own studies, does it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AstraZeneca and Novavax are still in trial testing for US.  Wheels on CDC turn slowly.  Remember lots of politicos and bureaucrats were complaining that the Pfizer, Moderna and J&J vaccines were pushed out too soon.  One of the current POTUS/VPOTUS complaints prior to inauguration.

I thought I'd follow up with a little more up to date information on mixing vector vaccines and mRNA vaccines.

As we would expect, the situation continues to evolve and yesterday a study from the US revealed that the J&J vaccine may not protect against the Delta variant. As a result several eminent Doctors (e.g. Dr Wen, Dr Hotez) are calling for those people who received the J&J to line up for an mRNA booster shot. I also read with interest this morning where Dr Vin Gupta was interviewed on CNBC and had this to say:

“AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.”
The full link is here: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

The only mixing of vaccines with applicable verifiable data that supports its use is Vector+mRNA. Any cruise guest with a Vector+mRNA vaccine should be considered well protected against the virus. In fact, it would seem now that such a combination is better than a one shot J&J. 

31 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I thought I'd follow up with a little more up to date information on mixing vector vaccines and mRNA vaccines.

As we would expect, the situation continues to evolve and yesterday a study from the US revealed that the J&J vaccine may not protect against the Delta variant. As a result several eminent Doctors (e.g. Dr Wen, Dr Hotez) are calling for those people who received the J&J to line up for an mRNA booster shot. I also read with interest this morning where Dr Vin Gupta was interviewed on CNBC and had this to say:

“AstraZeneca, when combined with a Pfizer or Moderna booster, is showing tremendous levels of protection against delta, in terms of the antibody levels that are generated in patients.”

“I do think that those one-shot J&Jer’s should be given the opportunity, while we complete our clinical trial ... I’m already telling my patients to do it, if they can get access to it.”
The full link is here: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/dr-vin-gupta-encourages-jj-vaccine-recipients-to-get-a-pfizer-or-moderna-booster.html

The only mixing of vaccines with applicable verifiable data that supports its use is Vector+mRNA. Any cruise guest with a Vector+mRNA vaccine should be considered well protected against the virus. In fact, it would seem now that such a combination is better than a one shot J&J. 

Where did you get this from?  I have a cruise booked for October and I don't know if I should cancel or just wait and ride it out.

4 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Isn't that just a kick in the shins?  the US may soon approve mixing but it's not okay when the rest of the world, who has done their own studies, does it...

Slight difference in having the full dose of an approved vaccine and adding something more, than to have a partial dose of two different vaccines.

• Like 1

I hate to mention it but any of you see this news story today?  

Hope no one is planning to drive over the US border for their cruise before August 21st. I can’t believe they both aren’t opening at the same time on August 9th, when we allow Americans in by land. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/u-s-extends-travel-restrictions-at-land-border-with-canada-until-aug-21-1.5517529

• Like 2

6 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And what difference would that make?

Who knows? It took me 2 seconds to download a copy of the tweet just in case. My dad is a lawyer and taught me to always keep copies of things for your records. I certainly never forced anyone else to do the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, christinand said:

Who knows? It took me 2 seconds to download a copy of the tweet just in case. My dad is a lawyer and taught me to always keep copies of things for your records. I certainly never forced anyone else to do the same.

But protocols change all the time, having proof of an old protocol is useless. 

• Like 1