Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here is a worthwhile read to why Canada went to an extended period of time between doses. It address England partially as well. 

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/canada-took-risk-delaying-second-covid-19-vaccine-doses-now-its-vaccination-campaign-one-best-world

Interesting article. There was a piece on my BBC on line app this morning about how well Canada is doing with the vaccine roll out 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Interesting article. There was a piece on my BBC on line app this morning about how well Canada is doing with the vaccine roll out 

Once we had a steady stream of them we were good at getting them administered. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I have the same questions you have since we live in Ontario.  I contacted RCCL and was told by an agent, Anna, that the documentation we in Ontario have received is fine as proof of vaccination. 

Good to know, thanks!

13 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Interestingly enough (not that I hold much merit at this point) but the bold note about mixed vaccines has disappeared from their site.

Below is a screen shot from yesterday and today (9:05 today).

7 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Not sure if you've checked but the mention of mixed doses is now gone from Royal's Canadian website. That was fast. 

This is fantastic news.  Between the update to the Bahamian website, and now this (both removing explicit references to mixed doses), I think I should be good to go in Nassau.  Thanks so much for the update!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I am just starting to read this thread, so I apologize if you have got the answer to this before me, but I too had the same question.  RCCL replied with the email below saying they would provide us with free PCR tests to get us back into Canada if we require them (we are fully vaccinated).  I would assume that they would offer you a PCR test as well if you require it to re-enter Canada.

Good Evening,

I hope this e-mail finds you well.

Regarding your question about the PCR test:
Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Registration details will be provided during your cruise.

Best Regards,

Mike Bermudez
Executive Office
Royal Guest Experience Management

This is also good to know.  I'd understood this to be true from other threads and RCCL's language around the testing, but it's nice to have it specifically confirmed.

This thread has been so helpful.  Thanks to everyone for contributing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Not sure if you've checked but the mention of mixed doses is now gone from Royal's Canadian website. That was fast. 

Could you please show me where to look for the description on the Royal Caribbean's website about what vaccines are acceptable. Where it mentioned the mixed vaccinated guests are considered "un-vaccinated"?  I looked under the Frequently Asked Questions area but couldn't find the paragraph quoted. Thank you.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, kimlet said:

they might lose a lot of Canadian and other travelers unless they change it for this year and  next year too. I don't agree, if the supply isn't there for certain doses how is it fault of the people getting the shot

It doesnt matter if you agree, it is the rules.  Check yourself Karen...

On 7/17/2021 at 4:29 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Our government has failed us at all levels during this pandemic. 

I wouldn’t say that. They were doing the best they could with what they had. Might even turn out that mixed doses could be better than the same doses.

• Like 9

On 7/17/2021 at 4:38 PM, dswallow said:

I would suggest a nicely written note to Michael Bayley expressing your opinions of the mixed vaccination policy announcement relative to what you've been told by your own governments and requesting they change the policy, or provide you a guarantee you will be considered vaccinated in your specific case, or inquire specifically what they will do for you if you make full payment and wait for a later policy change if such policy is not changed later.

mbayley@rccl.com

I was just going to suggest this. Maybe someone made a rule off the cuff without actually looking into it. With Bayley’s office hopefully looking into it they might reverse their decisions. Best of luck.

7 minutes ago, christinand said:

This is the relevant paragraph

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-accepted

The paragraph specifically stating vaccine mixing isn’t accepted was removed however vaccine mixing isn’t accepted by the who or fda so i still think it isn’t accepted by royal caribbean.

At the very top of that link (bolding mine):

"Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by a national regulatory authority (such as the U.S. FDA), or global health organization (such as the World Health Organization) are accepted."

It's pretty unambiguous.  Both the vaccines in question and the mixed dose regimen have been approved by Canada's regulatory authority, and therefore are acceptable.

Basically, it looks like RCI has decided to get out of the business of trying to define "acceptable" vaccination.  Instead, they leave it to the appropriate national and international authorities.  Which is sensible.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, christinand said:

I think this travel issue should have been considered. As i recall naci said it would be internationally accepted. Off topic, but i’m worried i won’t even be able to cross the border when it opens.

Of all the places likely to block Canadian tourists, the US has to be pretty near the bottom of the list.  Pretty sure that's going to be a non-issue.

And it almost certainly will be internationally accepted, eventually.  It's just those of us who are pushing the boundaries who might run into issues in the short term.  Comes with the territory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bgoff60 said:

It doesnt matter if you agree, it is the rules.  Check yourself Karen...

🙄 Since when can someone not agree with something?

BTW I highly doubt her/his name is Karen.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, christinand said:

Thats an interesting interpretation. If only it were true but no one knows for sure.

Like I said, I don't see any other way to interpret it.  It's pretty clear.  I read the rest of the page carefully as well, and there is nothing contradictory there.

Having said that, this is the same company that states equally clearly that guests are required to take a PCR test within 5 days of arrival in the Bahamas, but several people have reported that the actual rule being enforced is within 5 days of sailing (which makes far more sense, to be fair).  So I guess there's an argument that we can't fully trust that what they say will match what they do until people actually try to do it.  But I'm pretty confident at this point, at least until something changes (again).

ETA: They do go on to say that individual countries might impose their own restrictions resulting in passengers being considered unvaccinated in those particular ports.  That could impact some cruises, possibly including those from US ports. I haven't looked at the FDA / CDC rules closely enough to be clear on that point myself.  But in that case, it's the destination county imposing restrictions.  Not RCI.  And not all RCCL cruises are subject to CDC rules.

Edited by mabt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gam888 said:

Could you please show me where to look for the description on the Royal Caribbean's website about what vaccines are acceptable. Where it mentioned the mixed vaccinated guests are considered "un-vaccinated"?  I looked under the Frequently Asked Questions area but couldn't find the paragraph quoted. Thank you.

2 hours ago, christinand said:

This is the relevant paragraph

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-accepted

The paragraph specifically stating vaccine mixing isn’t accepted was removed however vaccine mixing isn’t accepted by the who or fda so i still think it isn’t accepted by royal caribbean.

Check on this thread. Some posted a screenshot. It was online maybe for about 24 hours but is gone again.

steamboats

7 hours ago, gam888 said:

Can't, it's gone now. Was a bad decision from the beginning so they corrected it real fast. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Can't, it's gone now. Was a bad decision from the beginning so they corrected it real fast. 

This is a screen shot of the quote that was online for 24 hours.  Removing it doesn't mean the requirement is gone.  I have still have my doubts until Royal makes an official announcement and doubtful they will.  I bet it was removed so they would stop getting "hate mail" (including from myself), plus the bad press (which could also be coming).

July 17.jpg

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm betting they took a whole bunch of refund calls for July/August with that policy...... which got someone's attention real quick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Was a bad decision from the beginning so they corrected it real fast.

It's not really corrected, it's just being reviewed and possibly modified

It wasn't their decision.  This is obviously a CDC directive that the cruise lines are following.  There is no way it is a co-incidence that four major cruise lines all posted basically the same policy the same day.

The only thing that I can see them clarifying is whether mixing Modena and Pfizer will be allowed as both Carnival subsidiaries allowed this while Royal and NCL did not.  None of the four cruise lines allowed the mixing of the AZ vaccine with an mrna vaccine

• Like 1