Mardi Gras - the case of the (no longer appearing) Coffee Makers!

Tom-n-Cheryl

First off, this is a “first world” issue I’m pointing out here. In the big scheme of things, it means nothing!

Having said that – when the amenities were first listed  (HERE) for all levels of the Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras, I noticed an addition which caught my eye. I don’t drink coffee, but Cheryl likes to start her day with it. It’s always been a difference we’ve noted between the cruise lines. On Celebrity, NCL, and Royal Caribbean (suites, and in some cases balcony cabins as well), they provide COFFEE MAKERS in the cabins – so one can brew their own and not have to call room service.

When I saw that Carnival was adding that as an amenity in the Excel Suites, I brought it to Cheryl’s attention. Interestingly enough, that was one of the small “factors” which made us decide to take the plunge and book the Mardi Gras (it’s the little things, you know)! I mean Carnival was, albeit belatedly and at a slow pace, starting to make some changes specific to suite guests (one of the reasons we started sailing other lines).

I had no idea what type of “coffee maker” they intended to utilize in their suites. Might it be like some we’ve enjoyed on NCL or Celebrity (respectively):

IMG_0545-XL.jpg

i-FnvbgHr-XL.jpg

On Celebrity - there was even a kettle provided for tea (my weakness)!

In the end, it mattered not, as (just!) four days ago they updated their online list – and *POOF*, coffee makers are no more!

Now you see it !

i-hgP2Sjs-XL.jpg

Now you don't !

i-ZpMbvgC-XL.jpg

I can’t fathom why in the world they removed this minor addition to their cabins. Initially I thought that someone just was not using the right punch list when bringing in the final touches to the cabins. Thus, I had hoped that it would be added at a later date.  I tend to think that it goes to more of a concern over the (gasp) heating component of the coffee makers, but other ships seem to manage. Perhaps they’ll bring them onboard later? I don’t think that's still in the cards though, as on the same day they updated (deleted coffee makers from) the same info page for the Celebration.

So… cost cutting (pretty sad if that’s where they’re trying to shave some $’s) OR… the old “Hazard” defense?

Oh well… room service it is!  😉

Tom

10 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

First off, this is a “first world” issue I’m pointing out here. In the big scheme of things, it means nothing!

Having said that – when the amenities were first listed  (HERE) for all levels of the Excel Suites on the Mardi Gras, I noticed an addition which caught my eye. I don’t drink coffee, but Cheryl likes to start her day with it. It’s always been a difference we’ve noted between the cruise lines. On Celebrity, NCL, and Royal Caribbean (suites, and in some cases balcony cabins as well), they provide COFFEE MAKERS in the cabins – so one can brew their own and not have to call room service.

When I saw that Carnival was adding that as an amenity in the Excel Suites, I brought it to Cheryl’s attention. Interestingly enough, that was one of the small “factors” which made us decide to take the plunge and book the Mardi Gras (it’s the little things, you know)! I mean Carnival was, albeit belatedly and at a slow pace, starting to make some changes specific to suite guests (one of the reasons we started sailing other lines).

I had no idea what type of “coffee maker” they intended to utilize in their suites. Might it be like some we’ve enjoyed on NCL or Celebrity (respectively):

IMG_0545-XL.jpg

i-FnvbgHr-XL.jpg

On Celebrity - there was even a kettle provided for tea (my weakness)!

In the end, it mattered not, as (just!) four days ago they updated their online list – and *POOF*, coffee makers are no more!

Now you see it !

i-hgP2Sjs-XL.jpg

Now you don't !

i-ZpMbvgC-XL.jpg

I can’t fathom why in the world they removed this minor addition to their cabins. Initially I thought that someone just was not using the right punch list when bringing in the final touches to the cabins. Thus, I had hoped that it would be added at a later date.  I tend to think that it goes to more of a concern over the (gasp) heating component of the coffee makers, but other ships seem to manage. Perhaps they’ll bring them onboard later? I don’t think that's still in the cards though, as on the same day they updated (deleted coffee makers from) the same info page for the Celebration.

So… cost cutting (pretty sad if that’s where they’re trying to shave some $’s) OR… the old “Hazard” defense?

Oh well… room service it is!  😉

Tom

Did you consider it could be a temporary covid related hold for now? With once daily servicing of the cabin by the steward it's a possibility.

Edited by sanmarcosman

45 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I tend to think that it goes to more of a concern over the (gasp) heating component of the coffee makers, but other ships seem to manage.

Despite your apparent lack of concern over heating devices being a fire hazard, let me say that on NCL the provided coffee makers were routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians, and even with those precautions, we had one of the coffee makers catch fire while being tested in the electrician's shop.  Mr. Coffee almost went out of business back in the '80's from lawsuits over the failure of the auto-off switches in their makers causing home fires.  The switches have not improved much in 40 years.  It is a massive investment in man-hours to inspect and maintain these items from the staterooms, so while there may be reduced crew and crew assigned to other duties with regards to covid, the coffee makers may go by the wayside.  Also, given Carnival's environmental problems, it may be that using coffee pods (single use plastic) may be problematical for them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Maybe just me being an untrusting soul, I’ve never used a coffeemaker in a hotel (including Newell-stocked Keurigs).  An amenity I would gladly use on a ship is a fridge with the small freezer section.  Hate going several floors away get ice.

When I had a hard time locating an ice machine, I finally broke down, and called our steward. He said, don't go looking for one. I'll bring a bucket right up to you. 2 minutes later, we had a bucket of ice. And it was changed out daily. Let you steward do the walking. Thanks Ja!

20190731_114957.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

@Joe817

I usually do ask for the daily ice bucket from our steward.  Never bothered them the times they either missed filling the bucket or often we needed more.  That Caribbean air really dehydrates me & I”m not a “drinker”.

Each deck of pax cabins will have 2-6 "pantries", where the stewards get ice from the machine, and wash the glasses from the cabins.  So, there won't be too much of a walk for them, and pax aren't allowed to access the ice machines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

Did you consider it could be a temporary covid related hold for now? With once daily servicing of the cabin by the steward it's a possibility.

I thought that, but with the Celebration details also changed, I figured (HOPE TO HECK) that Covid issues (or excuses) would be a thing of the past by then.

I'd think that fewer trips to the cabin by room service would be desirable (from a "limiting contact" standpoint).

Tom

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

Maybe they had trouble getting Amazon to deliver them to the ship?  Next thing we'll hear about on the news is the mysterious coffee maker shortage.  Seems like that's one shortage I haven't heard about in the past year.  😂

You never know what's next - lol (whether real, or contrived)!

Tom

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Despite your apparent lack of concern over heating devices being a fire hazard, let me say that on NCL the provided coffee makers were routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians, and even with those precautions, we had one of the coffee makers catch fire while being tested in the electrician's shop.  Mr. Coffee almost went out of business back in the '80's from lawsuits over the failure of the auto-off switches in their makers causing home fires.  The switches have not improved much in 40 years.  It is a massive investment in man-hours to inspect and maintain these items from the staterooms, so while there may be reduced crew and crew assigned to other duties with regards to covid, the coffee makers may go by the wayside.  Also, given Carnival's environmental problems, it may be that using coffee pods (single use plastic) may be problematical for them.

Good reasoning. I wonder why the other lines haven't "pulled the plug" on such things as well?

Tom

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Each deck of pax cabins will have 2-6 "pantries", where the stewards get ice from the machine, and wash the glasses from the cabins.  So, there won't be too much of a walk for them, and pax aren't allowed to access the ice machines.

Good info! Thanks cheng! No wonder I couldn't find the ice machines! :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Maybe just me being an untrusting soul, I’ve never used a coffeemaker in a hotel (including Newell-stocked Keurigs).  An amenity I would gladly use on a ship is a fridge with the small freezer section.  Hate going several floors away get ice.

Yep - there's many things we take for granted (at hotels and many other places) as being safe or sanitized!

Tom

1 hour ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I agree, Germophobe me has heard too many horror stories about things that are “washed” using the coffee maker.

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Good reasoning. I wonder why the other lines haven't "pulled the plug" on such things as well?

Tom

As for the man-hours, other lines may have different profit margins and can absorb the cost.  As for plastic use of coffee pods, other lines have not had the environmental tribulations that Carnival has had.

I really enjoyed coffeemakers in RCCL suites.  I had noticed the addition of coffeemakers in Mardi Gras suites.  We enjoy Carnival, but their suite amenities fall short.  It is a small thing actually, but I love to brew a cup of coffee when I first get up and call for room service later.  I am definitely NOT presentable first thing in the morning. Maybe they will be added later.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShaniBell said:

They are stll showing on the PDF versions of the amenities for Excel Suites.

You guys will be onboard the week before us - it would be a very pleasant surprise to have you discover that there are indeed coffee makers in there. 🙂

Tom

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

You guys will be onboard the week before us - it would be a very pleasant surprise to have you discover that there are indeed coffee makers in there. 🙂

Tom

I will confirm just for you 🙂  And since we will be on the cabin crawl and be in a presidential suite we can confirm there as well.  

• Thanks 1