FYI: Here’s what happens if you’ve been out of country 14 days before cruise

amypintx

I hadn’t seen anybody reporting about this since the restart so I thought I’d share our experience. 

We went to Aruba last week and boarded Vista in Galveston today. Here what happens when you answer “yes” to the question on the health assessment about whether you’ve traveled out of the country 14 days before the cruise. 

When we got to the station where they were checking vaccination cards, we were flagged for additional screening. We had to wait for a “runner” to take us through security (a separate, shorter line) and then up the escalator to an additional line. At the checkpoint we told them why we were flagged and they sent us to the line to register for the antigen test. We got the test (no charge) and then were sent to a waiting area. About 20 min later we got our negative results emailed and texted to us. Then we went to another line to get our boarding pass approved. Then another line to clear us. Then back to the regular line for check in. It probably added about 45 minutes to our check in. 

Side note: while we were waiting to get checked in for the antigen test, a man who had  been exposed on Wednesday to someone who later tested positive was being denied boarding. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On February 3, 2020, I returned from an overseas trip. On Feb 15 2020, I boarded the Breeze with a friend for B2B cruises until Feb 29. According to the new rules for sailing, I would have also been flagged for a test. Thank goodness you were negative. 

Edited by sailingships

40 minutes ago, sailingships said:

On February 3, 2020, I returned from an overseas trip. On Feb 15 2020, I boarded the Breeze with a friend for B2B cruises until Feb 29. According to the new rules for sailing, I would have also been flagged for a test. Thank goodness you were negative. 

You would also be tested in between B's. 

Thank you for this info!  Unless the “extra” cruise in the middle is canceled, we will have 12 days and then 13 days between three cruises in September/October.  Neither of us have ever been tested, looks like that may change unless Brilliance of the Seas in between two Carnival cruises is canceled.

5 hours ago, amypintx said:

I hadn’t seen anybody reporting about this since the restart so I thought I’d share our experience. 

We went to Aruba last week and boarded Vista in Galveston today. Here what happens when you answer “yes” to the question on the health assessment about whether you’ve traveled out of the country 14 days before the cruise. 

When we got to the station where they were checking vaccination cards, we were flagged for additional screening. We had to wait for a “runner” to take us through security (a separate, shorter line) and then up the escalator to an additional line. At the checkpoint we told them why we were flagged and they sent us to the line to register for the antigen test. We got the test (no charge) and then were sent to a waiting area. About 20 min later we got our negative results emailed and texted to us. Then we went to another line to get our boarding pass approved. Then another line to clear us. Then back to the regular line for check in. It probably added about 45 minutes to our check in. 

Side note: while we were waiting to get checked in for the antigen test, a man who had  been exposed on Wednesday to someone who later tested positive was being denied boarding. 

Thanks for posting this. NEVER even dawned on me that we were going to to have to do this, but reading your post it "clicked" that we will have to do this too.  We sail on the Sunrise Aug 19th and then on the Mardi Gras Sept 5th (less than 14 days apart)..... oh well, just have to pack our extra patients with us when we go in Sept! 🤪

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Thanks for the heads-up. We're flying in from overseas for this trip and will now expect extra steps at check in.

I wonder if this is valid for all countries. 

My sailing partner is also flying in  for this cruise from Europe.  This will be interesting.   At least we're driving to the port, so we can always do a 2 week road trip if we can't board.

2 hours ago, NancyC said:

If they test b2b cruisers, do they test the whole crew?  They have been out of the country also.  If I don’t get off the ship can I avoid the test?  

The crew are tested regularly (typically weekly). Whether you get off the ship or not is irrelevant, you technically leave the US when you set foot on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyC said:

If they test b2b cruisers, do they test the whole crew?  They have been out of the country also.  If I don’t get off the ship can I avoid the test?  

I don't believe that they allow you to not get off the ship on a back to back between the 2 segments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, floatn said:

THIS was the most concerning about your post: "a man who had  been exposed on Wednesday to someone who later tested positive was being denied boarding.  " What was he thinking??

He was thinking: I am vaccinated and have no symptoms, so the exposure is not significant. 

Either we trust the vaccine or we don’t. “We” is the country collectively, a government body, a company etc. I personally think if I am

vaccinated and not symptomatic then any exposures I might have had are not a concern. I also don’t need to mask up.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, NancyC said:

Only if you are doing b2b on Alaska cruises where you aren't technically leaving the US this year.

1 hour ago, Denverdonkeys said:

He was thinking: I am vaccinated and have no symptoms, so the exposure is not significant. 

Either we trust the vaccine or we don’t. “We” is the country collectively, a government body, a company etc. I personally think if I am

vaccinated and not symptomatic then any exposures I might have had are not a concern. I also don’t need to mask up.

yes, and that is how the virus can continue to spread. At this point, more often to those who are not vaccinated. Until enough people are protected sufficiently the cycle continues.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

This has been explained ad nauseum.

Then we are doomed to an endless pandemic and the restrictions it brings - at least until Darwin fixes it. Meanwhile there are BILLIONS around the world desperate for vaccines and the pandemic will go on for some time.

Fully vaccinated are still dying from covid. The unvaccinated are to blame. Masks and quarantines are here for the foreseeable future.

That isn't what science says. And there other variants already on the way. Vaccine passports would address your concern.

I don’t need a vaccine passport- because I don’t care if an unvaccinated person contracts it. I care about those that can’t be vaccinated due to health reasons. So I was vaccinated to help that. But I refuse to stay home in fear because some people choose no vaccine and mask or anything else. That’s their risk.

I meant at land- at sea I agree I care if people are vaccinated because I don’t want those restrictions I am ok with that rule. 95% ships seem to work. They should continue.

It is only a pandemic if we treat it like one. If we treat covid like other viruses, then it will run it’s course. We shut completely down last March/April. It was worthless, our county’s counts then were lower than now. But there is no acceptance or willingness to do a shutdown now. We have no mask mandate or quarantine rules for vaccinated folks- so I disagree they are hear forever.

some breakthrough cases and deaths have happened. And it stinks- but that risk is not enough to keep me at home or changing my activities due to fear.

the surplus of US vaccines should be sent to the rest of the world. We no longer have a need here- there is no demand for them.

• Like 1

I appreciate the information in this thread. Some people are not paying attention to the fact that unvaccinated adults are far more likely to become mobile petri dishes to allow this virus to mutate its merry way through the Greek alphabet. 

Is it that much of an ask to have all aboard 100% vaccinated ? 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

That is the way I felt too, but my elderly friends, fully vaccinated, both just got the virus.  

31 minutes ago, NancyC said:

That is the way I felt too, but my elderly friends, fully vaccinated, both just got the virus.  

And considering that 97.5% of hospitalizations and 99.5% of deaths from the virus are now among the unvaccinated, the chances are they would be much worse off if they had not received their vaccinations.

12 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Would this mean if we fly into US (F;orida) from Canada 6 days prior we would to do the antigen test at boarding?  Interesting I havent heard this mentioned prior to now.

Well, if you answer the question on your form as YES, which would be accurate then I would guess so.  

We didn't realize this when we booked our August (just a few weeks ago) so close to our Sept (been booked forever)... going to have to do it too.  But we are both vaccinated and both have had it too (prior to vaccination) so we should have "Super" antibodies and been good - I hope 😜 

Edited by wemjam

13 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Would this mean if we fly into US (F;orida) from Canada 6 days prior we would to do the antigen test at boarding?  Interesting I havent heard this mentioned prior to now.

Yes. I think that’s what will happen if you answer “yes” to that question.  Prior to our cruise I had found a question on the Carnival restart FAQ page about having been out of the country 14 days before so I knew we would have to take the antigen test. I just wasn’t sure about the process and was a little afraid they would try to charge $150 like they are for the unvaccinated exemptions. We got a PCR ourselves at home a couple of days before just for peace of mind but they still required the antigen at the port. 

On 7/25/2021 at 6:09 AM, wemjam said:

Thanks for posting this. NEVER even dawned on me that we were going to to have to do this, but reading your post it "clicked" that we will have to do this too.  We sail on the Sunrise Aug 19th and then on the Mardi Gras Sept 5th (less than 14 days apart)..... oh well, just have to pack our extra patients with us when we go in Sept! 🤪

Pray that you don't get a false positive.  It happens quite a bit with this (all of them) test.  There's a pro golfer who was tested and taken off the course about 5 weeks ago.  He had no symptoms and they removed him from the tournament.  He now tests positive again...  after testing negative for weeks...  I don't trust the tests at all and am avoiding taking one at all costs myself.

11 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Pray that you don't get a false positive.  It happens quite a bit with this (all of them) test.  There's a pro golfer who was tested and taken off the course about 5 weeks ago.  He had no symptoms and they removed him from the tournament.  He now tests positive again...  after testing negative for weeks...  I don't trust the tests at all and am avoiding taking one at all costs myself.

Don't think that one hasn't crossed my mind!  My husband said he would demand they test him again - like that would fly, right?  We were reading how there are so many things that can cause the test to be a false positive.  If they open it and leave it open to long prior to using it, if they read it too soon, if they read it too late, if they cross contaminate it. 😕

• Like 1