Help Needed-Hotel in San Juan and Barcelona March 2022

stcroixguy

I am hoping for some collective wisdom from the group.  We are booked on the transatlantic crossing from San Juan to Barcelona on March 21, 2022.  Because we will be flying out of Minneapolis, Mn and weather can be unpredictable, we have decided to go in a few days early.  Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in San Juan (maybe in old town) and in Barcelona at the end of the trip?  All help is greatly appreciated.  The Viking extensions are all full.  

Check out El Convento Hotel in  San Juan. I and others who did the Viking Ttansatlantic stayed there. It is next to cathedral and two blocks  to the Red Door  in the old wall . It is not cheap, but fabulous roof deck , courtyard restaurant, and included wine happy hour each day. 

• Like 2

In Old San Juan check out  El Convento, Hotel Casablanca or the newly opened hotel Palacio Provincial.  In Condado, a short taxi/Uber drive away The Vanderbilt is really nice.  Or if you have the time and wish to go on the island, check out Casa Flamboyant Bed & Breakfast on the back side of El Yunque.

• Like 2

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz and the Hotel Acta Atrium Palace. Check the location and pricing. Our first time in Barcelona we stayed at the Hotel Praktik Rambla which is a boutique hotel in a 500 year old building. We had a deluxe veranda so the room was a decent size. As much as we liked this hotel it got too expensive for what you got. We like staying in the Eixample neighborhood and make a point to not stay near the Ramblas.

• Like 1

How long are you staying in Barcelona?  We stayed at a wonderful apartment in the Eixample area.  I thought that area was really nice.  Walking distance to everything and away from the touristy Las Ramblas.  

Last time in Barcelona, we stayed at the H10 Casa Mimosa.  You could practically reach out and touch La Predera.  View from the rooftop bar area was amazing.  Very convenient location but away from the masses.  We booked a terrace room and it was delightful.  The h10 in the Gothic district is also very nice.  Great prices with excellent service.

El Convento is my choice for SJ. Stayed there 2 nights independently ahead of a Viking Caribbean cruise and it was fabulously authentic in a great location. 

There maybe better generic hotels in other locations but for me this was the place to stay and we will stay again if ever in SJ. 

• Like 2

Regarding location of ship in San Juan: for our 2019 sailing to Barcelona it docked at the PanAm pier.  Early on Viking showed Old Town pier but then changed (45 days out?) We had booked the Sheraton at old town which overlooks the pier and it did in fact overlook all the ships but not ours.  But we just had to take a cab around to PanAm on other side of  harbor. No big deal. I liked the hotel

If you would like less expensive options in San Juan (or have free Hyatt nights like we did) consider the Hyatt House or Hyatt Place. They are NOT located in Old Town but it was a short Uber/Lyft ($8?) ride each way. We have done two TAs from San Juan. The first (2018) left from the Old Town piers and the second (2019) left from the Pan American piers. As I recall this was due to construction work taking place at the Old Town Piers. 

In Barcelona we have stayed at Hotel Rec which is located near the Arc d’Triomph. It has small rooms but a great rooftop bar/breakfast room and small dipping pool. 

When there have been more than just us two (or when staying longer than one or two nights) we have stayed at Apartamentos Hispanos 7 Suiza which is literally around the corner from Sagrada Familia. This hotel offers two bedroom/two bathroom apartments with a small fully equipped kitchen(including a combi washer/dryer), small living room, and a dining table. 

Enjoy your cruise, we have loved all 2.5 of ours!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

In Barcelona we have stayed at Hotel Rec which is located near the Arc d’Triomph. It has small rooms but a great rooftop bar/breakfast room and small dipping pool. 

Thank you Clay for educating me. I thought there was only Arc and that was the one is Paris. I had to google it to check and of course you are correct there is one in Barcelona as well.

It is always good to learn something new each day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Thank you Clay for educating me. I thought there was only Arc and that was the one is Paris. I had to google it to check and of course you are correct there is one in Barcelona as well.

It is always good to learn something new each day.

I was the same way until we booked Hotel Rec.  Its near the Parc de la Ciutadella, which is at the top of the picture below-a beautiful place to spend a pretty day. 

C3214DE3-4AA3-4C20-8D89-681581A00ADC.jpeg

• Like 2

We love Old San Juan and have cruised from there a number of times.  Yes Il Convento is beautiful.  It is small so often is not available on the dates we have wanted.  In that case we try to stay at Sheraton Old San Juan.  As has been noted it is directly across the street from the older cruise docks.  As your trip nears you might be able to see a dock assignment at the Port of San Juan website.  That might influence your choice.  The fun is rambling around Old San Juan  with many good places to eat easily walked from either of the above hotels.  One thing I will note is that Puerto Rico and San Juan have, in the last few years, implemented some very high tariffs on rooms.  For example, we booked a beachfront room at a Condado hotel for $300.  When the bill came due it was a bit over $500!!  No room service or purchases of any kind.  This fee, that fee, and high taxes.  Just for information, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 11:46 AM, stcroixguy said:

I am hoping for some collective wisdom from the group.  We are booked on the transatlantic crossing from San Juan to Barcelona on March 21, 2022.  Because we will be flying out of Minneapolis, Mn and weather can be unpredictable, we have decided to go in a few days early.  Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in San Juan (maybe in old town) and in Barcelona at the end of the trip?  All help is greatly appreciated.  The Viking extensions are all full.  

We love the Hotel Barcelona 1882 a couple blocks from the Sagrada de Familia. Beautiful , great deck overlooking city for drinks, and a fabulous breakfast.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, lextrvlr said:

El Convento in San Juan is quite nice. In Barcelona I would highly recommend The Serras, one of my very favorites and close to most places of interest. 

Second the recommendation for The Serras - very modern inside, fabulous food and service. Not inexpensive - EUR 330 for one night in 2018. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:53 PM, Cienfuegos said:

Our 2019 Viking Cruise docked at the "yacht pier" in downtown Barcelona, alongside the World Trade Center.  It was exceptionally convenient.

It docked there when we were on it but that was an unusual location as we were first assigned to the second location after you cross the bridge. We were notified of the  switch a few weeks before the cruise.  I have learned that Barcelona had established some new rules about docking so that might effect where you dock as well. Your overnight might not be at the location we are speaking of.  Do plan the extra days in Barcelona.  There is so much to do .  We Stayed at Hotel Gaudi, across the street from Paulau Guell which is shown on most maps.  Our room overlooked their rooftop and we could see the Columbus Column and the Med. from our balcony.  The rooftop of the hotel had 360 degree view.  About a half block off Las Ramblas, the center of old town.

15 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Second the recommendation for The Serras - very modern inside, fabulous food and service. Not inexpensive - EUR 330 for one night in 2018. 🍺🥌

I mean its still very expensive for a night my friend. For 500 euros I can get a 10 day cruise will 3 meals a day. Moreover, I will get a chance to see the world and enjoy the sea. Hotel is the place where you sleep, not the place where you stay for long eating or doing something else. In any case, I am sure they have their own customer base

• Like 1