BOGO airfair. Buyer Beware

SkeeterPilot

I am highly dissapointed in the BOGO airfair offer from NCL.  I have never used a cruisline book my airfair in the past but decided to give it a try this time.  We are on the Encore Setp 18th cruise out of Seattle and live in the Sacramento area.  When I got my flight information last night I realized that I made a costly mistake.  The departure times were great leaving Sacramento at 7:25am and arriving at 9:45am.  That is where the good news ends.  The flight is on Delta and if for their Basic fair.  This means that you can't even choose your seats until you arrive at the airport unless you wish to upgrade for $30 pp.  So now I'm up to $279.  You have to pay I believe $25 for each checked bag.  Between my wife and I that would be $75.  Now at $354.  The return flight is on Alaska Airlines at is horrible with a 9:27pm departure arriving in Sacramento at 11:30pm.  This on we would also have to pay for checked bags, another $75. for a grand total out of pocket of $429 minimum.  I checked Southwest airlines and round trip for 2 people $376 with the same times going and 11:45 am returning.  I email my PCC to try to cancel the BOGO only to be told that it is too late.  She says that I had to cancel before final payment which is impossible since I just got my flight info last night.  Do I have any recourse on this one???

I was able to select my seats with my Delta flight in September with no cost. Unless there are no available seats you don't need to upgrade.

All airlines charge for bags that cost is on you and not part of the NCL fare

Edited by saltsandknit

I always check airfare prices before I book with the airline.  For my December cruise out of Los Angeles the BOGO was a good deal even with paying the luggage fee.  Other times we've used Southwest because of their luggage flies free of charge.  The one thing I take for granted is using the cruise line airfare the return flight will be a crappy flight departure.

I would call Norwegian again and try to cancel, perhaps a different NCL rep will be more understanding.  Failing that I would call the airline and see if they can change your departure flight.  It doesn't hurt to try.

• Like 1

I've always been able to select my seats with NCL airfare. They give you a code at the top of your airfare like "ERG2TWX" and you go to the airline, where you can look up your flight and select seats.

Now we use a deviation,  which gets us in a day early, but $25 extra. We've had some odd flight times the day of the cruise. The deviation needs to be done a few months in advance though.

You always have to pay for bags.

Edited by ClevelandCruisin
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

I've always been able to select my seats with NCL airfare. They give you a code at the top of your airfare like "ERG2TWX" and you go to the airline, where you can look up your flight and select seats.

Now we use a deviation,  which gets us in a day early, but $25 extra. We've had some odd flight times the day of the cruise. The deviation needs to be done a few months in advance though.

You always have to pay for bags.

The deviation doesn't cost $25 extra.  NCL gives you a credit for that amount.  The deviation needs to be requested before final payment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkeeterPilot said:

The return flight is on Alaska Airlines at is horrible with a 9:27pm departure arriving in Sacramento at 11:30pm.  This on we would also have to pay for checked bags, another $75. 

In this part of the scenario I would be inclined to pay the $94 per person on Southwest (assuming SEA-SMF on 9/25) to go with the earlier flight and no checked bag fees, and just throw away the Alaska tickets.  If only I could do something similar on my outbound.

Curious how you know your outbound flight on Delta is the basic economy fare? I have a domestic return flight on DL booked through NCL to Phoenix and I can't see where it would say basic economy. I was able to select a seat and always knew there would be baggage fees.

2 hours ago, Middleager said:

The deviation doesn't cost $25 extra.  NCL gives you a credit for that amount.  The deviation needs to be requested before final payment.

The $25 credit is only if you book using the current air promo. Typically, deviation requests cost $25 extra per person. None of my flights were booked under the current promo and my deviations incurred a charge. 

I agree I have so much stress over the flights ncl booked for me. 4 different airlines and transfers In 2 different countries. I have tried to ask for help as Iberia airlines you can’t get anyone that speaks English. They tell me to talk to my travel agent which is ncl. Ncl will not do anything to help me. I paid for seats I think I can’t see them but my credit card was charged. 

Edited by stcsf04

got to do research before you book things, folks! 

All these details OP talks about are stated in the terms. 

I got a good deal on flights on Sept 4th Encore sailing. 200.00pp from DFW, direct, on American. It saved us about 250.00. We don't usually check a bag, so that is fine, plus we save money not having to do the pre cruise hotel. Our flight leaves at 6am, gets us to seattle at 9:45. With no checked bags, don't need to wait for those checked bags, head to NCL for transportation to the port, should be easy peasy.  

Another added benefit is that I will be doing a voluntary self quarantine before the cruise (both me and my husband work from home), then masks everywhere on day of the cruise, testing at the pier should be negative! I would normally precruise in seattle but don't want to chance testing positive. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

Yes they are but you don’t expect to be transfering airlines In a country you don’t know or never been too. My case Spain. Plus you have to fill out extra covid information for them. The problem is I can not see my flights on Iberia  app and  no one thinks it a problem.  Iberia it is hard to get someone that speaks English and they tell you to talk to your travel agent. Ncl says talk to airline so glad you all think this is acceptable!!!

Yes buyer be ware 

you get no support  they buy whatever they want and dump it on you. 

I have 8 apps for this trip. American, Iberia, Air Canada, United, Spain covid, Greece covid, ncl and the covid app TrustOne for ncl. This is a lot to manage 

Edited by stcsf04
  • Like 1

Certainly it isn't the most convenient option to let someone else choose your carrier and flights without regard to your preferences.  But in exchange you are likely saving a decent chunk of $$$.  They are going to book what is cheapest and gets you there to make the cruise without regard to country you fly through, carrier you use, or their particular seating/ luggage policies.  

Not fun times for travelling that is for sure

13 hours ago, stcsf04 said:

Yes they are but you don’t expect to be transfering airlines In a country you don’t know or never been too. My case Spain

I know it can be overwhelming, but changing airlines between legs of a flight is quite common with international travel, due to airport hubs.  If you're transfering flights in Europe then, unless you're flying on a European carrier that is based in that specific airport, you're almost certainly going to be switching airlines (maybe with a codeshare, maybe without). 

The airlines share alliances (IB and AA, UA and AC) and share their flights and passenger information, so it tends to be reasonably safe for the transfers as they're expecting you, and can rebook if the flight is delayed, assuming they're both on the same ticket.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, ClevelandCruisin said:

Deviations can be added up to 75 days before your cruise.

Screenshot_20210804-201944_Chrome.jpg

The NCL agent told me just before final payment is fine.  This is after they changed the final payment to 60 days for 2021 cruises.

But I guess going by this 75 days is the safer route.  And if wanting to change just before the 60d final payment, can still try and maybe NCL will allow this year.  Things have been changing a lot this year with the re-starts.  NCL seems to be more accommodating because they'd want more cruisers.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:10 PM, reeinaz said:

The $25 credit is only if you book using the current air promo. Typically, deviation requests cost $25 extra per person. None of my flights were booked under the current promo and my deviations incurred a charge. 

You must have booked long ago.  The current NCL promo seems to have been running for a long time.

Well, several months ago my TA also thought the deviation will cost $25, then we found out it's a $25 credit.

yeah I am guessing NCL found out they can probably save $50+ in their covered BOGO airfare for every $25 they give us as an incentive to fly on an alternate day, nothing like having 2K plus people flying into one port on one day to drive up prices

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I've had to rely on a cruise line to book my flights as many of the other lines have an option for your to book at their discounted rate but to pick your own itinerary.

We booked using the BOGO air for January 2022. While we won't receive are flight information until October or November, we already know, based on the online itinerary, that NCL has us booked on a red eye flight to Newark connecting through Phoenix. Using Google flights, I was able to deduce that this is an AA flight. Combin back, it looks like they have us on a Delta flight connecting in Atlanta. Unfortunately, even with the 3 hour time difference working in our favor, we won't land until 11:50 p.m.

We're debating whether using the BOGO air is worth it for such or poor flight schedule. However, we also can't beat the flight prices from California. If we account for the free airfare, we're only paying $100 per person (there are 3 of us) each way ($600 total). The cheapest flights for the three of us if booked directly would be about $1300 roundtrip.

11 minutes ago, jkrislc said:

We're debating whether using the BOGO air is worth it for such or poor flight schedule. However, we also can't beat the flight prices from California. If we account for the free airfare, we're only paying $100 per person (there are 3 of us) each way ($600 total). The cheapest flights for the three of us if booked directly would be about $1300 roundtrip.

You are the only one that can decide if it is worth the 700$ difference. We fly out of Utah it is never cheap so it’s worth the redeye out and the annoying late return flight. The 600$ savings on our flight pays for shore excursions or whatever other fun things we want. We can live with the inconvenience some people can’t and that’s okay too. We all choose what works

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, Middleager said:

You must have booked long ago.  The current NCL promo seems to have been running for a long time.

Well, several months ago my TA also thought the deviation will cost $25, then we found out it's a $25 credit.

Most of my current cruises were booked April and May of last year when there were some really great deals and even better FCC benefits gained from my cancelled COVID cruises

1 hour ago, jkrislc said:

We're debating whether using the BOGO air is worth it for such or poor flight schedule. 

Also factor in that if there are flight delays on a flight that NCL books, THEY are responsible for getting you to your cruise on time.  I heard on the news this morning that Spirit airlines has people sleeping at the airport for 3 days due to delays.  That's my worst nightmare, and it would suck if it happened, but if I were on my way to my European cruise in October and I had booked that flight versus NCL...I would be SOL.  With NCL booking it there would be at least some sort of compensation or refund or at least a chance of getting to enjoy some of my cruise.  

• Thanks 1

My travel agent was told by NCL just last week that there was a $31 CND charge for air deviation.  We are flying out of Detroit so I’m thinking it isn’t just a US promotion, especially since the NCL info above mentions Quebec.  Anyone book within the last week get the credit?

22 minutes ago, jtdlmc said:

My travel agent was told by NCL just last week that there was a $31 CND charge for air deviation.  We are flying out of Detroit so I’m thinking it isn’t just a US promotion, especially since the NCL info above mentions Quebec.  Anyone book within the last week get the credit?

I booked about two weeks ago and got the credit.