Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

On 5/14/2024 at 7:50 PM, BamaVol said:

I recommend stopping at a bar on the way to dinner and getting a glass to go.  We do that and then order a second glass from the waiter after we are seated.

...or just ask for a 'double' when you order it either in the bar or when in the dining room.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:59 PM, doghog said:

Starting with voyages departing September 14, 2024, Princess will designate separate dining rooms aboard every ship in the fleet to three table service options: Traditional dining offering an early and a late seating every evening, reservable dining times,

That is very good news.  We have always preferred traditional early seating.  We cruise Dec. 2024.  So this works!

• Like 2

It looks like i can’t book dining early as i’m not platinum and am a first time cruiser. Is that the way it works? It says i can’t book dining until i make final payment.

I already paid final payments (b2b 14 days and 7 days) and am Elite (don't know if this make any difference), and I am still not able to make dining reservation for private 2 persons for the Capri dining room on Enchanted (b2b sailing in August 2024).

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I already paid final payments (b2b 14 days and 7 days) and am Elite (don't know if this make any difference), and I am still not able to make dining reservation for private 2 persons for the Capri dining room on Enchanted (b2b sailing in August 2024).

Not sure why, except that they are changing the way the dining works so I heard by June (17th?) they will be erasing all existing reservations until the new dining is in place. So maybe they aren't letting folks make reservations.  Our MDR reservations have been removed from our October sailing, although the Specialty ones remain.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:18 AM, ecs66 said:

That is very good news.  We have always preferred traditional early seating.  We cruise Dec. 2024.  So this works!

We are sailing on 10/17, I wonder when they will let us re-book the dining reservations that Princess has already removed from our reservations?

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

I wonder when they will let us re-book the dining reservations that Princess has already removed from our reservations?

I have to admit that I have no clue how Princess handles all of this.  It's very confusing, and never consistent.  We just tell our TA what we want to do and cross our fingers that things will work out.  Things usually do.

We have just booked our Hawaii cruise departing from San Francisco in Dec 2024.

We are platinum members, but we can't make dining reservation also.  I know we were able to do it in the past once we booked the cruise, but seems like they have changed their booking policy.

1 hour ago, danny8826 said:

We have just booked our Hawaii cruise departing from San Francisco in Dec 2024.

We are platinum members, but we can't make dining reservation also.  I know we were able to do it in the past once we booked the cruise, but seems like they have changed their booking policy.

No bookings till June 17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 7:15 PM, NavyVeteran said:

A mini-suite does not have any dining priority. Everyone in inside, oceanview, balcony, and mini-suite is treated the same. Only a Reserve Class mini-suite or a full suite has any advantages in arranging dining.

So we got lucky and have a suite in Oct. does this mean I don't need to go in the site to choose a venue and time for the MDR?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

So we got lucky and have a suite in Oct. does this mean I don't need to go in the site to choose a venue and time for the MDR?

Thanks

Yes.

A passenger in a full suite has access to Reserve Collection dining whenever the MDR is open - breakfast every day, lunch on embarkation and sea days, and dinner every day. You don't make reservations - you just show up and are quickly seated.

You also have access to the suite breakfast in Sabatini's or another specialty restaurant every morning. No reservations are needed. This breakfast is prepared to order in the small specialty restaurant kitchen, and it was one of the best suite perks.

You will have complimentary specialty restaurant dining on embarkation evening. You will need to make a reservation, but you can wait and make it onboard. They reserve enough space for suite passengers for that evening.

Note: These answers are assume you are in a full suite. A mini-suite is NOT a suite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Yes.

A passenger in a full suite has access to Reserve Collection dining whenever the MDR is open - breakfast every day, lunch on embarkation and sea days, and dinner every day. You don't make reservations - you just show up and are quickly seated.

You also have access to the suite breakfast in Sabatini's or another specialty restaurant every morning. No reservations are needed. This breakfast is prepared to order in the small specialty restaurant kitchen, and it was one of the best suite perks.

You will have complimentary specialty restaurant dining on embarkation evening. You will need to make a reservation, but you can wait and make it onboard. They reserve enough space for suite passengers for that evening.

Note: These answers are assume you are in a full suite. A mini-suite is NOT a suite.

Thank you yes we couldn't get our cabin of choice an aft mini. TA called with a deal on a cruise two weeks later in Oct. a Vista Suite for a couple hundred more so took it. It's not over our actual anniversary but still Hawaii 😁. Plus a suite which isn't something we generally look at to be honest on Princess. Getting excited this reserve dining sounds unique.

23 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thank you yes we couldn't get our cabin of choice an aft mini. TA called with a deal on a cruise two weeks later in Oct. a Vista Suite for a couple hundred more so took it. It's not over our actual anniversary but still Hawaii 😁. Plus a suite which isn't something we generally look at to be honest on Princess. Getting excited this reserve dining sounds unique.

Reserve dining is usually better service, and you don't need reservations. Even if you don't have the same waiter every day, you will have the same headwaiter and one of the same small group of waiters. The real difference though is the suite breakfast. Once you have that, it may be difficult for you to go back. A suite on a two-week cruise for a couple of hundred more is a great deal.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think I must be the ony person who hasn't had any issues with making dining reservations. Yes, I agree with the multitude of people who think it's idiotic to expect people to "know" when they will want to dine on specific evenings. Port days (and various other happenings) can change the dynamic of dining times. I think the reason I don't have issues is that I "surrendered" and just book dining in the same dining room for 5:30 PM every night.

In the past this was too early for us but these days it seems to work out fine and allows us to make it to the early show in theater if we so desire. It also allows us to do almost any of the evening activities being offered whether it is the Yes - No Game, Trivia, Liar's Club or whatever. I have been able to book a shared table, a private table for 4 with cruise friends, a private table for 5 with family, and a table for 2. I originally thought I would absolutely hate the new dining arrangements but have found that I was wrong and the new system has worked quite well for us.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Reserve dining is not really unique. It is a portion of one of the MDR’s. The good things are no wait, personal service and one extra entree the rest of the menu is the same as the other MDR’s

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Reserve dining is not really unique. It is a portion of one of the MDR’s. The good things are no wait, personal service and one extra entree the rest of the menu is the same as the other MDR’s

Yes, same menu with one special (it was usually pasta) in the front of the MDR just inside one entrance.  The main feature is the service.  The head waiter is always the same person, with the same small crew of wait staff, who always remember you and your preferences.  In fact, it's almost like the historic past in traditional dining where the staff knew you. 🙃  I found that the extra cost for the cabin was worth the service in Reserve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Just not having to go into the site and book every day is a treat for me 😉. Plus who knows may be worth the extra for the mini that includes this for the future.

Thanks

On 5/31/2024 at 11:20 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Just not having to go into the site and book every day is a treat for me 😉. Plus who knows may be worth the extra for the mini that includes this for the future.

Thanks

We haven't had to do that even one time since the restart and the Dine My Way craziness. We've booked same time every night with another couple, same time every night sharing, and same time every night table for two, etc. Even when booked for same time every night sharing we were able to get a table for two the few times we wanted to eat alone.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have Reserved seating but I won't pay the extra fee for the privilege.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We haven't had to do that even one time since the restart and the Dine My Way craziness. We've booked same time every night with another couple, same time every night sharing, and same time every night table for two, etc. Even when booked for same time every night sharing we were able to get a table for two the few times we wanted to eat alone.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to have Reserved seating but I won't pay the extra fee for the privilege.

It will be a new thing for us so looking forward to this. Disappointed only pizza not pasta at Alfredos on Grand lime the Sapphire, but will give it a shot as a casual dinning venue. Think it's only this and Vines so who knows on the casual thing.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:09 AM, Thrak said:

Sometimes I think I must be the ony person who hasn't had any issues with making dining reservations. Yes, I agree with the multitude of people who think it's idiotic to expect people to "know" when they will want to dine on specific evenings. Port days (and various other happenings) can change the dynamic of dining times. I think the reason I don't have issues is that I "surrendered" and just book dining in the same dining room for 5:30 PM every night.

In the past this was too early for us but these days it seems to work out fine and allows us to make it to the early show in theater if we so desire. It also allows us to do almost any of the evening activities being offered whether it is the Yes - No Game, Trivia, Liar's Club or whatever. I have been able to book a shared table, a private table for 4 with cruise friends, a private table for 5 with family, and a table for 2. I originally thought I would absolutely hate the new dining arrangements but have found that I was wrong and the new system has worked quite well for us.

Ditto...I have also found that even though we had a reservation it was easy enough to tweak the time if we wanted.