Oasis simulation 8/22/21

On 8/10/2021 at 8:53 PM, Baowen said:

I’m going!!  Can’t wait but it’s going to be a quick turnaround. Off the Ovation Friday then on a plane to New York Saturday   I’m checking the app and emails constantly also. Curious about the room assignment and hoping to get one dinner at 150 Central Park 

Beth

well that makes two of us doing both of these ships this fall.

I am on Ovation in 3 weeks.  How was your cruise and the shows and mood of the ship????  any advice.   I did cruise on Ovation May of 2019 

I am doing Oasis on Oct 17th for my b day.  Looking forward to not having to fly.

22 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well that makes two of us doing both of these ships this fall.

I am on Ovation in 3 weeks.  How was your cruise and the shows and mood of the ship????  any advice.   I did cruise on Ovation May of 2019 

I am doing Oasis on Oct 17th for my b day.  Looking forward to not having to fly.

Everyone was super excited to be back onboard.  Fellow passengers were friendly. The shows were half empty but still the same quality.  Elevators were amazing.  Never had to wait and the majority of the time they were empty.  You’ll have a great cruise!!

Just arrived at JFK from Seattle. Saw the ship from the plane before landing. We got a late check in time of 2:30. I tried to check in on the app and on the web page but was unsuccessful until we thought to turn off the Royal  Caribbean wi-fi.  Got our negative Covid tests - ready to cruise!   

• Like 3

Appears that Oasis has had a little circular tour close to the Statue of Liberty and now seems to be heading back into port.. The golf being played near by has had Sunday cancelled and the final day to be Monday. After the Anthem incidentI I cannot see any captain choosing to head out.

23 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

sounds like the worst of it will be in the PA/NJ/NY area Saturday / early Sunday.   Expect wind and rain Sunday but sail away at 7 pm should be fine.    

Anyone flying in for the test cruise may have weather delays so hopefully the bulk of passengers are locals.

Not so sure about that.  The forecast updates we get on our ship shows the storm centered less than 100 miles east of NYC around 7-8pm.  Winds forecast around 35-45 knots (gusting 50+).  At 7pm, Oasis will be leaving on a rising tide, to maximize the speed through the water and help her gain "squat" (where the ship sinks further into the water at higher speeds) in order to clear the Verrazano Bridge.  However, storm surge and cross winds may negate a lot of this, so I have my doubts about her sailing under the Verrazano Sunday night, unless the storm track moves significantly.

9 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

Appears that Oasis has had a little circular tour close to the Statue of Liberty and now seems to be heading back into port.. The golf being played near by has had Sunday cancelled and the final day to be Monday. After the Anthem incidentI I cannot see any captain choosing to head out.

Once out to sea, this is totally different than Anthem's situation.  The problem I see is the Verrazano Bridge, and whether the pilots will take a ship with minimum clearance under the bridge on a rising tide, with possible storm surge and cross winds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baowen said:

Everyone was super excited to be back onboard.  Fellow passengers were friendly. The shows were half empty but still the same quality.  Elevators were amazing.  Never had to wait and the majority of the time they were empty.  You’ll have a great cruise!!

oh thanks

any issues with dining in MDR or in the Windjammer?  did you do Northstar?

good luck with Oasis given the incoming weather

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not so sure about that.  The forecast updates we get on our ship shows the storm centered less than 100 miles east of NYC around 7-8pm.  Winds forecast around 35-45 knots (gusting 50+).  At 7pm, Oasis will be leaving on a rising tide, to maximize the speed through the water and help her gain "squat" (where the ship sinks further into the water at higher speeds) in order to clear the Verrazano Bridge.  However, storm surge and cross winds may negate a lot of this, so I have my doubts about her sailing under the Verrazano Sunday night, unless the storm track moves significantly.

100 miles away from this storm is a long ways away for a storm this compact. The wind field will be very narrow. NYC may end up getting nothing more than 20kt gusts

1 hour ago, Baowen said:

Just arrived at JFK from Seattle. Saw the ship from the plane before landing. We got a late check in time of 2:30. I tried to check in on the app and on the web page but was unsuccessful until we thought to turn off the Royal  Caribbean wi-fi.  Got our negative Covid tests - ready to cruise!   

If they don't board tomorrow you might give the hotel you are staying at has a room available for another night if she doesn't sail until Monday Night.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If they don't board tomorrow you might give the hotel you are staying at has a room available for another night if she doesn't sail until Monday Night.

Thanks for the tip. I will check with them 

Beth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

oh thanks

any issues with dining in MDR or in the Windjammer?  did you do Northstar?

good luck with Oasis given the incoming weather

We did windjammer. You had to make a reservation but besides that it all worked smoothly. Since we had the unlimited dining package we didn’t eat in the MDR except for 1 breakfast.  All of the restaurants have their menus on the QR code    North Star was broken but it sounds like they are getting it fixed. (Hope so). 

9 hours ago, Baowen said:

We did windjammer. You had to make a reservation but besides that it all worked smoothly. Since we had the unlimited dining package we didn’t eat in the MDR except for 1 breakfast.  All of the restaurants have their menus on the QR code    North Star was broken but it sounds like they are getting it fixed. (Hope so). 

You had to make a reservation for breakfast and lunch at Windjammer? On Adventure we just walked up and swiped in, no reservations. Were Solarium Bistro and Cafe 270 fully operational for breakfast and lunch? I'll be on next month, just trying to figure what to expect, thanks!

I live on Staten Island near the base of the Verrazano bridge.  No wind to speak up right now at 8:35AM and just a steady rain.

Is there a resource out there that can show me what time the ship is scheduled to depart?  Would love to get some photos of her sailing out, even in the rain!

My normal goto web page only shows September departures:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/new-york-port-98?tab=schedule&month=2021-08#schedule

Here are some photos of ships leaving from two years ago...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9GLGM

29 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I live on Staten Island near the base of the Verrazano bridge.  No wind to speak up right now at 8:35AM and just a steady rain.

Is there a resource out there that can show me what time the ship is scheduled to depart?  Would love to get some photos of her sailing out, even in the rain!

My normal goto web page only shows September departures:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/new-york-port-98?tab=schedule&month=2021-08#schedule

Here are some photos of ships leaving from two years ago...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmE9GLGM

7 pm departure is what I heard.

• Like 1