Sorry I “Moved Up”

Margarita Jane

There were actually more issues with this room when we first got there, so we did inquire about another AQ and were told none were available. Our room steward took care of a non-working refrigerator, bathroom light, closet door. This is on the 3rd sailing …So we were a little surprised at the maintenance needed. 

IMHO - I think they “moved up” a lot of people into Aqua….please don’t flame me, this is just what we experienced ….week 1 service in main dining room was much better than week 2 in Blu. Percentage wise, I think Blu was handling more diners than Silhouette. 

On a positive note, there were many, many good aspects of this cruise, and it was great to be back on the water. We enjoyed the entertainment, the trivia which we never came close to winning, the shows…..all the crew were friendly, helpful snd available. We did ship excursions which we normally never do, but decided to be conservative in the ports. They were organized well, and the tour operators observed Covid procedures which made us feel safer.

it was a wonderful escape which we needed. I just won’t do the move up bid again, and hoped to share my reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did a move-up just prior to covid shut down.  Got a room I didn't care for then looked at the open cabins on a European website and saw one I preferred.  Quickly called my TA and she switched me on the spot.  I was just lucky a better location was open.  I suspect whoever had it had moved up to a suite.

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I did a move-up just prior to covid shut down.  Got a room I didn't care for then looked at the open cabins on a European website and saw one I preferred.  Quickly called my TA and she switched me on the spot.  I was just lucky a better location was open.  I suspect whoever had it had moved up to a suite.

So once you have your room assignment, your TA can act on your behalf even if you hadn't moved up? Nice to know!  

I agree that doing MoveUp can be a crap shoot and you could get a bad location.  That said, I feel the need to defend Aqua Class.  We sail her all the time when we can't afford a suite (which is most of the time) and we have yet to have a bad room.  I do agree that some AQ cabins are not in a desirable location, and I also happen to agree that creating AQ was a marketing ploy.  But all AQ cabins are not in bad locations!  The cabins on Deck 11 on M class are great!  We have even regularly sailed in AQ cabins under the pool area and while it is not my preference, we never found the occasional noise all that loud or bothersome.  And we love Blu!  

As to me, I will only do MoveUp offers when they involve suites.  I don't think there is any suite I would mind having, even if it were not the ideal location!  Unfortunately, I have never had success with a bid for a suite but I keep hoping!

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

One more thought on MoveUp.  When we book a cabin, we have taken to writing down a note about what the upgraded cabins would cost (for us that usually means from AQ to a suite).  I have a feeling that sometimes people are making MoveUp offers for more than they would have paid to book the cabin in the first place!  I don't want to fall into that trap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D C said:

So once you have your room assignment, your TA can act on your behalf even if you hadn't moved up? Nice to know!  

Technically the rules of MoveUp are that you can't move staterooms.  I'm pretty sure that if this was booked directly with Celebrity it would not have been allowed.   Lucky for the other poster the TA was able to make the move.

I had a similar situation with a GTY assignment recently.  Celebrity wouldn't move it stating that was the policy with GTY (I know many have been able to swap) but when TA got in the office on Monday was able to do the swap for me within minutes.

54 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Technically the rules of MoveUp are that you can't move staterooms.  I'm pretty sure that if this was booked directly with Celebrity it would not have been allowed.   Lucky for the other poster the TA was able to make the move.

I had a similar situation with a GTY assignment recently.  Celebrity wouldn't move it stating that was the policy with GTY (I know many have been able to swap) but when TA got in the office on Monday was able to do the swap for me within minutes.

Actually I would be surprised if Celebrity would move any cabin if you are booked with a Travel Agent.  The booking should belong to the TA.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can debate the wording of the guidelines if you like, but the rule is enforced as:  no mention of Travel Agents or Agencies by name [or even hinting]

The guidelines should probably be worded as such then so as to avoid debate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Actually I would be surprised if Celebrity would move any cabin if you are booked with a Travel Agent.  The booking should belong to the TA.

As a total tangent to the move-up discussion, there seem to be hidden benefits to booking with a TA vs direct.  Would not have expected that. 

On 8/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, 2chiefs said:

Thanks for the info.

We always pick our cabins and now we know not to "move up" if we are offered something.

We never take a guarantee or a move up. Having had 90mph and 60 foot waves we choose the cabin we want and stick to it - wouldn’t swop our deck 7 angled balcony for a suite.

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

We never take a guarantee or a move up. Having had 90mph and 60 foot waves we choose the cabin we want and stick to it - wouldn’t swop our deck 7 angled balcony for a suite.

Not sure I'd even want to be on land near shore in those conditions, let alone on a ship (angled balcony or not.... love the angled balconies though!) 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, Margarita Jane said:

Just my experience….we did a b2b on Equinox, 8/1 and 8/8. We could not get the same stateroom for both sailings. On 8/1, we had a SV. It was great! On 8/8, we booked a balcony, and bid to move up to Aqua. We are Elite, but had never sailed in Aqua. Unfortunately, the stateroom we were assigned (1512) was under exercise equipment. Every morning at 6:00am, we were awakened by the pounding of people exercising…and we are not early risers.

Moral - with move up bids, you are getting a guarantee and have no choice of location. I knew that, but with ships sailing at or below 50%, I didn’t think I’d get the worse Aqua available (😳).

Probably won’t risk move up in the future….

We always choose our cabin; we also endure that there's a cabin deck both above and below any cabin we select. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, wrk2cruise said:

I'd recommend an A1 on deck 11 on Summit with no cabins above you.  You should be able to get A1 for an A2 price using the Captains Club 1 category upgrade benefit.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, D C said:

Best spot on any X ship imho.  Only potential noise issue is from the movies on deck 12 (why is that even a thing?). We just tend towards the front of the room block.

I've only been on one cruise on X so far, on an S class ship in 1557.  It was quiet.  I agree with others who say that Aqua seems to be the worst locations.  For M class ships you can get deck 9 with possibly more noise above or deck 11 aft which might have more motion.  Like most people I'd prefer a cabin with other cabins above me.  My next cruise on Infinity is in one of those deck 11 aft cabins.

3 hours ago, D C said:

Not sure I'd even want to be on land near shore in those conditions, let alone on a ship (angled balcony or not.... love the angled balconies though!) 

Fortunately this was before we reached the heights of having a balcony - we had a nice inside down on deck 3. We turned down offers from passengers in 3 different suites to swop cabins. It remains the worst weather we have ever had and the only cruise with a mutiny resulting in passengers confined in their cabins before being removed from the ship.

21 hours ago, the penguins said:

Fortunately this was before we reached the heights of having a balcony - we had a nice inside down on deck 3. We turned down offers from passengers in 3 different suites to swop cabins. It remains the worst weather we have ever had and the only cruise with a mutiny resulting in passengers confined in their cabins before being removed from the ship.

You weren't by any chance on the Carnival Poop Cruise were you?

On 8/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, Margarita Jane said:

Just my experience….we did a b2b on Equinox, 8/1 and 8/8. We could not get the same stateroom for both sailings. On 8/1, we had a SV. It was great! On 8/8, we booked a balcony, and bid to move up to Aqua. We are Elite, but had never sailed in Aqua. Unfortunately, the stateroom we were assigned (1512) was under exercise equipment. Every morning at 6:00am, we were awakened by the pounding of people exercising…and we are not early risers.

Moral - with move up bids, you are getting a guarantee and have no choice of location. I knew that, but with ships sailing at or below 50%, I didn’t think I’d get the worse Aqua available (😳).

On 8/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, Margarita Jane said:

Agreed. We had a similar situation for our 30 July cruise to Alaska aboard Millennium. We had a really nice S1 (6145) reserved and then did a Move Up bid for a Celebrity, Royal (our real choice), or Penthouse. We got a Celebrity stateroom (7140) which we both disliked due to the stateroom layout, decor, furniture and that gawd awful lifted jet tub/shower combination. What a mistake that was for us. I will say, however, the midship stateroom was very stable with almost no movement, forward or to side. I'm sure we will give Move Up another shot, but we will be much more careful.

8 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I thought we had been cruising a long time. But we started in the 2000s.... you are a veteran!😎😂

well another person here posted yesterday about their first cruise in 202...so there are veterans and THERE are veterans!