Back from Magic- 12 tips

basketballdad

Great to be back on a ship.  Here are a few tips
1.  The BBQ place has limited hours... and great food.  Be sure to hit it.
2.  On embarkation day the Italian place is open and free
3.  There are small rooms with ironing boards and irons for free.  My white shirt for formal night was wrinkled and I just asked the cabin steward where the launderette (sp?) place was.
4.  On the private island the sun is intense.  Try to get a clam shell rental early as they sell out.  Be sure to rent a float, we felt it was worth it (our group rented 4).  First time spending money that way, we will rent again.
5.  The ropes course was good.
6.  We had left over OBC and left it for extra tips... they made it hard...had to go to guest services and stand in line.
7.  The 80's dance party was really fun and worth going to in our opinion.
8.  They had a military appreciation meeting.  We did not serve, but ran into it and stayed.  Very inspiring.
9.  We used GoPort to get to and from MCO and found it a good value.  Uber pricing was all over the board.
10.  We easily hit our noon flight home out of MCO with self check out about 845 am off the ship
11.  We got the fastest internet and it worked well- even skype type calling home

12.  The hub app was nice.  On the daily list of events tag what you are interested in and it will give you reminders throughout the day right before the events start.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, basketballdad said:

Great to be back on a ship.  Here are a few tips
1.  The BBQ place has limited hours... and great food.  Be sure to hit it.
2.  On embarkation day the Italian place is open and free
3.  There are small rooms with ironing boards and irons for free.  My white shirt for formal night was wrinkled and I just asked the cabin steward where the launderette (sp?) place was.
4.  On the private island the sun is intense.  Try to get a clam shell rental early as they sell out.  Be sure to rent a float, we felt it was worth it (our group rented 4).  First time spending money that way, we will rent again.
5.  The ropes course was good.
6.  We had left over OBC and left it for extra tips... they made it hard...had to go to guest services and stand in line.
7.  The 80's dance party was really fun and worth going to in our opinion.
8.  They had a military appreciation meeting.  We did not serve, but ran into it and stayed.  Very inspiring.
9.  We used GoPort to get to and from MCO and found it a good value.  Uber pricing was all over the board.
10.  We easily hit our noon flight home out of MCO with self check out about 845 am off the ship
11.  We got the fastest internet and it worked well- even skype type calling home

12.  The hub app was nice.  On the daily list of events tag what you are interested in and it will give you reminders throughout the day right before the events start.

What type of shuttle did they use at GoPort? How long before the shuttle left when you got on? Were they at the ship when you got off?

DH and I were also on the Aug. 12th Magic cruise. We had dinner at the Cuchina del Capitano the first night and it was not at all free. Was it open for lunch on embarkation day and then it was free? Would highly recommend the Cuchina - we ate dinner there twice and it was fabulous.

13 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

DH and I were also on the Aug. 12th Magic cruise. We had dinner at the Cuchina del Capitano the first night and it was not at all free. Was it open for lunch on embarkation day and then it was free? Would highly recommend the Cuchina - we ate dinner there twice and it was fabulous.

The Cuchina is only free at lunch time (except on the Mardi Gras).  It's not the same menu as the evening menu.  You get to choose your pasta, veggies or meat, sauce.  They also have a lasagna, which I haven't tried.  The pasta is very good and a great change from Lido lunch.

1 hour ago, sc4125 said:

The Cuchina is only free at lunch time (except on the Mardi Gras).  It's not the same menu as the evening menu.  You get to choose your pasta, veggies or meat, sauce.  They also have a lasagna, which I haven't tried.  The pasta is very good and a great change from Lido lunch.

At lunch the menu is "The Captain's Pasta Bar".  This is the same menu as Pasta Bella above the Lido buffet on Dream (which doesn't have a Cucina because there's not a full kitchen there).

captains-pasta-bar-menu.pdf

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

What was that about and what happened during the event?

Thanks.

The one I attended was very well done. They basically recognize all the veterans that attend. They then gave the microphone to anyone who wanted to tell a story from their time in service. Plenty of tears shed in the one I was at.

Military Appreciation | Recognizing Military Members & Veterans | Carnival

2 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

The one I attended was very well done. They basically recognize all the veterans that attend. They then gave the microphone to anyone who wanted to tell a story from their time in service. Plenty of tears shed in the one I was at.

Military Appreciation | Recognizing Military Members & Veterans | Carnival

Thanks for the info and link.   I'm retired Navy but not sure I would want to do that on vacation.  Cool of CCL to do that though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 1:30 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

I was on the Magic August 12 and would like to add a tip.  There is a wonderful, peaceful place to sit (on a sofa, in the shade) on Deck 11 aft.

131E4A88-9431-4361-B039-AB54FBC76F03.jpeg

CD680FD9-90DC-4D0F-A384-3A1D88A05ED8.jpeg

Good to know as my cabin is just inside the door and down the hall from there. Will be sailing Sept. 13.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, ColeThornton said:

Thanks for the info and link.   I'm retired Navy but not sure I would want to do that on vacation.  Cool of CCL to do that though.

Carnival has been doing this for several years and I have always gone.  They recognize the different service members (Army, AF, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) by having them stand at the appropriate time and at the end gather on the stage for a photo op.  Each branches song is played along with some patriotic ones.  There is a drawing but forget what it was for (free cruise?).  As already stated they pass the mic around at the end for anyone to speak with oftentimes information about being in the service particularly war zones that is interesting for those of us who served.  Well worth the hour or so.