Here is what happened on board when medical symptom reported on board

Sianli

Just got off our Allure cruise and it was a really great trip in every way. My husband and I had a balcony cabin and our daughter/husband/two young grandchildren were 4 cabins down. All cabins between us were unoccupied.  Saturday morning their 3 yr old was to report for final COVID testing prior to departure on Sunday. Mom mentioned that 18 month old had developed a croupy cough during the night and wanted to clarify if it was ok to come down to medical or if they wanted her to stay in her room. There is a bit of literature given to you re you should report any sniffing, increased sneezing, coughing, etc. They told her "NO" do not leave cabin. A haz-mat uniformed medical employee came to the room and administered the covid q tip test to the baby. We were all informed to stay in our rooms until results were in. A uniformed officer remained in the hallway, not very obvious to other guests, but clearly watching our doors. We were happy to learn that the test was negative, and we were all allowed to go on to Coco Cay. I can say that we all felt respected, protected, and very safe knowing how RCCL worked to ensure safety for all passengers and crew.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for reporting your experience. A lot of people have been wondering how it would be handled. This ought to make people feel more comfortable that Royal is adhering to protocols that will protect everybody.

That is not how it has been handled elsewhere according to some very public first-hand accounts.

• Like 1

I would hope anyone exhibiting symptoms and reporting them would be happy they are treated with care for both themselves and their fellow passengers. As a fellow cruiser, I want to know that the other passengers are keeping me safe, too.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't wait until people are allowed to have colds again without automatically assuming covid

Forget the colds. It is allergies that will cause more problems if every sneeze has to be reported.

Heck, my dad sneezed every time his upper cheek was lit up by sunshine in the morning. Lock him up!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I kinda pictured a door opening in the ceiling and a plastic tube coming down to suck the possibly-infected passenger through pneumatic tubes into quarantine land. But your way works too. 

They’re adding that in the next dry dock 😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I kinda pictured a door opening in the ceiling and a plastic tube coming down to suck the possibly-infected passenger through pneumatic tubes into quarantine land. But your way works too. 

Can also be purchased in the cruise planner ahead of time for 30% off!!

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't wait until people are allowed to have colds again without automatically assuming covid

We all look forward to that day, but until then it pays to be cautious.

A couple who report their trips on video ignored symptoms until she lost taste and smell. She tested positive, both were confined, but he went out for food because they got bored with room service. On the last day both went out for fresh air and sunshine.

Even if folks they exposed don’t die, they could have uncomfortable symptoms for days, miss work, etc.

Would you want someone to expose you or your child because they failed to act in a prudent manner?

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's funny...and I don't know about you, but I haven't had a cold in more than a year.  Hmm...could it be the masks I've been wearing? 

Judy

• Like 4

1 minute ago, foxgoodrich said:

That's funny...and I don't know about you, but I haven't had a cold in more than a year.  Hmm...could it be the masks I've been wearing? 

Judy

No, it couldn't, because of viral interference. Covid shut out all other seasonal viruses except rhinovirus.

Plus I doubt masks would work against all seasonal viruses yet have zero impact on covid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No, it couldn't, because of viral interference. Covid shut out all other seasonal viruses except rhinovirus.

Plus I doubt masks would work against all seasonal viruses yet have zero impact on covid.

You're forgetting the airborne potency of Covid compared to other viruses.

28 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

Judy

Can't speak for you but I don't think it's masks but more so constant hand washing habit and have learned to be aware of touching my nose, eyes and face in general without had wash. 

• Like 2

I don't know about you but the reason why I haven't had a cold over the last year has been totally to working from home.  I know people who had to go into the office who got colds just like every year.  Even with masks and social distancing.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

A couple who report their trips on video ignored symptoms until she lost taste and smell. She tested positive, both were confined, but he went out for food because they got bored with room service. On the last day both went out for fresh air and sunshine.

I would have thought a security guard would have been put outside the door. 

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I read it that they didn’t assume anything. They followed protocol and did testing then the family went to Coco Cay.

25 minutes ago, Floater4life said:

Can't speak for you but I don't think it's masks but more so constant hand washing habit and have learned to be aware of touching my nose, eyes and face in general without had wash. 

We’ve learned some new good habits during this time. I think masks don’t hurt and could help. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ryano said:

I would have thought a security guard would have been put outside the door. 

There were several things I wondered about, but at least it was not on Royal. Nevertheless, it should not be allowed to happen on any cruise line.