LIVE - 4cats4me’s last-minute cruise on the Majestic Princess, August 29, 2021

4cats4me

Anyone on board right now sign up for the Chef’s Table?

I talked to MD Neville today and it sounds like there is enough people signed up to have it.

He will let us know which day it is.

See you there

• Like 1

Hi there Cat Lady

I am really curious as to the ambiance on the cruise regarding the passengers.  With all the covid 19 and Delta variant and Lambda variant stuff going on, are you passengers friendly and open?

You sound like you are having a wonderful time.  Maybe when you get home we can get together with you mom and hear more about this trip. Take care

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coastcat said:

I'll be curious to see the numbers for the September 5 cruise (for which I need to start packing). Our roll call lost several people after the testing/mask requirement was announced.

We are still with you, depending on our covid tests. With the trend in occupancy levels posted here we should have a lot of space on the ship. Maybe some free upgrade possibilities? Got the suitcases out today. It has been so long I almost forgot where they were stored 😉.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Oh yes, the "first full day, welcome to the west side of Vancouver Island, hope you took your Bonine" portion of an Alaska cruise...

How good is the room service coffee? The one time I ordered the continental breakfast on NCL the coffee was wretched, so I'm hoping for better things on Princess.

I'll be curious to see the numbers for the September 5 cruise (for which I need to start packing). Our roll call lost several people after the testing/mask requirement was announced. 

Coffee is not spectacular Unless you pay for it but it’s tolerable. it’s really nice on board right now with only 1800 people; it’s the perfect number. There’s enough activity, yet it’s not elbow to elbow which makes for a pleasant cruise.  Overall, seems to be  it’s a seasoned group of

cruisers.  I spoke with the captain circle hostess today I have forgotten her new title I’m sorry, she indicates that there’s approximately 900 some odd first timers on board approximately 230 elite and I thought she indicated around 500 platinums.  
I can get more accurate numbers later in the week. 

went to the wine tasting today I’m not a big fan of wine but it’s always fun to go because I always learn something new. It was well attended.  I’d estimate at least 125 were there. 
not sure if I’m going to make it to the Concerto tonight or not, unless I get a second wind in the next half hour. 

Dinner was a lot of fun last night sharing with others but it did take a long time, But there was no urgency on my part either, to attend other activities. 

Had some Ramen from the noodle bar today and it was very good.  

I was a little disappointed in the offerings at the buffet. My husband and I usually only eat at the buffet because we love it so much. And it’s understandable that it looks a bit sparse right now due to the porosity of people onboard.  Even so, there weren’t as many offerings. Princess usually always has a wonderful pasta at the buffet, and all they had today with some macaroni and cheese thing which I didn’t care for. The beef at the carving station was very good, however.  I think for me, everything is laid out differently unlike in the past when they would have all those beautiful roasted vegetables when you first walked in and it’s just a different layout. I really don’t like my food served  in flower pots, either, However I enjoyed that black bean salad in the flower pots. It was exceedingly flavorful but I dumped it out of the pot onto my plate. So I like the small plate concept, and I did like the presentation of certain crudite.  
They probably have much more to select from at dinner, would be my guess.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

Hi there Cat Lady

I am really curious as to the ambiance on the cruise regarding the passengers.  With all the covid 19 and Delta variant and Lambda variant stuff going on, are you passengers friendly and open?

You sound like you are having a wonderful time.  Maybe when you get home we can get together with you mom and hear more about this trip. Take care

Hi @Knickearth

The ambience is the same as usual, even with all the new protocols. People are respectful and wearing their masks while walking around inside, but everyone here is very polite, except for my next-door cabin neighbor who wrote me a nasty gram this morning and slipped it under the door — actually, more of a passive aggressive gram ( but that’s a whole other story) LOL. 
i’m giving her a pass this time, but if there’s one more issue I will assert myself. 

Overall,  the atmosphere on board is very close to what you would expect on any other Princess cruise.  People don’t seem exceedingly freaked out by the virus or anything,  and I think everybody’s taking everything in stride. The energy level is quite high, actually. 
The employees are wonderful and they are thrilled to be back on board,  so That resonates with the passengers,  and as a result we are all happy, too. 
I think princess is an exceptional cruiseline.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Decided to go to dinner anyway and they sat me in this beautiful area in the center of the restaurant.  I decided to dine solo tonight as opposed to having a two hour dinner at an eight top. 
I do love sitting in the circle!

13C682B3-D26A-4EFB-8D7E-3A04E9059499.jpeg

165E4BA2-083B-4CB9-BE60-1A77CD95C463.jpeg

2DB50362-A400-421A-9148-104C7903E4D5.jpeg

BE0BE321-B875-4FDF-A11E-162F7369D309.jpeg

8EC38D54-964E-4257-B761-3C2880D00393.jpeg

B5582AA6-BA6F-46A5-8634-06A08AC4857A.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

except for my next-door cabin neighbor who wrote me a nasty gram this morning and slipped it under the door — actually, more of a passive aggressive gram ( but that’s a whole other story) LOL. 

Wait WHAT? Please do tell when you have a chance. You and hubby are good people so I can’t even imagine! BTW hope you are  feeling  better! Have some ginger if not. 😺

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Wait WHAT? Please do tell when you have a chance. You and hubby are good people so I can’t even imagine! BTW hope you are  feeling  better! Have some ginger if not. 😺

Hard cheeses and green apple can help as well. Order in - or pick some up at the IC on your way through the Piazza. Feel better - soon. This is the only rough bit, usually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I really don’t like my food served  in flower pots, either, However I enjoyed that black bean salad in the flower pots. It was exceedingly flavorful but I dumped it out of the pot onto my plate.

Flower pots? 🧐 I’m a buffet person, so I’m curious what this is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

@Kay S @HaveDogWillTravel Thanks for your positive comments. They are very much appreciated. 

@HaveDogWillTravel We met Francisco today and told him you spoke very highly of him. He remembers you. Unfortunately he’s not the room steward for the aft suites. Our room steward is Gerardo and he has all the aft suites so he has to cover multiple decks. It sounds like this is something new. 

If Gerardo is tall and from Mexico, you are lucky!  If it's him, he was our Steward on the Star Princess November 2018.  He is terrific!  He got off our cruise in Honolulu.

26 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

If Gerardo is tall and from Mexico, you are lucky!  If it's him, he was our Steward on the Star Princess November 2018.  He is terrific!  He got off our cruise in Honolulu.

Yes we have Gerardo as our room steward!

• Like 3

Weather today was perfect. Had a lovely breakfast this morning with crisp bacon. At lunch the Dunes cocktail was amazing (if you like sweet drinks) and fruit tart for dessert was yummy.

We had a small CC meet and greet this morning with some ship officers in attendance. I enjoyed hearing from the officers and meeting some really nice people from CC. Thanks to @stacy1231 for setting this up.

It’s been warm and sunny today so we could enjoy our aft balcony. Spent the afternoon at the indoor pool and only a few people were in this area. Loved having the sun shining through the glass roof. It’s been a perfect day.

Captain’s toast tonight announced there are 1845 passengers and 1370 crew onboard this week. 

Encore show was outstanding. The cast had amazing voices. So many goose bump moments in the show. Now off to see comedian Carlos Oscar who was so funny last night.

• Like 11

We ate at Crown Grill. Having been on 29 Princess cruises we have eaten at them on many ships. Gotta say this was one the best filets we have ever had.

They had oysters on the half shell along with fresh halibut and copper river salmon

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

As soon as the 2nd martini kicks in, tell us about the nasty-gram from your next door neighbor!

4 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

LOL Fight Club. It’s goin’ down!
Just Kidding!

Situation is resolved. I spoke with her this evening, And she is actually a very nice person. I inadvertently slammed my cabin door last night,  Most likely a couple times,  because I went  back-and-forth to the cabin in between various festivities, And the noisy door woke her up and she’s a light sleeper, so I just told her that I’m trying to be considerate and she really appreciated it.  

BTW: The show tonight was spectacular. All the vocalists were strong and the dancers were so good I’ve seen the show before,  but tonight’s was the BEST! 

Dinner  at Concerto  was delicious!

After being seated in the circle area, a lovely couple was  seated next to me.  Of course,  we ended up chatting,  and my dinner once again took two hours, lol,  but that was due

to the wonderful conversation with them.  Service was excellent. 
Table # 365. 
Had the beef medallions , medium rare,  cooked perfectly,  and an appetizer portion of the pesto pasta, which was so good, and the mignondises (sp) for dessert. I love mignondises.  I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about,  but I can’t remember how to spell it. That and the word  ‘hors d’oeuvres.’

And when the couple next to me had their dessert , they too were offered the mignon whatevers, and so I had two more to go along with the previous four I’d already had, and that doesn’t even count the profiterole Pineapple coconut cream Thingy I’d eaten 20 minutes earlier 
The good news is I haven’t eaten since then and it’s been four hours!

Two days on the ship and I feel like a cat whose used up 8 lives!

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

LOL Fight Club. It’s goin’ down!
Just Kidding!

Situation is resolved. I spoke with her this evening, And she is actually a very nice person. I inadvertently slammed my cabin door last night,  Most likely a couple times,  because I went  back-and-forth to the cabin in between various festivities, And the noisy door woke her up and she’s a light sleeper, so I just told her that I’m trying to be considerate and she really appreciated it.  

BTW: The show tonight was spectacular. All the vocalists were strong and the dancers were so good I’ve seen the show before,  but tonight’s was the BEST! 

Dinner  at Concerto  was delicious!

After being seated in the circle area, a lovely couple was  seated next to me.  Of course,  we ended up chatting,  and my dinner once again took two hours, lol,  but that was due

to the wonderful conversation with them.  Service was excellent. 
Table # 365. 
Had the beef medallions , medium rare,  cooked perfectly,  and an appetizer portion of the pesto pasta, which was so good, and the mignondises (sp) for dessert. I love mignondises.  I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about,  but I can’t remember how to spell it. That and the word  ‘hors d’oeuvres.’

And when the couple next to me had their dessert , they too were offered the mignon whatevers, and so I had two more to go along with the previous four I’d already had, and that doesn’t even count the profiterole Pineapple coconut cream Thingy I’d eaten 20 minutes earlier 
The good news is I haven’t eaten since then and it’s been four hours!

Two days on the ship and I feel like a cat whose used up 8 lives!

This post is making my heart happy! I can’t wait to be eating like this and often. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve been on a pre--cruise cut back for the last month. So far I’m down 9 lbs and I fully intend on gaining every bit of it back guilt free 😂🤣

• Like 7

On 8/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, 4cats4me said:

Typing from this tiny phone is kind of difficult. 
had a nice flight yesterday from Oakland, California, to Seattle. Beautiful blue skies here. 
from the time we landed until I got to the hotel, which is approximately 3 miles from the airport, was 45 minutes. 
Staying at the Doubletree suites, in Tukwila. I chose this hotel because of its location, so close to lots of restaurants and stores, specifically, there is a target next to the hotel, which you can access easily by going through a gate which has a code, that you will have to get from the front desk. 

they provide a free shuttle and after collecting the luggage, I proceeded to the third-floor and took the ramp to the parking garage and followed the signs directing me to the courtesy shuttles. Once in the parking garage you will have to go down the escalator one floor turn to the left like a do a U-turn and go back out. There is an island, island one, which is broken up into sections 1A through 1D. 
you are free to go to any section, and when you’re there, call the Doubletree Suites number, not to be confused with the Doubletree Seattle Airport, give them a call and the dispatcher will give you an estimate. She estimated 7 to 10 minutes, and the driver was there within three minutes.  When I arrived there was already a Doubletree van at the curb and the coordinator there kept trying to tell me that that was the proper Shuttle but I knew differently, but she kept insisting that that was the proper Shuttle. The shuttle driver comes out and says no you need the other one this is a different Doubletree. check in was pleasant. There’s hardly anyone staying here. 
The room is spotless. 
The beds are so comfortable, probably the most comfortable beds I’ve ever experienced in a hotel. I think this was probably an Embassy Suites at one time, due to the layout of not only the room, but the atrium. 
Hotel is  Directly across the street from a gigantic mall which has Nordstrom’s, JCPenney, Sears, Macy’s, as well as all the other usual stores one would typically find in a mall. 
Had  a fantastic lunch at Duke’s  Seafood yesterday, which is located at the mall.  

Evidently, they’ve won awards for their clam chowder so many times that they are not allowed to enter the contest anymore. LOL 

It was, without a doubt, the best clam chowder I have ever had. 
Pricy, yes, but isn’t everything?

and enjoyed a blood orange margarita to go along with the meal. 
There is  also a Cheesecake Factory  across The street. 
Will post updates later. 

I have stayed at this hotel quite a bit during my business travels;  there is also a McDonalds right on the corner and an outback steakhouse in the parking lot.  Unless the outback closed.

• Like 2

I know the Patters have been posted for previous cruises but I didn't take a screen shot and can't find them.  Friends going on cruise Sept 19 were asking what times the shows were.  So would someone either answer the question OR post one Patter for the week showing the evening activities?  Thanks so much.  Looking forward to our cruise on the 12th.

12 minutes ago, Trvlingal said:

I know the Patters have been posted for previous cruises but I didn't take a screen shot and can't find them.  Friends going on cruise Sept 19 were asking what times the shows were.  So would someone either answer the question OR post one Patter for the week showing the evening activities?  Thanks so much.  Looking forward to our cruise on the 12th.

The show times were 7 and 9:15. I posted the Patters from last week's cruise here: