Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

So I'm curious as to what happens to those people who were put off the ship? Are they just left there to fend for themselves? Are they supposed to quarantine for 10 to 14 days before they can leave that island.I don't want to be kicked off a cruise ship and just left on the island we are docked at if we test positive for covid.I'm rethinking our cruise in December if that's the case? Covid is getting worse by the day now! Any info would be appreciated!

13 hours ago, stunned said:

Jim, 

I know it might be a tough question to find answers to, but I’m curious if those being quarantined went on excursions with the passengers being taken off ship for positive Covid tests. We sail Nov. 7 and I’m second guessing if booking cruise line excursions is not the safest move.

Judy

They have not even said how many contacts so hard to tell.     I was speaking to someone (Wanda) and last month she was contact traced and quarantined but it was the last night of the cruise.   She later found out from the person that had the confirmed case sat next to her at a Zenith Luncheon.

I saw pax piling into those multi passenger taxi buses with about 5-6 per row.   Probably less than a 1 foot spacing.   We said to each other those people are crazy.      I hear they are social distancing on buses but reluctant to do a group tour.   I remember on past cruises people coughing and hacking and tried to stay as far away as possible.   Still came down with bronchitis .

13 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Taylor time....here you go!   Joanie

Georges Simenon Series 

Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 

Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series

Any books by Josephine Tey

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series, if you like historical mysteries!

JD Robb books and Robert B Parker

The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwel

MC Beaton books

Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series. 

Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 

Any books by Tana French

Any books by P. D. James.  

Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.

Snowblind” by Ragnar Jonasson.  (Book 1 of 6 - DarkIceland)

Cork O’Connor by William Kent Krueger 

Brad Thor

Thanks --- I just copied your post and e-mailed it to myself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

So I'm curious as to what happens to those people who were put off the ship? Are they just left there to fend for themselves? Are they supposed to quarantine for 10 to 14 days before they can leave that island.I don't want to be kicked off a cruise ship and just left on the island we are docked at if we test positive for covid.I'm rethinking our cruise in December if that's the case? Covid is getting worse by the day now! Any info would be appreciated!

No, it’s all covered by Celebrity. 
https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

go down towards the bottom, COVID 19 assistance. 

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think they improved the internet when they did the Revolution.   In my room I have a full 5 bars.   We had the same cabin on Silhouette and the internet was so poor they installed a router in my room. 

Don't think it was done as part of the revolution.  When I was last on Equinox (post revolution), the internet in my SS on deck 12 was dreadful.  They did come and install a router in my cabin.

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Private Journey by Celebrity

Has anyone every used Private Journey to schedule a private tour?    We have lots of OBC and don't want to do the ships tours.     The remainder of the ports will be curated tours only.    If so what was the range of prices and any recommendation on these ports appreciated

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

St Kitts and Nevis

I was thinking of an iPad but unless I misunderstood the apple agent they ones they have aboard are Gen 7.   When I asked for a price list she said the only one she had was in her head.   I will reconfirm later today.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out about iPads.  My current iPad Pro was purchased on board.  I have a ton of OBC on my next cruise and was thinking of updating it.

12 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Jim is this what you use when you order breakfast in your RS?

Thank you for brining us along on your cruise.

Yes.... Have used the same one in AQ, RS, CS and PS.     The only difference is we have a nice dining table to eat on.    On summit we went to Retreat instead as there was no place to put the tray and plates.

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'll be interested to hear what you find out about iPads.  My current iPad Pro was purchased on board.  I have a ton of OBC on my next cruise and was thinking of updating it.

Will let you know.    I believe the Pro is priced at $799

34 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

22 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Please note this program is set to expire on Oct. 31. It remains to be seen what happens after that date.

If any of those people have to be disembarked to a hospital, Celebrity does not cover that even under the current program They provide medical only on the ship so insurance is in order regardless of when you sail.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

The have information on the FAQ.    If I recall they current policy is only until the end of October and will be updated but they take you off the ship in hazmat to be checked out at the hospital or medical center.    They have shoreside agents to take care of coordination and lodging.    They then arrange a private air ambulance and make arrangements for you to return home.   This is paid for currently by Celebrity.

I have a MediJet policy and it has Covid coverage just in case.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I saw pax piling into those multi passenger taxi buses with about 5-6 per row.   Probably less than a 1 foot spacing.   We said to each other those people are crazy.      I hear they are social distancing on buses but reluctant to do a group tour.   I remember on past cruises people coughing and hacking and tried to stay as far away as possible.   Still came down with bronchitis .

We had the same experience on our Equinox excursions in August.  On the Health and Safety section of its website, Celebrity states the following:   "Buses will be at reduced capacity and will be sanitized frequently."   Given that, we were expecting there would be spaced seating on buses, vans, etc..  However, what we experienced was that there might have been fewer total passengers on the excursion, but they used smaller vehicles and those 15-16 passenger vans were absolutely packed.  Passengers were asked to wear masks.  Most did but there were always a couple who chose to lower theirs to cover their throat, not their nose or mouth.  Frankly, we might have felt safer on a private tour.

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Upgrades while aboard

Yesterday, 2 of our friends were able to upgrade from AQ and CC to a Suite.    It appears there were a number of no shows or people who tested positive prio to the cruise.  

They  were told that they had to wait until the 3rd day of the cruise to process upgrades.   Makes no sense since the don't allow down line boarding.

We now have some friends to share our time in Luminea and Retreat.  

• Like 5

8631824E-27EC-4692-B003-7501866F36F8.thumb.jpeg.3e97ab329e27bcef91616300c694f517.jpeg

Dinner 9/9

We had Dinner with our dear friend Wanda and Glen in Luminea last night.     We went early for us at 7:30 and the dining room was packed but emptied quickly. .

We had the Chicken Liver Pate to start and the Peppered Tuna. 

49F0E8EB-D55D-4C4E-B6A1-A4DB2476912A.thumb.jpeg.16d8d151b05f6679cbd48c74145fe1aa.jpeg

EA025315-93BE-4491-BCBB-8A4DD12AC77E.thumb.jpeg.2b97cdcac2cd85d98de52f0a810deaf2.jpeg

A8AB3CC1-C2A9-4C5A-8624-80EC252916A3.thumb.jpeg.53bf2aa1fb0ca500f0dcfd0c7a8c8073.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain

5 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Thanks for the link.

Troubling item is that the  promise that "  we fly you home"  if you test Pos ( & i presume are not too ill to trvl) expires in late Oct.  We are set to cruise in Jan 2022

Unless extended  it appears we would be on our own..with a Covid pos situation.  Not sure what to do??

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the link.

Troubling item is that the  promise that "  we fly you home"  if you test Pos ( & i presume are not too ill to trvl) expires in late Oct.  We are set to cruise in Jan 2022

Unless extended  it appears we would be on our own..with a Covid pos situation.  Not sure what to do??

Travel Insurance

• Like 3

9/10

We arrived Roseau, Dominica at 7:00 AM.    Another beautiful day and temps about 77 F and mostly clear skies.

This is a restricted port so can not tour on your own.     If not booked on a tour you can go ashore but only in the restricted small stretch in front of the ship where there are some stands setup

We will be staying aboard and doing my walking after breakfast.

F4E2A54F-4011-4083-9B03-072BB8FD3848.thumb.jpeg.b02b6e17137a2f791cac30611ad9fd53.jpeg

This is the area you can visit if no Celebrity tours. 

FA0215C7-5B41-4DCF-8705-D5CC49C9ECD1.thumb.jpeg.ddf1d748635661ac24e1a56942892b14.jpeg

72972AE5-7700-49C8-87A1-361CDA03E34F.thumb.jpeg.db29a69e8c1c517539170ffcb3fcd2d1.jpeg

30E64A70-59B1-4A39-8CBF-339CC13C81B3.thumb.jpeg.7f7f69a747564f12d595ca24d1900ed9.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Upgrades while aboard

Yesterday, 2 of our friends were able to upgrade from AQ and CC to a Suite.    It appears there were a number of no shows or people who tested positive prio to the cruise.  

They  were told that they had to wait until the 3rd day of the cruise to process upgrades.   Makes no sense since the don't allow down line boarding.

If you don't mind answering How much was upgrade from CC to suite

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Upgrades while aboard

How much were the upgrades?

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

9/10

We arrived Roseau, Dominica at 7:00 AM.    Another beautiful day and temps about 77 F and mostly clear skies.

This is a restricted port so can not tour on your own.     If not booked on a tour you can go ashore but only in the restricted small stretch in front of the ship where there are some stands setup

We will be staying aboard and doing my walking after breakfast.

F4E2A54F-4011-4083-9B03-072BB8FD3848.thumb.jpeg.b02b6e17137a2f791cac30611ad9fd53.jpeg

This is the area you can visit if no Celebrity tours. 

FA0215C7-5B41-4DCF-8705-D5CC49C9ECD1.thumb.jpeg.ddf1d748635661ac24e1a56942892b14.jpeg

72972AE5-7700-49C8-87A1-361CDA03E34F.thumb.jpeg.db29a69e8c1c517539170ffcb3fcd2d1.jpeg

30E64A70-59B1-4A39-8CBF-339CC13C81B3.thumb.jpeg.7f7f69a747564f12d595ca24d1900ed9.jpeg

If you change your mind..there were some good spice vendors along the pier. Not much else in the way of shopping  We also had a great tours.. public garden and fallls etc.  Natural island not over commercialized, but a  very poor island that suffered  hurricane damage. Glad to see it is coming back .

Either way, enjoy your day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree Joanie -   I have been jotting them down in an Excel spreadsheet.    Going back and reading the blog to find them again is a pain.    That is what I did last time to find the recommendations.   I sometimes Text myself reminders e.g. books, peoples room numbers etc.

Since I have the list going, I will keep it updated and will repost it as new suggestions come in.  Easier for everyone.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5