Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Jim

Great news on your move to the PH for your next leg. So pleased to hear this.

In case you have checked out the gym facilities, and you have a minimal concern about your calorie intake on this itinerary, you can ask to have a Peleton placed in your Penthouse for the next sailing (assuming, of course,  that there are Peletons in the gym.).

Just a thought.

Enjoy.

Randy

Interesting.     I'm not much of a biker --- I bought one and ended up giving it to my Grandson.

I usually use the elliptical in the Gym for my cardio and they are way to big to move around.  They use to have one on the HUGE deck on M-Class Penthouse.

Iain booked the Penthouse for my 60th birthday.   While we enjoyed it was just too large and too much service.    We would get trays of shrimp large enough for for a party of 12 daily. 

To be honest my favorite is the CS or RS.

Hi Jim! I have enjoyed reading your blog, it has been very helpful and insightful. My husband and I will be sailing on the Equinox on September 26 (12 night Ultimate Southern Caribbean Cruise) and we can't wait. There will be a group of 14 of us on this cruise celebrating a friend's birthday. We were supposed to do a cruise around Japan on the Solstice, but had to change our plans because Japan is still closed to visitors. We originally booked a Royal Suite, but decided to upgrade to the Penthouse. Can't wait to hear about your experience in the Penthouse Suite and additional advice/recommendations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brickellcruiser said:

Hi Jim! I have enjoyed reading your blog, it has been very helpful and insightful. My husband and I will be sailing on the Equinox on September 26 (12 night Ultimate Southern Caribbean Cruise) and we can't wait. There will be a group of 14 of us on this cruise celebrating a friend's birthday. We were supposed to do a cruise around Japan on the Solstice, but had to change our plans because Japan is still closed to visitors. We originally booked a Royal Suite, but decided to upgrade to the Penthouse. Can't wait to hear about your experience in the Penthouse Suite and additional advice/recommendations. 

Wonderful.    I will definitely be be posting lots of pictures to share.    She look beautiful. 

I'm planning a Murano dinner for some friend aboard and was going to ask if we can get the Wine Cellar Room off the main dining room.    Iain previously did that to celebrate my birthday.   It was very intimate.    I think it will sit 8 but will update on that when I find out if they will do it.

They have the Chef's Table (Chef B's Menu) there tonight.

15 hours ago, sgmn said:

Can I add my favourite , the Poldark series, set in 18c Cornwall. Author is Winston Graham 

Also I enjoyed the first dozen or so of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

I like Janet Evanovich other series- Fox and Hare I think it is called but didn't care for Stephanie Plum.

Laura

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting.     I'm not much of a biker --- I bought one and ended up giving it to my Grandson.

I usually use the elliptical in the Gym for my cardio and they are way to big to move around.  They use to have one on the HUGE deck on M-Class Penthouse.

Iain booked the Penthouse for my 60th birthday.   While we enjoyed it was just too large and too much service.    We would get trays of shrimp large enough for for a party of 12 daily. 

To be honest my favorite is the CS or RS.

Same. We had the PH on Millennium and just too much space for 2 people. Having two bathrooms is always a plus so the RS would be more suitable for us. 

I guess the folks at St Kitts have a plan when the Equinox arrives on Sep 14th. Will be interested to hear if it's any more of a "bubble" than the other Caribbean ports you'll be visiting.

Port Zante to Become a Bubble for Arrival of Celebrity Equinox on September 14 – ZIZ Broadcasting Corporation (zizonline.com)

1 hour ago, brickellcruiser said:

Thank you so much Jim! Would love to know about private dining room options. We are Peloton fanatics, so would be interested to know if we can really get a bike in the Penthouse suite. Would make things a lot easier and force us to keep our exercise routine while onboard. 

Yes you can get a peloton in your suite.  We were on the Aug.15th sailing and a friend of ours was in the royal suite and she asked to have a peloton in her  suite and they said yes it was delivered the next day. 

suite and they said yes it was delivered the next day. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I've been invited on every cruise for the past five years either as concierge class or Elite+.  I can't go on Caribbean cruises, however, because I don't take closed-toe shoes.  My Florida feet only suffer closed shoes to visit northern relatives over Christmas or take northern TAs (my toes need to be free).

I was told I could sign a waiver for my sandals.  Mine have a back strap.  

29 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I was told I could sign a waiver for my sandals.  Mine have a back strap.  

Thank you for letting me know that.  If it isn't too hot, I'll ask next time I'm invited.  And maybe I won't need the new shoes afterall (have 3 pr of mule-style sneakers in the Zappos shopping cart). 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Private Journey by Celebrity

Has anyone every used Private Journey to schedule a private tour?    We have lots of OBC and don't want to do the ships tours.     The remainder of the ports will be curated tours only.    If so what was the range of prices and any recommendation on these ports appreciated

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

St Kitts and Nevis

I was thinking of an iPad but unless I misunderstood the apple agent they ones they have aboard are Gen 7.   When I asked for a price list she said the only one she had was in her head.   I will reconfirm later today.

weve done it sort of twice!  First on someone else wanted a mixture of two tours and there was a flyer out to those interested.  We were a small group of about 8 so not entirely private but not the standard tour either.  The second time I asked for a different tour in Quebec that included mass as a special tour for my mil.  They had less than a week to put it together as it was a Sunday tour.  They got the tour company to give them a guide and a choice of 2 different size busses.  They needed I think 8-10 to go.  They only announced it at the presentation and the shore concierge said it was full before she left the stage.  There were about 22 of us.  It was so popular they added 2 tours it to the following 2 sailings and had a waiting list.  I heard that from the concierge next time I saw her.  A few years later yet she told us they were landing late or were coming on Monday.  I reminded her mass was everyday and some of the English masses were in the evening!  She lit up with a huge smile again.  I’ve suggested I should get a commission for the tours, I did get a bottle of wine!  

I have a trip coming up that I’m considering for the two of us and maybe another couple if I find one.  It would be in Israel and my interest are different enough that I’m not likely to find more than one other couple.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Right now, that policy is only for cruises sailing on or before October 31, 2021.  It’s anybody’s guess whether or when Celebrity will extend it. 

id suggest that the decision is driven by the ports, at least indirectly.  They certainly don’t want ships scattering COVID positive passengers all along their route.  

59 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Thank you for letting me know that.  If it isn't too hot, I'll ask next time I'm invited.  And maybe I won't need the new shoes afterall (have 3 pr of mule-style sneakers in the Zappos shopping cart). 😉

I also had a rollator!  They worried about the ladders, I wasn’t concerned.  I remembering being on a helipad without the waiver and  haven’t worn closed toe shoes in at least 10 years, even in snow and ice!   I’ll admit that I often have socks on that are the same color as the sandals.   The time I asked about the restriction I didn’t go, but it was good to know had it been cooler I’d have been able to.   Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

They certainly don’t want ships scattering COVID positive passengers all along their route.  

Well, if ALL passengers are double vaccinated and have presented a negative PCR test prior to boarding, this should not be a problem.😱

• Like 1

Hi Jim

I haven’t  been on CC for awhile and just noticed your thread. We met on the Millenium in 2017 Far East / India. We had some fun In Michael’s Club. Good to see your cruising again. We’ve booked Dec and April and can’t wait. One thing I noticed is that you stated you had a SS but  you ended up in a RS ( apology if you answered this already ). What’s your secret to that upgrade ? 😁

All the best Iain 

Harry

Edited by harrywpb

18 hours ago, 39august said:

Jim will you please check down by GS and see if they are still providing daily crossword puzzles?

@39august    I checked yesterday and they DO NOT have any crossword puzzles.   They say they were temporarily discontinued to reduce touch points.

@Happy Cruiser 6143   I checked on the iPads last night -

Confirmed the Ipad's are 2019 Version 7.    I'm guessing it is stock they had on hand when the lockdown began.

The Pro he said is not Generation dependent and the price and the  prices are prices are $799 and 949 depending on memory

• Like 1

Got our tour planned today via Private Journey.    We were offered either a 6 hour tour or 4 and chose the 4 hour one.     We are doing the Norther shore and the price in my mind is reasonable at $300 for the 2 of us.    

ECBE7529-80D6-44C9-AE54-F7C81F74783D.thumb.jpeg.60334d44ffaed876a2dd65560b2ecf5e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Getting off the Ship -

Been advised that in each of the restricted ports passengers will be permitted off the ship into a restricted shopping area inside the port.   This will be the same in the next two ports.

St Lucias is fairly restrictive.    You can only go ashore between 11-3:00 and recommended to be back on ship by 3:00.     At 4:00 pm they have a HARD CURFEW and all business must be closed and people off the streets. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Getting off the Ship -

Been advised that in each of the restricted ports passengers will be permitted off the ship into a restricted shopping area inside the port.   This will be the same in the next two ports.

St Lucias is fairly restrictive.    You can only go ashore between 11-3:00 and recommended to be back on ship by 3:00.     At 4:00 pm they have a HARD CURFEW and all business must be closed and people off the streets. 

Very interesting, Jim,  and an example of how things change from sailing to sailing.

On our sailing, St Lucia was a free to move port. I love St Lucia and was happy I did not have to take a mandated tour in a moving sardine can😉.
Aruba and Curacao (on our sailing) were also "free movement" ports. All three ports had the curfew and times shops close and stuff.

I hope you enjoyed your private journey. Looking forward to reading about it.

Rushing to get  posts out before we leave on our tour.  Internet is good and I  just uploaded the 56 megs of pictures of dinner and menu in less than 2 minutes.

We ordered off of both menus -

Iain started with the Butter Lettuce salad and I had the Spinach Turnover (Main Dinner Menu). 

For main courses Iain had the Fresh Pasta and Shrimp and I had the Veal Cordon Blueu.   I would so the veal was so so but HUGE.    I could only eat half of it.

For desert,   Iain had his usual an Bailey's on the Rocks and I had Butter Pecan Ice Cream

She bought us a pallet cleaner again.   Be  careful for what you ask.

• Like 2