When will the 48-72 hour testing requirement be gone ?

glrounds

On 9/5/2021 at 10:46 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

My sister and BIL don't want the vaccine.  They do want to sail in Europe in late 2023 and are worried about not being able to get on the ship unvaccinated.   I wish someone had the right answer.

You Vill Comply...

• Haha 3

I suspect that cruise lines will start doing the quickie test as part of the boarding process.  That sounds great & convenient for anybody driving to the port.  But leaves flyers caught in a limbo with a possibly wasted flight if they fail.  It would be hard to have a plan B if you are denied boarding.

1 minute ago, WackyWayne said:

I suspect that cruise lines will start doing the quickie test as part of the boarding process.  That sounds great & convenient for anybody driving to the port.  But leaves flyers caught in a limbo with a possibly wasted flight if they fail.  It would be hard to have a plan B if you are denied boarding.

It is easy enough to find cheap at home covid tests before you fly, but it does take a slight effort.

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It is easy enough to find cheap at home covid tests before you fly, but it does take a slight effort.

Do they accept any quickie tests?  I was under the impression that you had to have a "real" test which takes 24-48 hours to get results and if they want a test within 2 days of boarding, the logistics get complicated. Especially if you like to fly in the day before your cruise.

Luckily, I drive, so the logistics are easier for me.

1 minute ago, WackyWayne said:

Do they accept any quickie tests?  I was under the impression that you had to have a "real" test which takes 24-48 hours to get results and if they want a test within 2 days of boarding, the logistics get complicated. Especially if you like to fly in the day before your cruise.

Rapid antigen test ARE allowed.  I encourage you to go read the protocols one click away on their web page.

21 minutes ago, WackyWayne said:

You can get a real at home test, too. or on the road.

I kind of believe the cruise lines will eventually get back to doing the testing themselves at boarding. Timing is the main obstacle for most people and this would eliminate that.

I’m supposed to cruise in February and I fully expect to get tested but I would love for it to be available at the ship for a logical price. 

As for when they’ll stop requiring a test at all, my guess is maybe late 2023/early 2024. If the world can get Covid under control that is possible. I’m still hopeful for that. 

I think it’s possible they’ll be able to vaccinate kids before we stop testing. 

I do think we’ll be able to tell when we’re getting there. If things instead get worse we’re going to have a hard time traveling at all.

We enjoyed our Panorama cruise last week for the wife and I. We managed the three day test window at home which insurance covered before flying to LAX. However, we are usually a family of four. I won't risk buying flights for four from Detroit with the risk of an issue at the pier. Then what? Does Carnival tell the whole world someone tested positive leaving you in a bad way with family in tow? Are they going to charge for the pier tests? If they do and it's like $150 bucks a test there is no way I'm paying $600 for this before stepping aboard. Won't take that kind of financial risk going forward. 

Edited by tallnthensome

On 9/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, kdr69 said:

Should be able to since there isnt a 36-72 hour Covid test requirement before boarding.  its a 2 day requirement.😉

It's an at most 2 days before boarding requirement. Not 48 hours.  They look at date not time stamp. so 3 days before your cruise is out.   And as long as you have the results by boarding time, you're fine.  They may have terminal testing down the road, but they are hoping that will be a last resort.  Last thing you want is to be ready to board and get a positive test.  

On 9/4/2021 at 7:15 AM, travelplus said:

My Chrystal ball is in Paris for recalibration so the answer is uncertain😁

wait, you send your crystal ball all the way to paris? there's a palm reader right down the street from me that i drop mine off at. two days later its calibrated. find a shrink or palm reader in your area.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Just make sure they are medically supervised (via your Iphone or Zoom).

If you want Carnival to accept, true. If you just want a sanity check for yourself, you can try an unsupervised one. There is an app that telehealth uses (android or iphone) and I think that and Internet are all you need to support the monitoring.