When will the 48-72 hour testing requirement be gone ?

glrounds

Not cruising on the PANORAMA again until January 29th (final payment Oct 31st). You cruise pros that have John Heald's ear might know the answer. Look into your future ball and tell me if I will "most likely" be able to avoid the 36-72 hour Covid test before boarding? Otherwise going to cancel. Just tired of all the hoops, restrictions and conditions. 34 Carnival cruises, maybe I've had enough.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Not cruising on the PANORAMA again until January 29th (final payment Oct 31st). You cruise pros that have John Heald's ear might know the answer. Look into your future ball and tell me if I will "most likely" be able to avoid the 36-72 hour Covid test before boarding? Otherwise going to cancel. Just tired of all the hoops, restrictions and conditions. 34 Carnival cruises, maybe I've had enough.

Ha Ha Ha - not soon....Duh....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, glrounds said:

John Heald doesnt know, nobody does not even the CDC. Its not a Carnival issue, no matter what cruise line you go on in the foreseeable future youre going to have to get tested. I wouldnt hold this against one particular company

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Covid is not under control in the world.

Cruise lines depend on visiting developing countries that do not have access to vaccines.

Cruiselines depend on staff from developing countries and this is problematic as they may be coming from an area with high covid rates.

The U.S. (where most Carnival ships leave from) have a very high rate of Covid, with Florida being very very high and having a lot of Carnival ships leaving.

So what does that mean? It means that Covid isn't going away for a long while and the cruiselines are going to have to test people to make sure that Covid isn't on the ship (well as much as possible that is).

• Like 4

John Heald has no idea.  It's a CDC requirement.

What's the big deal about the test?  it's the least of my concerns in the new protocols. 

My biggest issue is that my unvaccinated 7 year old boy (and obviously at least one of the two of us, his parents) basically can't leave the ship in any port. That leaves us taking turns debarking with our vaccinated 15 year old daughter. My second biggest is that the kids' club is closed.

Edited by gtalum
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, gtalum said:

What's the big deal about the test?  it's the least of my concerns in the new protocols. 

My biggest issue is that my unvaccinated 7 year old (and so one of the two of us, his parents) basically can't leave the ship in any port.  My second biggest is that the kids' club is closed.

What ports are you guys going to?

• Like 1

I think it will be years from now, 3-5 at min. As long as covid is around and cdc in charge they will continue to require people be tested before setting foot on a ship. Covid could go back to how it was a few months ago and I still think they will require now that it’s in place. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, gtalum said:

My biggest issue is that my unvaccinated 7 year old boy (and obviously at least one of the two of us, his parents) basically can't leave the ship in any port. That leaves us taking turns debarking with our vaccinated 15 year old daughter. My second biggest is that the kids' club is closed.

Neither does the CDC

• Like 3

As long as the number of cases are high, the testing requirements will be in place. Pure speculation based on covid, Delta, and now Mu, we either need a massive breakthrough to combat covid. All we have now is a vaccine that does not prevent it but in almost all cases limits the severity of the symptoms to a flu-like case instead of hospitalization. I honestly do not see this being over in the next 18 months. As we go every 3 months, new variants may pop up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think there’s any chance it will change before January. Delta is out of control snd cases where i live are now higher than in 2020. They will need to get a booster out to enough people that works on delta before another mutation renders that booster ineffective. Also, we are going into cold and flu season soon. Proactive Covid testing will be critical to separate out colds/flus from Covid. My prediction is 3Rd quarter 2022 at the earliest.

• Like 2

Not only is the testing requirement here to stay for the foreseeable future (I like @Coopdog08 estimate of 3-5 years, minimum), we are also at risk of the entire cruise industry shutting down again with the current delta surge, breakthrough cases, and the Mu variant. Testing is another (relatively cheap and simple, in spite of everyone's griping) layer of risk management and it is frankly unthinkable that the cruise lines would stop. There is too much at stake.  And if they don't do it, people will throw an absolute fit that they didn't attempt to keep everyone safe. They have legal due diligence responsibility, and now that this is an established precedent supporting that, it will continue.

Don't even get me started on the potential for Mu to take us all the way back to March 2020 and start over with a brand new fresh Covid pandemic as the current vaccines, prior Covid-19 infection, and monoclonal antibodies may all be ineffective against it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Not only is the testing requirement here to stay for the foreseeable future (I like @Coopdog08 estimate of 3-5 years, minimum), we are also at risk of the entire cruise industry shutting down again with the current delta surge, breakthrough cases, and the Mu variant. Testing is another (relatively cheap and simple, in spite of everyone's griping) layer of risk management and it is frankly unthinkable that the cruise lines would stop. There is too much at stake.  And if they don't do it, people will throw an absolute fit that they didn't attempt to keep everyone safe. They have legal due diligence responsibility, and now that this is an established precedent supporting that, it will continue.

Don't even get me started on the potential for Mu to take us all the way back to March 2020 and start over with a brand new fresh Covid pandemic as the current vaccines, prior Covid-19 infection, and monoclonal antibodies may all be ineffective against it.

Dr. Faucci stated that Mu is not prevalent in the US as the dominant strain. But that could change.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Neither does the CDC

It's not fair to only have one child be allowed off. Me personally I would not be going anywhere until everyone was fully  vaccinated and tested negative  but that's just me..Just the responsible thing to do as a member of society.

Edited by travelplus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

It's not fair to only have one child be allowed off. Me personally I would not be going anywhere until everyone was fully  vaccinated and tested negative  but that's just me..Just the responsible thing to do as a member of society.

Nothing is fair in the COVID world.  All that said, we adapt and do the best we can to enjoy what we can out of life.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, glrounds said:

Look into your future ball and tell me if I will "most likely" be able to avoid the 36-72 hour Covid test before boarding?

Should be able to since there isnt a 36-72 hour Covid test requirement before boarding.  its a 2 day requirement.😉

• Like 2