Cruise Cancellation for non-Americans?

Vict0riann

We just got this "billet doux" from HAL:

Dear Valued Guest,
We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. if you have been in a Schengen Country (including Italy) within fourteen days of your arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.
Our records indicate that either you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that you have not provided us with your residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate you on your 27-Day Mediterranean Romance & Spanish Farewell voyage on Eurodam (booking #XR3V6L) and will cancel your booking as you will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
If you feel you qualify for exemption status under the U.S. travel restriction policy (click here to view the Order), please notify us prior to 15 October 2021 using our online form (which will be available in the next 24 hours) so your reservation is not automatically cancelled. Additionally, please complete Online Check-In to provide your residency, citizenship and other immigration information. It is your responsibility to determine whether you qualify to enter the U.S. You may contact your local U.S. consulate or theU.S. Department of State if you have questions about eligibility to travel to the U.S. Our reservations team does not have additional information regarding administration of government policy. Guests denied boarding at the pier for this reason are subject to cancellation fees.
If you are ineligible to sail, you have the option of moving to a comparable voyage with your cruise fare (or per-day fare if the voyage length is different), promotions and incentives protected. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as Flight Ease® air, shore excursions, dining, gifts and spa will be refunded to the original form of purchase.
If you do not want to sail on a replacement voyage, you have the option of receiving a full refund. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line. Any portion of the fare that was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit will be returned to the guest’s Mariner account.
To advise us of your choice, please complete the Online Preferences Form before 15 October 2021. The form will be available within the next 24 hours and will give you the options to advise us that you are eligible to travel, transfer to a replacement voyage, or request a full refund of all monies paid. Please visit the form to see your replacement voyage options and rate protection offer based on your current voyage. If you do not complete the form, your booking will be automatically cancelled on 15 October 2021 for a full refund.
If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with your travel advisor and those operators regarding their charges.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office:

I really don't understand how Americans and US residents are going to be able to  cruise back, as most of the crew and staff on the Eurodam must be non-American?

OMG, I’m so sorry to read this.  So many disappointed Canadians.   Since we were supposed to be on this 27 day cruise I’m glad we cancelled awhile ago.  There were too many concerns we had but I didn’t expect this.

@Vict0riann I am just so sorry for you.  I know you’ve done a lot of planning and all the bookings you have to cancel now.   Such a mess.    

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Dear Valued Guest,
We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. if you have been in a Schengen Country (including Italy) within fourteen days of your arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.
Our records indicate that either you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that you have not provided us with your residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate you on your 27-Day Mediterranean Romance & Spanish Farewell voyage on Eurodam (booking #XR3V6L) and will cancel your booking as you will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
If you feel you qualify for exemption status under the U.S. travel restriction policy (click here to view the Order), please notify us prior to 15 October 2021 using our online form (which will be available in the next 24 hours) so your reservation is not automatically cancelled. Additionally, please complete Online Check-In to provide your residency, citizenship and other immigration information. It is your responsibility to determine whether you qualify to enter the U.S. You may contact your local U.S. consulate or theU.S. Department of State if you have questions about eligibility to travel to the U.S. Our reservations team does not have additional information regarding administration of government policy. Guests denied boarding at the pier for this reason are subject to cancellation fees.
If you are ineligible to sail, you have the option of moving to a comparable voyage with your cruise fare (or per-day fare if the voyage length is different), promotions and incentives protected. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as Flight Ease® air, shore excursions, dining, gifts and spa will be refunded to the original form of purchase.
If you do not want to sail on a replacement voyage, you have the option of receiving a full refund. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line. Any portion of the fare that was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit will be returned to the guest’s Mariner account.
To advise us of your choice, please complete the Online Preferences Form before 15 October 2021. The form will be available within the next 24 hours and will give you the options to advise us that you are eligible to travel, transfer to a replacement voyage, or request a full refund of all monies paid. Please visit the form to see your replacement voyage options and rate protection offer based on your current voyage. If you do not complete the form, your booking will be automatically cancelled on 15 October 2021 for a full refund.
If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with your travel advisor and those operators regarding their charges.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office:

I really don't understand how Americans and US residents are going to be able to  cruise back, as most of the crew and staff on the Eurodam must be non-American?

They are working crew of a vessel and would qualify for the essential travel exemption. The Carnival cruise director was an example, he could not fly from the UK to the US to join a Carnival ship as a passenger. But he could fly to the US to join a ship he was working on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

They are working crew of a vessel and would qualify for the essential travel exemption. The Carnival cruise director was an example, he could not fly from the UK to the US to join a Carnival ship as a passenger. But he could fly to the US to join a ship he was working on.

Thanks.  Now I understand.  Do you think could hire on for the TA?😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Arrange some kind of business meeting in the US and you probably qualify for an essential travel exemption.

That seems a bit ironic to me.  What’s the difference between a “business” meeting that is not essential and just arriving to fly out of FLL?

I just don’t understand the futility  of the rules.  A business meeting is as non essential as an in transit passage to fly out.  

SMH and just glad I transferred my TA to next year some time ago.

• Like 2

So sorry about this. At this late stage. So many unknowns and unpleasant surprises at the moment. I was so disappointed when we cancelled last month. 

Our trip Tuesday on the Rocky Mountaineer is our consolation prize but with the overloaded hospital in Kamloops and the out of control 4th wave in Alberta, I even have concerns about that.

• Like 6

We still haven’t received anything from HAL informing us of this cancellation and wouldn’t have known about it had I not checked on Cruise Critic today.  This is not the first time we have been left out of the loop by HAL but it will be the last.  Our experience with their customer service has been appalling.  I had enjoyed our cruises on HAL but we will be booking elsewhere from now on.

7 hours ago, kazu said:

That seems a bit ironic to me.  What’s the difference between a “business” meeting that is not essential and just arriving to fly out of FLL?

I just don’t understand the futility  of the rules.  A business meeting is as non essential as an in transit passage to fly out.  

SMH and just glad I transferred my TA to next year some time ago.

This has been one of my arguments from the start.  Early on, within the US, if you were traveling on business there were no quarantine requirements when you returned home...but traveling for pleasure?  Get home and stay there for up to 14 days in self-isolation.

So...by that logic...the guys in my Company who travel up and down the East Coast could freely move about, stay in hotels, meet with strangers...and once home continue to move about without restriction.  If I drove in my car to visit my daughter, staying ONLY at her house and going no place else, I would need to stay inside my home for 14 days after getting home.

No sense at all.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, john2003 said:

So sorry about this. At this late stage. So many unknowns and unpleasant surprises at the moment. I was so disappointed when we cancelled last month. 

Our trip Tuesday on the Rocky Mountaineer is our consolation prize but with the overloaded hospital in Kamloops and the out of control 4th wave in Alberta, I even have concerns about that.

I have friends from here in St Louis taking a tour including the Rocky Mountaineer next week.  They are leaving on September 23, flying to Vancouver, then flying home from Calgary on September 30. Like the cruisers, they have to be vaccinated and have a negative Covid test. I was amazed this tour is actually still on. Your comment about Kamloops is worrying, they will be staying there on the 24th. This is a group of people mostly in their 60s, 70s with a couple in their 80s. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 1

Calgary, and Alberta, currently have one of the worst covid situations in North America.  Alberta is under a Health Emergency as of this evening.   Indoor dining will apparently cease on Oct 20.  Masks mandatory, social distancing, work at home etc, etc.   Public health authorities anticipate that the situation will get worse before it gets better. 

It is our own doing.   Precautions were greatly relaxed in July with dismal results.  Far too many unvaccinated people.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-shandro-hinshaw-update-covid-19-1.6177210

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I have friends from here in St Louis taking a tour including the Rocky Mountaineer next week.  They are leaving on September 23, flying to Vancouver, then flying home from Calgary on September 30. Like the cruisers, they have to be vaccinated and have a negative Covid test. I was amazed this tour is actually still on. Your comment about Kamloops is worrying, they will be staying there on the 24th. This is a group of people mostly in their 60s, 70s with a couple in their 80s. 

St Louis Sal

I am not that familiar with the Kamloops hospital issue but I think there is a capacity issue aggravated by Covid. It is a high growth area and has new facilities due next year. In the meantime it is operating above capacity. I am not sure Covid is especially bad there, although probably not good. The earlier issues were centered in Kelowna.

To follow up on Iancal, I think the changes are Sept 20 not Oct 20. As for dining, I think restaurants can still offer inside dining if they

require vaccinations or negative tests for all customers. In BC, it has to be vaccination proof now. We have QR codes and also need ID.

I feel we can manage the Covid risk by being super cautious and masking. We are 70s/80s.  My personal concern is if we get sick unrelated to Covid or have an accident and the health system can't provide a timely response. As I gather is the case in Idaho, Alaska and probably other places.

I am expecting RM to carry on as they are permitted to do so. Thought in BC we might be requested not to travel to Alberta but it hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Dear Valued Guest,

The crew is no problem they just can't get off.

I am disappointed in our US administration and not understanding their view of "science" that would not allow a non USA VACCINATED, negative Covid tested person in......

Perhaps Holland America Line should dock the ships at the Mexico-Texas border.  It seems that at that border, passports, vaccinations &  Covid tests are not required to enter and non US folks are free to enter with no restrictions.  I think they even provide free ground transportation, food and water from what I've seen on CNN.

Disappointing and not understanding........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I am disappointed in our US administration and not understanding their view of "science" that would not allow a non USA VACCINATED, negative Covid tested person in......

Perhaps Holland America Line should dock the ships at the Mexico-Texas border.  It seems that at that border, passports, vaccinations &  Covid tests are not required to enter and non US folks are free to enter with no restrictions.  I think they even provide free ground transportation, food and water from what I've seen on CNN.

And hotels if you test positive!!

11 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I have friends from here in St Louis taking a tour including the Rocky Mountaineer next week.  They are leaving on September 23, flying to Vancouver, then flying home from Calgary on September 30

Please allow a dumb European to ask the question:  How can they enter Canada from USA and then return to USA, but Canadians cannot transit USA?  I am sure there is a logical explanation. 

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Please allow a dumb European to ask the question:  How can they enter Canada from USA and then return to USA, but Canadians cannot transit USA?  I am sure there is a logical explanation. 

Canada opened it’s border to the fully vaccinated.  The U.S.A did not reciprocate.  Why we opened when they didn’t is beyond me.

There is no logical explanation at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

+1

Because our US administration bases our decisions on "science," the logical reason is that the Covid virus only travels on Canadians crossing the land border but the Covid virus does not attach to USA citizens traveling to Canada.

Does that help?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Canada opened it’s border to the fully vaccinated.  The U.S.A did not reciprocate.  Why we opened when they didn’t is beyond me.

There is no logical explanation at all.

Nope, there is NO logical explanation.🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1