Dining during covid

deec

What is happening in the dining rooms on the ships now?  We are considering the Panama Canal Cruise but we really enjoy dining WHEN we want with whom we want (even if it is 2 top)  and these times can change daily.  I may not want to eat with the same people for 2 weeks and for that matter people may not want to eat with US for 2 weeks!

Also wondering for our already scheduled SA cruise this winter.

I am not sure a phone call to Viking will have first hand experience of what is happening on the ships now.

Are Viking ships now sailing at full capacity?

20 hours ago, deec said:

What is happening in the dining rooms on the ships now?  We are considering the Panama Canal Cruise but we really enjoy dining WHEN we want with whom we want (even if it is 2 top)  and these times can change daily.  I may not want to eat with the same people for 2 weeks and for that matter people may not want to eat with US for 2 weeks!

Also wondering for our already scheduled SA cruise this winter.

I am not sure a phone call to Viking will have first hand experience of what is happening on the ships now.

Are Viking ships now sailing at full capacity?

Maybe I'm missing something but on Viking you may sit where and with whom you want anytime.  Seating is open and although they will seat you in the MDR, Manfredi's, and the Chef,s Table, they will honor any specific requests you might have.  Most of the tables are set up for 2 anyway.  This is the case regardless of whether the ship is at full capacity or not.

Edited by molymoo
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, CCWineLover said:

29 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Maybe I'm missing something but on Viking you may sit where and with whom you want anytime.  Seating is open and although they will seat you in the MDR, Manfredi's, and the Chef,s Table, they will honor any specific requests you might have.  Most of the tables are set up for 2 anyway.  This is the case regardless of whether the ship is at full capacity or not.

Molly,

Yes what you have said has always been our Viking Experience but things can change during  new Covid  protocols.    I called Viking and was told that they are asking passengers to make "reservations" in MDR (always needed them in Manfredi's and Chef's Table).  The very nice agent then told me that I could always go at another time if I wanted to and there were no "assigned" tables.  So I am wondering WHY the need for MDR reservations?  Perhaps it is an attempt to space out diners but that did seem to happen  the OLD way.

Molly, I see that you did go on a recent Bermuda cruise....you did NOT have to make reservations for the MDR?  Just show up give them your cabin number and wait to be seated as usual?

Edited by deec

1 hour ago, deec said:

Molly,

Yes what you have said has always been our Viking Experience but things can change during  new Covid  protocols.    I called Viking and was told that they are asking passengers to make "reservations" in MDR (always needed them in Manfredi's and Chef's Table).  The very nice agent then told me that I could always go at another time if I wanted to and there were no "assigned" tables.  So I am wondering WHY the need for MDR reservations?  Perhaps it is an attempt to space out diners but that did seem to happen  the OLD way.

Molly, I see that you did go on a recent Bermuda cruise....you did NOT have to make reservations for the MDR?  Just show up give them your cabin number and wait to be seated as usual?

Prior to our early Iceland cruise in July, we were told via email and MVJ to make reservations for dining in the Restaurant. We did this. Once aboard the ship these reservations did not appear in our app or on the TV and we were able to dine whenever we wanted just like in the before times. The only difference I noted was that we were never asked if we wanted to share a table. I presume that is a COVID protocol.

Our sailing on July 10 had around 650 passengers.  Later sailings got as high as about 850 I believe. The GM on Sky told me that he didn’t expect to book more than 870 passengers on any sailing for a while. That would allow them to have some staterooms ready should quarantine become necessary. How many will be aboard your particular sailing is hard to know. The later Bermuda cruises hd very low passenger counts-230 on one of them has been reported. Some cruises are “sold out” which previously would have meant 930 aboard but today I don’t think that will be the case…of course until they sail and someone reports back no one will know. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The only difference I noted was that we were never asked if we wanted to share a table. I presume that is a COVID protocol.

Does that mean I have to dine alone?  LOL  Hopefully someone will take pity on a solo.

We’ve done three cruises this year, and on one we were asked if we wanted to join a sharing table, so that still happens, at least sometimes.  We also saw a table of singles joining up for a group dinner, and twice we had a table for four with people we’d met. 

We were encouraged to book all dinners before we were onboard, whether at the Chef’s Table, Manfredi’s or the main dining room.  Only Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table showed up on our diary.  

1 hour ago, esther e said:

Does that mean I have to dine alone?  LOL  Hopefully someone will take pity on a solo.

We were asked at the restaurant reception desk if we wanted to sit with others. You should be fine.
Alternatively, there are tables for 2 near each other where invariable folks start up dinner conversations. You could ask for one of those.

No worries. Viking accommodates their guests.

• Like 1