1st Time at the Steakhouse- questions & suggestions

RNsoon2beNP

Frequent cruiser here- but 1st time at the Steakhouse. Booked a last minute cruise for this week on the Magic. Surprising the hubby with the Steakhouse on the 1st night. 

I know on Carnival .com it says not shorts- but follows the MDR/attire. Is there exceptions for the first day? Wanna dress accordingly, not sure if I should pack a change of clothes on the carry on.

Also suggestions for those who have been more than once--- whats your favs???

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 hour ago, RNsoon2beNP said:

Frequent cruiser here- but 1st time at the Steakhouse. Booked a last minute cruise for this week on the Magic. Surprising the hubby with the Steakhouse on the 1st night. 

I know on Carnival .com it says not shorts- but follows the MDR/attire. Is there exceptions for the first day? Wanna dress accordingly, not sure if I should pack a change of clothes on the carry on.

Thanks in advance 🙂

The first day is the loosest dress code of any simply because some guests do not actually receive their bags in time to dress for dinner.

Lets skip to dessert, the cheesecake is to die for.

Also, free bottle of wine the first night. 50% off bottles on the wine list. You could really surprise him with a bottle of Dom Perignon at half price.

• Like 2

There are only 3 desserts. I tried the chocolate ball and it wasnt very good imo. Loved the huge cheesecake, too much to finish. The 3rd is art where they drip stuff on your table and ice cream. I'm not sure I'd have been keen to eat it. I think they took a page from rcl wonderland and wanted something arty but wierd. 

Look at the menu first, they refused paper menu to us and others. 

20210915_152611565.jpeg

20210915_152647789.jpeg

20210915_152816402.jpeg

• Like 2

I think the presentation of the oysters is really cool, but I didn’t like them, but my friend does. I love oysters pretty much any way you cook them, even raw, but those just didn’t do it for me. I usually get the stuffed mushrooms which is very good.  Any of the steaks are usually huge, way too much for me, so the surf and turf is just right. I’m usually too full for dessert, but the cheesecake is really good, easily split between 2. The chocolate sphere is a nice presentation too. It’s very chocolate for sure. 
Can’t really say about the dress code on first night, but if they go by MDR attire, people usually wear what they traveled in.  A few times in the past, we’ve been notified by Steakhouse it was casual night (not first night) and men could wear dress shorts. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There are only 3 desserts. I tried the chocolate ball and it wasnt very good imo. Loved the huge cheesecake, too much to finish. The 3rd is art where they drip stuff on your table and ice cream. I'm not sure I'd have been keen to eat it. I think they took a page from rcl wonderland and wanted something arty but wierd. 

20210915_152611565.jpeg

20210915_152647789.jpeg

20210915_152816402.jpeg

They gave me paper menus

25 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They gave me paper menus

We asked and so did the older couple at the next table and got a lecture about learning to use the codes. Quite rude. Never did get a menu even after my table mate complained. .. never offered bread. The waiter needs a different job we encountered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

We asked and so did the older couple at the next table and got a lecture about learning to use the codes. Quite rude. Never did get a menu even after my table mate complained. .. never offered bread. The waiter needs a different job we encountered.

We were on the 3rd sailing so they were more prepared.

10 hours ago, RNsoon2beNP said:

Thanks in advance 🙂

The chocolate sphere for dessert... omg so good.  I loved the filet.  BF had the stuffed mushrooms appetizer and he loved those.  

You can order an app, salad, soup, 2 sides, entree and dessert.  If you want a second app instead of soup or salad, you can do that as well.  Since you have a lot of food to eat, including the amuse bouche, I would get the cheesecake wrapped to go and placed in your frig to enjoy later that night or the following day.

11 hours ago, RNsoon2beNP said:

Thanks in advance 🙂

First, the price includes the gratuity. Second. Booking the first evening you will be able to pick white or red bottle of wine for free. Some ships include that on the second night also. The first evening is casual even shorts. The reason. many have not had their luggage delivered by the time you go to eat.

Third. Here is where you can read all about it including many things people ahve not realized what is available at the steak house. We ALWAYS do the Fahrenheit 555 the first night on every Carnival cruise. We go at 5:30 and almost have the place to your self for about an hour. As for what to eat. Everything we ever had was excellent. Just pick what you like. Caution: You need to be empty because you get a lot of delicious food.

I am sure you will be enlightened after reading the following.

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/10-things-need-know-carnivals-steakhouse

• Like 1

The new menu includes the very best steak in the world. Australian Wagyu. Does anyone know if there is an upcharge for this steak. Our local butcher charges $45.00 a pound. The Wagyu not from Australia is $65.00 a pound. Our up and coming cruise I will ahve to try that. Oct 30 on the Mardi Gras

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

The new menu includes the very best steak in the world. Australian Wagyu. Does anyone know if there is an upcharge for this steak. Our local butcher charges $45.00 a pound. The Wagyu not from Australia is $65.00 a pound. Our up and coming cruise I will ahve to try that. Oct 30 on the Mardi Gras

I posted the menu from last week above. No upcharge is listed.

I did surf and turf both times. Good but I love lobster, but I saw the waygu  .. interesting. 

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

No upcharge but it is not always available

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I was going to order it but my waitress advised that this was merely a dressed up flat iron steak.  So I went with the filet mignon instead.

2 minutes ago, south-carolinagirl said:

Can you substitute your salad for another starter?  I would like to get the shrimp cocktail and the French onion soup, can I do that? 

Absolutely! You can have as many appetizers as you want. 

We've done the steakhouse on the first night for the last 6 cruises we've been on.   You get half price bottle or a free wine at the table.   They used to do both.   Not sure if they do now.    Did the Dom Perignon once (bucket list).    The Steaks are GREAT.   The service has been wonderful.   The lobster bisque was great.   I've also done the oysters and that was fun.   The Art at the Table dessert is an adventure and surprisingly filling.   Never seen anything like it and the tastes were really interesting.   We met another couple who have been on dozens of cruises on different lines and they told us the service and the food in the Carnival steakhouses are as good as ANY they ever experienced - even the "luxury" cruise lines.   Enjoy.

2 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

I was going to order it but my waitress advised that this was merely a dressed up flat iron steak.  So I went with the filet mignon instead.

That's just complete crap.  It was one of the best steaks I have ever had.  She straight up told you a story.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, boomhower said:

That's just complete crap.  It was one of the best steaks I have ever had.  She straight up told you a story.

Gonna say.. as  a person who on the norm eats Wagu it is sooo not true. Freaking melt in your mouth awesome. 

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

20210915_152611565.jpeg

20210915_152647789.jpeg

20210915_152816402.jpeg

ok I just tried the Art of dessert last week onboard the Breeze. I was solo, but had couples on both sides of my table who shared in the dinner and fun. I enjoyed this. First they put a chilled cutting board type tray on the table, then decorate it with various sauces, and edibles like Caramel, meringue, cookies, fruit chews, etc. Then the white chocolate raspberry swirl ball in the center is broken to reveal a delicious chocolatey brownie cake thing and they topped with ice cream  vanilla and chocolate. It was fun.