Do they screw things up intentionally?

Oakman58

I would love to know how NCL manages to get things screwed up.  My 7 day cruise is paid in full including the service charge.  Up until today my cruise summary reflected that everything was paid.  Now today it shows I owe $299.25.  For some reason the service charge changed from the $217 I paid to the ridiculous amount of $516.25.  This is obviously a mistake but how does that happen?  Do they have a bunch of monkeys playing with their computer keyboards?

I’ll wait a couple of days to see if the mistake is corrected and if not I guess I’ll call them to get this straightened out.  My favorite thing is to be placed on hold...NOT!

• Like 3

Many many years ago i had a glitch in my booking where the gratuity's for the dining package for guest 2 was not correctly applied correctly. call up your ta or have ncl double check your booking. most likely something got incorrectly moved around

So an industry that has been for the most part "closed" for close to two years, and a company within that industry that is mere months into opening back up, with a known national labor issue is having trouble getting everything back up to speed with new employees, is making mistakes?  Say it aint so.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, VtMac said:

So an industry that has been for the most part "closed" for close to two years, and a company within that industry that is mere months into opening back up, with a known national labor issue is having trouble getting everything back up to speed with new employees, is making mistakes?  Say it aint so.  

Cruise ships weren't cruising but the industry was far from "closed."

A simple billing error which is what has happened to me should have been caught by a computer.

• Like 4

I booked a post cruise excursion, so they were supposed to remove that transfer.  My new invoice had the corrected transfer fee but also added a $1,2000+ "air fee" (which was in addition to the regular air/taxes)

It eventually disappeared...

21 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

A simple billing error which is what has happened to me should have been caught by a computer.

Computers are only as good as the humans who program them or enter data into them.  Computers rarely, if ever, makes errors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Actually the cruise industry shed between 26-30% of it's non ship based workers.  Many of these folks doing the customer service and behind the scenes admin work were the ones furloughed along with sales teams.  Many of those moved on for any number of reasons, not the least of which they needed to get back to work and NCL was arguably the last major line to bring folks back as they were the last to get US sailings going.  Now, there is a labor shortage and when you can hire people, not easy at the moment,  they need to be trained.  It's also a case of the myriad of issues revolving around who is owed what, who believes they are owed more, and every other detail that has changed any number of times with Covid.  Of course, it could also be a missed formula in a database.  BTW, I love the profile pic...that is a someday destination.  When you do sail, enjoy it...I know I have missed it greatly

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I would love to know how NCL manages to get things screwed up.  My 7 day cruise is paid in full including the service charge.  Up until today my cruise summary reflected that everything was paid.  Now today it shows I owe $299.25.  For some reason the service charge changed from the $217 I paid to the ridiculous amount of $516.25.  This is obviously a mistake but how does that happen?  Do they have a bunch of monkeys playing with their computer keyboards?

I’ll wait a couple of days to see if the mistake is corrected and if not I guess I’ll call them to get this straightened out.  My favorite thing is to be placed on hold...NOT!

Yeah I am absolutely 100% sure that it was intentional, hoping you would not notice and they could scam you out of extra money to make up for people who remove the DSC and to pay additional crew members needed to monitor chair hogs.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I’ll wait a couple of days to see if the mistake is corrected and if not I guess I’ll call them to get this straightened out

Is there a reason you don't just call them now and just get it taken care of?

I don't think people working for NCL or most places make mistakes intentionally but they are human and therefor like the rest of us imperfect. I always check and recheck the electronic confirmations but only once has there been a mistake. My CC added the air for me and not my partner. I found the problem immediately and it was fixed then and there.

I am also curious did you happen to bid for an upgrade and if so could the increased fees be due to winning a bid? I have never received an upgrade that way but I imagine the bid amount covers the fare but fees would be extra.

I love being put on hold...NOT!  I called and the problem has been taken care of.  It had something to do with a fee when NCL actually ticketed our flight.  A properly coded computer program should have caught the error, flagged it, and not allowed that charge to go through.

Since I had paperwork that said I was paid in full, I wonder what would have happened if I didn't bother to look at my cruise summary and didn't call.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

Computers are only as good as the humans who program them or enter data into them.  Computers rarely, if ever, makes errors.

Its called PICNIC - problem in chair, not in computer.

Hope it resolves itself soon and you don't have to spend time on hold getting it fixed.

Edited by Firstin87

9 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Is there a reason you don't just call them now and just get it taken care of?

Well of course - that would take some actual effort to get it corrected as opposed to asking a community of cruisers for a solution they cannot provide. 🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Firstin87 said:

Its called PICNIC - problem in chair, not in computer.

Hope it resolves itself soon and you don't have to spend time on hold getting it fixed.

Or EBCAK - Error Between Chair And Keyboard.  However PICNIC and EBCAK errors are typcially thought of as end user errors not programmer errors.

• Like 1

Oakman 58-  completely understand your frustrations!!  Seems like I have to climb a mountain every other week to get something screwed up taken care of.  am retired but feel like I am working to fix error billings, etc.   so glad your mistake resolved!!  

• Like 1