Is there a contingency plan for a hypothetical?

Here in Cincy again today, third time this week a major employer delayed their vaccination mandate .....and per the news its again because the rapid  Covid tests are in “nationally short supply”. 

(Explanation, those who are not vaccinated need to get regular rapid Covid tests, and there aren’t enough tests, so the employer delays the requirements).

SO.".........if in the next couple of months they run out of these darn tests nationally, how will cruisers in Dec, Jan etc be able to find a test to pass?

Again, a hypothetical, but I am a frustrated, anxious worry-wart cruiser who needs a cruise fix.

I dont believe this is a vast CDC conspiracy to halt cruising again

Eddie

Lol about the Valium.  

I’d be reading here often.  Find out when that new batch of tests that don’t expire in December or January are out.  Then order ASAP.

We don’t cruise for a month but I ordered our tests almost a month ago and have them.  We won’t be able to use them for our February cruise but at least this next one is covered.  

I get it, it’s all nerve wracking but will be worth once you’re on board.

• Like 2

DW and I were talking over the weekend, and it’s a true roller coaster.  Generally we get the luggage out about a week in advance and slowly pack.

I told here I don’t want to even get the luggage out until we pass the test, 24 hours before flying out (48 hours before boarding).

All we hear is CVS and Walgreens etc cancel appointments due to lack of supply in Aug and Sept.  The at home tests may expire in Dec.  

So I was just wondering if there is a plan for lack of testing?

Eddie

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Lol about the Valium.  

I’d be reading here often.  Find out when that new batch of tests that don’t expire in December or January are out.  Then order ASAP.

We don’t cruise for a month but I ordered our tests almost a month ago and have them.  We won’t be able to use them for our February cruise but at least this next one is covered.  

I get it, it’s all nerve wracking but will be worth once you’re on board.

Ditto for us.  I have Dec supply ordered, not received.  But next Feb is still a question mark 

I was fine about getting a free test at Walgreens until I started reading about tests being cancelled due to shortage of supplies.  Finally bit the bullet and ordered through Royal.  It's worth the $35 each to stop worrying about it.  Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that we will all test negative.

No test,  no cruise.   We bought a few tests from Royal Caribbean for our cruise last month.  We did not use them, as we used our local CVS. That is OK, the tests were our contingency plan.   Our tests will expire next month, even with the three month extension. It was worth the price of the test for peace of mind in case our pharmacy appointments  got canceled. We have some other cruises coming up and will hopefully do the same routine. 

m

• Like 1

We cruise at the end of next month. We have testing set up and paid for at a local drive through testing facility at our airport. Local pharmacies here in the valley do not offer rapid testing. We have also ordered the kits as a backup. I noticed that Disney is testing at the pier. I wonder why RCI can’t step up and do this? Yes it’s time consuming but we have now spent an extra $320.00 to test two people. 

If there are mass shortages of testing kits and a meaningful number of passengers can’t get tested, I have to believe RCI would implement some sort of dockside testing.

Then again, I believed in the Easter Bunny well past an appropriate age, so don’t take my word for it.  

Edited by zekekelso
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

If there are mass shortages of testing kits and a meaningful number of passengers can’t get tested, I have to believe RCI would implement some sort of dockside testing.

Then again, I believed in the Easter Bunny well past an appropriate age, so don’t take my word for it.  

There is testing at the port available. The links are at the bottom of this FAQ page.  You will pay for the tests and have to schedule in advance.  They want it to be a last resort if you can't schedule something otherwise.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

There is testing at the port available. The links are at the bottom of this FAQ page.  You will pay for the tests and have to schedule in advance.  They want it to be a last resort if you can't schedule something otherwise.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

Note that link say's at port testing is EXTREMLY LIMITED.  Their caps and bold print.

Sailing in DEC. Ordered 6 from eMED for my Freedom Trip 2 weeks ago. Luckily they expire 1 week after we sail In DEC.  

To add to the fray, let's not forget potential for Airlines employee's to strike, or for ATC to strike. 

I have a back up plan for everything that might happen. Only thing I am not able to plan for is mother nature. 

4 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Sailing in DEC. Ordered 6 from eMED for my Freedom Trip 2 weeks ago. Luckily they expire 1 week after we sail In DEC.  

To add to the fray, let's not forget potential for Airlines employee's to strike, or for ATC to strike. 

I have a back up plan for everything that might happen. Only thing I am not able to plan for is mother nature. 

Ordered mine through the Royal web link which says "There is a nationwide short supply of Covid Antigen tests therefore your test kit may expire as soon as December 21, 2021"

I would have been good if the kits actually, with extension expired in 21 Dec as I sail on 23 Dec.

But alas the kits I received expire with extension 2 days sooner on 19 Dec. 

Now what thought I had it covered

I wonder if the tests say they expire one day what does that actually mean.  Do they suddenly go poof; will they not let us contact the Abbott proctors?  Guess we will find out sometime in the future when someone tries to use one that has expired.

13 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

I wonder if the tests say they expire one day what does that actually mean.  Do they suddenly go poof; will they not let us contact the Abbott proctors?  Guess we will find out sometime in the future when someone tries to use one that has expired.

It’s quite simple, once expiration date has been reached, when you log on to test, and the bar code is scanned, they will not proctor your test.