Viking, please help and fix this!

kjbacon

It is with hope that Viking reads these boards that I make this post. The confusion that has been created and continues with the conflicting information on the official sites for pre cruise testing is a real problem. I should not learn the correct information on recreational message boards.

Viking, please update each site you have to report the correct information and remove the incorrect 72 hour directive. Please post this necessary notice on the front page of your website where it belongs! Post the correct information on MVJ. Please realize that most of your passengers do not read these boards and few of your passengers wander around your website into the Resources tab and certainly not more than once.

Viking, can you use your resources to help us? Consider if you will that many of your passengers fly out a day or more before embarkation day and many of us will be traveling over weekends and/or holidays over the next couple months. The 48 hour window is going to be extremely difficult for many of us. You are going to test us on the ship so you have the technology to solve this for your passengers. Could you also test us before boarding?

• Like 9

I agree with what you say and hope that have sent s similar message directly to Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com.

As for why they can't test us before we board, I was thinking about that just the other day -- and what it would entail. Is it really how we want to start our cruise? Is it really how Viking wants us to start our cruise?

The test itself requires us to spit into a tube. I've done it. Ugh! Most people would want to do this in privacy, so a testing area with stalls and screen would have to be set up. It takes a few minutes for each of us to supply a sample. How many stations would have to be set up to prevent a bottle-neck at this point? What about the piers that don't have a shed large enough to accommodate the testing (Reykjavik comes to mind but I am sure there are others)?

Then, we would have to sit around on the dock for a few hours waiting for the tests to be processed -- with nothing to do but sit there. We would also be sitting with people who have just come off airplanes and through at least two airports. There would be tons of complaints from those who are accustomed to Viking's normally very efficient boarding process --and who wants to sit there for a few hours listening to all the grumbling.

• Like 1

I agree with what you said, Peregrina. But on our Iconic W. Med cruise earlier this month our group of 12 from the Umbria pre-cruise extension had the PCR (very intrusive) nasal swab test in the terminal at Civitavecchia, and we waited about 20 minutes before our group was cleared to board. Once on board we had to do the spit test immediately for Viking. It was explained that the PCR test was required by the Italian health authorities at the port, while the spit test was the normal Viking protocol. Two tests in less than an hour was not the way we wanted to start the cruise. We asked whether all the passengers had to have the PCR test prior to embarkation and we were told that they did. Since there were only about 150 on the sailing, it would have been manageable but with a full complement of passengers, it would have been difficult, imo. As for 48 hrs or 72 hrs being the timeline, at least for our most recent cruise, Viking provided more detailed information prior to our departure, focusing on country-specific requirements. In our case we needed to have a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to our arrival in Italy, not prior to our departure from the US. It was a very stressful situation, with the final negative test results coming just 10 hours before we had to leave home for the airport.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

I agree with what you said, Peregrina. But on our Iconic W. Med cruise earlier this month our group of 12 from the Umbria pre-cruise extension had the PCR (very intrusive) nasal swab test in the terminal at Civitavecchia, and we waited about 20 minutes before our group was cleared to board. Once on board we had to do the spit test immediately for Viking. It was explained that the PCR test was required by the Italian health authorities at the port, while the spit test was the normal Viking protocol. Two tests in less than an hour was not the way we wanted to start the cruise. We asked whether all the passengers had to have the PCR test prior to embarkation and we were told that they did. Since there were only about 150 on the sailing, it would have been manageable but with a full complement of passengers, it would have been difficult, imo. As for 48 hrs or 72 hrs being the timeline, at least for our most recent cruise, Viking provided more detailed information prior to our departure, focusing on country-specific requirements. In our case we needed to have a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to our arrival in Italy, not prior to our departure from the US. It was a very stressful situation, with the final negative test results coming just 10 hours before we had to leave home for the airport.

Wow. Two tests in less than an hour is serious overkill. I understand the pre-boarding test after a pre-cruise extension. But surely Viking could use those results rather than require a second test after boarding. That’s just bureaucratic insanity.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

Thank you for your detailed description.

We are on the Iconic Mediterranean leaving Nov 22 from Civitavecchia.  If Italy requires the PCR test at the port before boarding, my question then is, will this qualify for the new Viking requirement of a PCR test before the first Viking activity (like boarding)?   Or will we have to effectively do 3 PCR tests in a short time frame?  (at our home airport, at somewhere in Rome, and at the port before embarkation) ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you for your detailed description.

We are on the Iconic Mediterranean leaving Nov 22 from Civitavecchia.  If Italy requires the PCR test at the port before boarding, my question then is, will this qualify for the new Viking requirement of a PCR test before the first Viking activity (like boarding)?   Or will we have to effectively do 3 PCR tests in a short time frame?  (at our home airport, at somewhere in Rome, and at the port before embarkation) ??

That's a great question. The pre-departure PCR test was for our entry into Italy. It was only examined when we checked in with Lufthansa for our flight in Seattle. It was never checked in Rome. The second PCR test at the terminal in Civitavecchia we at first thought was because our group of 12 had been on a pre-cruise extension in Umbria and we needed to be verified as negative for Covid before we could board the ship. When asked to do the spit test after boarding, we refused at first, telling them we had literally just been tested negative. It didn't make sense to test us again. Our cabin steward said he would call his supervisor so we thought, just do it, don't make problems. I wish I had asked someone who was not on our extension whether in fact they were tested in the cruise terminal before boarding as I really wasn't that confident in the answer when I asked Guest Services. But I think the issue is you are satisfying the requirements of three different entities: Italian Health Ministry for entry into Italy, health authorities at the Port of Civitavecchia, and Viking. That said I would guess you will have to effectively do three tests. It seems cruising requires a suspension of what appears to be common sense, but in the end we all want to travel safely and enjoy the cruise from day one through the last day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

But I think the issue is you are satisfying the requirements of three different entities: Italian Health Ministry for entry into Italy, health authorities at the Port of Civitavecchia, and Viking.

A ton of CYA - no one will get fired for being too cautious.

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

It is with hope that Viking reads these boards that I make this post. The confusion that has been created and continues with the conflicting information on the official sites for pre cruise testing is a real problem. I should not learn the correct information on recreational message boards.

Viking, please update each site you have to report the correct information and remove the incorrect 72 hour directive. Please post this necessary notice on the front page of your website where it belongs! Post the correct information on MVJ. Please realize that most of your passengers do not read these boards and few of your passengers wander around your website into the Resources tab and certainly not more than once.

Viking, can you use your resources to help us? Consider if you will that many of your passengers fly out a day or more before embarkation day and many of us will be traveling over weekends and/or holidays over the next couple months. The 48 hour window is going to be extremely difficult for many of us. You are going to test us on the ship so you have the technology to solve this for your passengers. Could you also test us before boarding?

Thank you, kjbacon, for this note about pre cruise testing to Viking.  Our cruise is a little more than a month away and I have been stressing for weeks.  I think we have determined That there will be a2 day window for tests  and were relieved when learned that antigen tests will also be accepted.  However, after researching local and nearby facilities, have found that antigen tests are not offered in our small community. Hopefully, I can dig a bit deeper and find a location.

I am baffled, why is doing several tests considered a problem? I can understand why lack of clarity about what is required before departure is a problem, but why the complaints about spitting into tubes or swabs of throats or up noses? 

Lots of companies in the UK have been testing staff twice a week, we have been doing rapid antigen self testing (lateral flow) with PCR to confirm positive results, on a regular basis, to the extent that we now do them while chatting at break time. 

Doing this daily on holiday, or a couple of times the same day is a non issue

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KBs mum said:

I am baffled, why is doing several tests considered a problem? I can understand why lack of clarity about what is required before departure is a problem, but why the complaints about spitting into tubes or swabs of throats or up noses? 

Lots of companies in the UK have been testing staff twice a week, we have been doing rapid antigen self testing (lateral flow) with PCR to confirm positive results, on a regular basis, to the extent that we now do them while chatting at break time. 

Doing this daily on holiday, or a couple of times the same day is a non issue

I have no problem with doing the tests whether swabs or spitting.   The concern with the PCR test for us,  which is readily available, is the 2 day window for results.  This occurs over the US Thanksgiving holiday and Iknow some of the labs will be closed.  I just dont think we can expect results back in two days.  And the antigen test, which I cant readily find in our area, I would be glad to use.   If Viking would accept the home monitored antigen test, that would be welcomed.

i wish the US were as advanced with covid testing as the UK.   We just aren’t, but our president has pledged to make it a priority.  Maybe some of the US companies do require weekly testing——being retired we don’t know.

• Like 1

We also have problems getting results of PCR tests quickly, and booking them for when required. 

Domestically the lateral flow tests reporting through an app are the main ones used. 

I did not intend criticism of any countries testing policy, each should do whatever best suits them. I was commenting on the apparent reluctance to physically do the tests, which to those in my workplace is as routine as booking in deliveries, and a lot less hassle! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

We also have problems getting results of PCR tests quickly, and booking them for when required. 

Domestically the lateral flow tests reporting through an app are the main ones used. 

I did not intend criticism of any countries testing policy, each should do whatever best suits them. I was commenting on the apparent reluctance to physically do the tests, which to those in my workplace is as routine as booking in deliveries, and a lot less hassle! 😁

Totally understand! 😊 i dont think Viking is accepting yet accepting the antigen (lateral flow tests?) through an app.  

To me there are two issues: one is clarity. I have no problem doing two tests within a short time span as long as I understand the rationale. And with both the port and Viking dealing with a large group of people it may not have been possible to provide an explanation. This is an evolving situation and what may be the modus operandi today, may not be the same tomorrow. The other issue is the one highlighted by jmfdr, the difficulty of finding and scheduling tests outside of a major city over a weekend or holiday. There's no easy solution to that, unfortunately. But the good news is, once all the tests are done and negative results are in, you're on a Viking ship setting sail for your holiday.

• Like 3

Hard to believe that Viking still has contradictory information posted on their website and MVJ. The version that is the most prominent is the incorrect version and this shocks me.  Can you imagine being denied boarding because you followed their directions?

The Hawaiian Sojourn for December 20 still doesn’t have shore excursions posted or some of the spa treatments available to book in advance. Our itinerary recently changed, losing an entire island, with basically no explanation. 

What a mess.

13 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Hard to believe that Viking still has contradictory information posted on their website and MVJ. The version that is the most prominent is the incorrect version and this shocks me.  Can you imagine being denied boarding because you followed their directions?

The Hawaiian Sojourn for December 20 still doesn’t have shore excursions posted or some of the spa treatments available to book in advance. Our itinerary recently changed, losing an entire island, with basically no explanation. 

What a mess.

Which island did they remove?

Our friends who live in Hawaii (on Kauai) said Maui is especially problematic for tourists right now due to a severe labor shortage and other issues. They said the other islands are in a bit better shape. 

Truly, I can’t imagine what it must be like to work at Viking or anywhere in the cruise and tourist industry right now. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Which island did they remove?

Our friends who live in Hawaii (on Kauai) said Maui is especially problematic for tourists right now due to a severe labor shortage and other issues. They said the other islands are in a bit better shape. 

Truly, I can’t imagine what it must be like to work at Viking or anywhere in the cruise and tourist industry right now. 

Maui (Kahului) was removed from the December 20 Hawaiian Islands Soujourn itinerary. Kona was added instead. We now have two stops on the Big island (Hilo and Kona) plus Kauai (Nawiliwili) and Oahu (Honolulu). Our call at Oahu has been moved from our second day in Hawaii to the fourth day.

I believe the December 4 Hawaiian Islands Sojourn itinerary still has Maui on its itinerary although they have also had some adjustments to the order of the port calls.

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

It is very stressful to be in the travel industry right now. It is my responsibility to make sure things go smoothly on a client’s trip and with the added Covid testing requirements it has added even more weight to that. But it’s OK as that is part of my job ; sort of like making sure everyone has the correct visa or type of visa for their trip, just a more timely and ever changing issue. 😬 

When Viking made it a requirement to have pre cruise testing and stated on MVJ that it should be done within 72 hours of boarding your first flight my first thought was “well that isn’t correct” because I knew what they really wanted was to have guests do the test 72 hours before their cruise or pre cruise trip. They were not taking into account those that travel early or those countries that have a different entry requirement .

They finally added a caveat to the MVJ spot for International travel, now they need to add one for the US embarkation trips.  

They can’t have one blanket sort of requirement on MVJ and then something different on the Itinerary Resources pages for Ft Lauderdale and LA. Departures . “Oh, that way madness lies “ 😉

Hopefully they have listened to their guests ( and TA’s ) who have been asking  them to make the requirements more clear and concise. Maybe they  should be taking a look at the Health Protocol pages of Celebrity or Princess to see how that is done 😉

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vslparis said:

It is very stressful to be in the travel industry right now. It is my responsibility to make sure things go smoothly on a client’s trip and with the added Covid testing requirements it has added even more weight to that. But it’s OK as that is part of my job ; sort of like making sure everyone has the correct visa or type of visa for their trip, just a more timely and ever changing issue. 😬 

When Viking made it a requirement to have pre cruise testing and stated on MVJ that it should be done within 72 hours of boarding your first flight my first thought was “well that isn’t correct” because I knew what they really wanted was to have guests do the test 72 hours before their cruise or pre cruise trip. They were not taking into account those that travel early or those countries that have a different entry requirement .

They finally added a caveat to the MVJ spot for International travel, now they need to add one for the US embarkation trips.  

They can’t have one blanket sort of requirement on MVJ and then something different on the Itinerary Resources pages for Ft Lauderdale and LA. Departures . “Oh, that way madness lies “ 😉

Hopefully they have listened to their guests ( and TA’s ) who have been asking  them to make the requirements more clear and concise. Maybe they  should be taking a look at the Health Protocol pages of Celebrity or Princess to see how that is done 😉

You may already know this -- but Viking has adopted so-called "talking points" with an entirely different requirement. We learned about this when we wrote to tellus on Sunday about PCR testing.

Our situation: We leave Seattle on November 26 and arrive in Barcelona the next day. We stay two nights on our own in Barcelona and then board our transatlantic cruise to San Juan. Because of our limited time in Barcelona, as well as scheduling issues due to Thanksgiving week, we need to know exactly when and where we have to test.

In response to our email, Viking wrote, quote: "If you are traveling independently and outside of your home country for more than 3 days, a PCR test must be taken 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-extension)." That requirement doesn't apply to us, because we arrive just two days before embarkation. We know we have to test within 72 hours prior to boarding our first flight -- but we can schedule that test before we leave with plenty of time to spare, the holiday week notwithstanding.

I spoke to the customer service agent who wrote the response email. She said Viking is now using "talking points" to respond to inquiries like ours. Unfortunately, the company's script doesn't match the My Viking Journey text and the Resources page for our cruise. MVJ mentions independent travel but doesn't say anything about being away for more than three days -- and Resources doesn't mention independent travel at all.

I bring this up not to complain, but to underscore how Viking's testing requirements are still all over the map. That's why I'm going to save Viking's email just in case we need to show it before we embark. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

You may already know this -- but Viking has adopted so-called "talking points" with an entirely different requirement. We learned about this when we wrote to tellus on Sunday about PCR testing.

Our situation: We leave Seattle on November 26 and arrive in Barcelona the next day. We stay two nights on our own in Barcelona and then board our transatlantic cruise to San Juan. Because of our limited time in Barcelona, as well as scheduling issues due to Thanksgiving week, we need to know exactly when and where we have to test.

In response to our email, Viking wrote, quote: "If you are traveling independently and outside of your home country for more than 3 days, a PCR test must be taken 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-extension)." That requirement doesn't apply to us, because we arrive just two days before embarkation. We know we have to test within 72 hours prior to boarding our first flight -- but we can schedule that test before we leave with plenty of time to spare, the holiday week notwithstanding.

I spoke to the customer service agent who wrote the response email. She said Viking is now using "talking points" to respond to inquiries like ours. Unfortunately, the company's script doesn't match the My Viking Journey text and the Resources page for our cruise. MVJ mentions independent travel but doesn't say anything about being away for more than three days -- and Resources doesn't mention independent travel at all.

I bring this up not to complain, but to underscore how Viking's testing requirements are still all over the map. That's why I'm going to save Viking's email just in case we need to show it before we embark. 

And the Viking rep in Guest Services told me today that we had to have a COVID PCR test 72 hours ahead of embarking, no matter what - because if we even if we had a PCR test done before the outbound flight, then if more than 72 hours passes from that test before boarding the ship, then we need the 2nd test.  Go figure!

Does anyone know why Viking will not allow the Abbott BinaxNow proctored test that other cruise lines are allowing?  These seem to be ones you could take with you if going International to have the test results timely.  I agree with the prior poster:  Viking and all these posts about what is right vs not today vs tomorrow which port etc.  is giving me a headache!  As a first timer on Viking ( but seasoned cruiser), I am not overly impressed with Viking’s  lack of communications but am hoping to be—maybe.  

12 hours ago, vslparis said:

You have described it better than I have. And even you, as a professional, don’t even reference the actual policy that applies to Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale departures … it’s thats darn confusing and obscure. Evidently, for those departures, the requirement is actually 48 hours prior to boarding the ship. My girlfriend, a frequent Viking cruiser,  is convinced that is not correct because MVJ for our LA RT cruise clearly states the 72 hour policy. 

It is important to note that it does not matter at all if a Viking rep gives you the wrong information. If the policy is 48 hours but a rep told you 72 hours, know that it is still 48 hours and if you aren’t in compliance, you aren’t in compliance no matter who said what to who.

Something has to give. Viking needs to get their act together real darn quick and immerse us in consistent understandable correct information or they best be prepared to test on site because most passengers will be in the 72 hour window and not the 48 hour window.

PS: shore excursions would be nice.

*This is the current message on MVJ for my LA to Hawaii cruise:

COVID-19 Testing

Viking requires all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure

For departures through December 31, 2021, Viking requires that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

*This is the current message within a sub topic under the Resources tab on the Viking ocean website:

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IN THE US (CDC REQUIREMENT):
4. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

Have I said it yet today … what a mess.

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

. My girlfriend, a frequent Viking cruiser,  is convinced that is not correct because MVJ for our LA RT cruise clearly states the 72 hour policy. 

I have now done two Weclome back cruises: one in July to Bermuda, and Oct12-18 Malta to Barcelona.

In both cases, I  relied on information found in  MVJ and the updates and final timeline that will appear under  Before You go and various tabs in MVJ.Viking also sent emails reminders as we were within 14 days of sailing.

Both Bermuda and Malta/ Italy changed their covid requirements from the time I booked to time I sailed, three months before actual sailing to the 7days before I sailed. In one case  things became tighter and in the case covid rules relaxed. 

Bermuda: PCR test three days before arrival, testing then by Bermuda at airport, on ship till results provided. Saliva test first thing on board, and each day following.

Malta to Barcelona: PCR covid test 72 hrs before first flight .. Saliva test once on board Viking Venus and each day of cruise.

Proof of vaccination and paper copy of  negative  PCR test  was looked at by United , Lufthansa, Delta for both of my trips. 

My suggestion for all those sailing out of US , and the other sailings departing from Europe  is to relax , find a place to get your PRC test before you fly or get on board  within the proper timeframe . Again  watch your MVJ  IN THE FINAL 14 DAYS BEFORE YOU  LEAVE. I DID NOT CALL VIKNG REP OR TA. The information will be there .

The resource page on Web site is not the final arbiter, but your MVJ.

Once on board have a wonderful cruise.

Traveling in the time of COVID is not for the faint of heart. 

Patti 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2