Carnival sold me Bermuda but is giving me Freeport

Ilovesailaway

We are 24 days out from an awesome cruise to Bermuda. I just got a text from another person on this cruise that our itinerary was just switched to Bahamas. I went on carnivals web site and sure enough its changed. They just did it... I checked earlier and we were still Bermuda.

This will piss off a lot of people. The Bermuda cruise costs twice as much.

I wonder when and if carnival will notify me? They didn't bother to let me know about my last cancelled cruise.

Other than both starting with a "B" there's no comparison between Bermuda and Bahamas. Carnival is going to have to come up with some pretty amazing compensation to you for this! Reimburse you for the cost of the cruise, flights to port, new clothes you bought for cruise, etc. plus emotional stress caused by this! Just wow. Hope you find out this is not so! I'd be interested to find out the reason for this change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What we paid for our cruise is about the same as the folks are paying for the week after us, so while some people might be paying more for Bermuda it's not across the board. I would hope that as a minimum that they will offer people the opportunity to cancel without penalty. I received the official notification in my email this morning.

• Like 3

Just now, BoozinCroozin said:

I would cancel and demand without penalty. I can understand minor changes, but this was great but now garbage. The problem is the contact says pretty changes can happen and they don't have to provide a change to the refund policy.

While they have the right under the contract to do this that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do from a customer care perspective. 

• Like 1

Hi

The bottom line is that Bermuda is only allowing cruises that are fully vaccinated. That is not something new. 

I agree that you should be able to cancel without penalty or transfer to a future cruise with OBC, but beyond that, not likely.  There are still many changing restrictions world wide. People must be aware by now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

The bottom line is that Bermuda is only allowing cruises that are fully vaccinated. That is not something new. 

I agree that you should be able to cancel without penalty or transfer to a future cruise with OBC, but beyond that, not likely.  There are still many changing restrictions world wide. People must be aware by now.

I don't think that's it because Carnival is only doing fully vaccinated cruises (at least I think they are), the issue is Bermuda requires a test 4 days prior to embarkation and the submission of an application with $75 to obtain a travel authorization. It's not a big deal for us but many travelers are having trouble meeting the requirement. (And Royal Caribbean has also cancelled their Bermuda cruises for the same reason.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

While they have the right under the contract to do this that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do from a customer care perspective. 

I 100% agree. But it is Carnival's policy to allow unvaxxed to cruise. Knowing that, this was always going to be a high probability.

13 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

We are 24 days out from an awesome cruise to Bermuda. I just got a text from another person on this cruise that our itinerary was just switched to Bahamas. I went on carnivals web site and sure enough its changed. They just did it... I checked earlier and we were still Bermuda.

This will piss off a lot of people. The Bermuda cruise costs twice as much.

I wonder when and if carnival will notify me? They didn't bother to let me know about my last cancelled cruise.

I would like to see what the results are for you as far as how Carnival handles it.  

So, while I will agree Bermuda cruises are usually at a higher premium, things do happen.  We had a Bermuda cruise get re-routed to the Caribbean due to a hurricane one year, and we didn't really receive any compensation for that particular situation.  It is disappointing to have a change like that, however at least you have some prior notice to the actual cruise to make some changes.  In our situation we didn't find out until we arrived at the port and was onboard the ship. 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

Other than both starting with a "B" there's no comparison between Bermuda and Bahamas. Carnival is going to have to come up with some pretty amazing compensation to you for this! Reimburse you for the cost of the cruise, flights to port, new clothes you bought for cruise, etc. plus emotional stress caused by this! Just wow. Hope you find out this is not so! I'd be interested to find out the reason for this change.

As per the contract, Carnival doesn't have to reimburse anything for a port change.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't think that's it because Carnival is only doing fully vaccinated cruises (at least I think they are), the issue is Bermuda requires a test 4 days prior to embarkation and the submission of an application with $75 to obtain a travel authorization. It's not a big deal for us but many travelers are having trouble meeting the requirement. (And Royal Caribbean has also cancelled their Bermuda cruises for the same reason.)

Carnival is not doing fully vaccinated cruises. On my Freedom cruise there were around 5 or so kids under the age of 12 so they were not vaccinated.

59 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

As per the contract, Carnival doesn't have to reimburse anything for a port change.

Partly true. If the new port charges are less, once onboard you will get the difference as obc posted to your acct. .. not much I agree. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

What have you been smoking? I do agree some sort of adjustment to fare for OBC could be made but ports are not guaranteed and can be changed by the cruise contract signed.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, canes20 said:

What have you been smoking? I do agree some sort of adjustment to fare for OBC could be made but ports are not guaranteed and can be changed by the cruise contract signed.

My comments were sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek. After 20 cruises I'm well aware of the cruise contract, but subbing Bahamas for Bermuda is horrific!  Hope the OP gets a happy ending. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

My comments were sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek. After 20 cruises I'm well aware of the cruise contract, but subbing Bahamas for Bermuda is horrific!  Hope the OP gets a happy ending. 

Going back and rereading your post is pretty funny, should have realized it was sarcasm. Agree on the opinion on the sub, probably can only hope for any difference in port fees as OBC.

I have emailed my PVP to let him know how disappointed I am and inquire about my options. Its frustrating because I have inquired a couple times about Carnival's plan to advise and assist it passengers to meet the Bermuda requirements. All along They simply said no update yet then they completely switch us to perhaps their least desirable itinerary.

Very frustrating.

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Carnival is not doing fully vaccinated cruises. On my Freedom cruise there were around 5 or so kids under the age of 12 so they were not vaccinated.

Thats it? Maybe its because we traveled with a kid so we noticed it more but id say there was at least several dozen young kids on our Magic cruise afew weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I have emailed my PVP to let him know how disappointed I am and inquire about my options. Its frustrating because I have inquired a couple times about Carnival's plan to advise and assist it passengers to meet the Bermuda requirements. All along They simply said no update yet then they completely switch us to perhaps their least desirable itinerary.

Very frustrating.

Good luck with that. Once carnival moved me to what I considered a less desirable cabin than I booked without telling me. Pvp took carnivals side, and had no sympathy. Said the contract gives carnival the right to move my selected cabin in the contact. .. after that I quit using her or liking her as much. Before that I liked there. No sympathy.