Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

8 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Currently onboard Onward. Very mixed feelings so far. Travel arrangements by Azamara were awful and highly stressful so we arrived in a poor state. 

I can't say I'd call this a luxury cruise and could hear others complaining loudly about arrivals procedures. The cabin is nice but we had to remind staff about what was supposed to be provided. 

Dinner last night was nice. Aqualina breakfast service was frankly poor and the menu much reduced compared to other breakfast venues on the ship. It feels like they don't want to provide it.

So far I'm glad we're back to Viking for our next cruise. 

I'm sure I might change my mind over the next 10 days. Will update.

I'd like to learn from your experience.  Could you tell me what was awful about the travel arrangements by Azamara? What was wrong with the arrivals procedure?

What was "frankly poor" about the Aqualina breakfast? Was there no coffee, or was service slow?

It would help me understand if you could give me more details. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tgg said:

I'd like to learn from your experience.  Could you tell me what was awful about the travel arrangements by Azamara? What was wrong with the arrivals procedure?

What was "frankly poor" about the Aqualina breakfast? Was there no coffee, or was service slow?

It would help me understand if you could give me more details. Thanks.

We’ve experienced the Aqualina breakfast onboard Onward and Quest, it’s supposed to be relaxed with everything cooked to order so is slower than other breakfast venues. The menu does look to be limited but we found they could cater for any requests.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I have already highlighted positives. I'm quite entitled to note negatives. I'm not going to pretend that everything is wonderful. 

Hi, I remember you well from the Viking board.  I believe you have had some issues with Viking as well and  are a robust critic if things go wrong.

In 2022 I  have been on an Azamara B2B which was very good, a French River Cruise on Scenic (splendid, unlike I think your Viking one) and just returned from Viking Sky, which was OK but not as good as on our previous Viking cruises.  Our first meal in The Restaurant was awful.  Our Azamara cruise in terms of food, crew, itinerary and  entertainment (I know you do not attend entertainment venues) was better than our Viking one.  We were also upgraded to a CC suite on Azamara and I enjoyed the experience so much we booked a really good 14 day itinerary next June in the same suite.

Unusually I did not book another Viking cruise onboard.  One of their main problems are the recurring itineraries with no new destinations in the Med.  Beautiful ships though.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

And what about the high level suite only unlimited access to the outdoor spa deck?

For me on these two cruises this has been a huge blessing. I've paid $99 each cruise for a pass. Best ever $99 spent. It's so peaceful out there. Previously on occasions it has been a zoo . This is a really positive change in my view. The thelassotherapy pool should be a relaxing experience.

Phil 

• Like 2

@tgg: re travel problems we were booked to fly from Edinburgh to Venice via Charles de Gaulle with only one hour to make the connection. Despite being told we didn't have to go through security or passport checks it turned out that this was compulsory. My OH was desperate and shamelessly pushed in to the tops of the queues begging to be let in. We got through just as boarding was closing for the Venice flight. We were very lucky indeed. Others were in tears. We had had to run for what felt like miles. 

On arrival at Venice we couldn't locate the Azamara people. Eventually staff from Silversea told us where they usually were. It was a crowd round some harassed ladies. No signage. After a wait we were sent to join a queue. Finally the queue set off and we walked for what felt like miles dragging our cases. They we put in a bus hold and we set off at snails pace for the ship. Told there would be a comfort stop on the two and a half-hour trip. There wasn't. On arrival at the dock we had to take our cases and queue up again to hand them over. The another queue for security then another queue for check in. Finally on board but taken straight to the safety briefing. Eventually we got to our cabin. We'd been travelling since 3am.

Re Aqualina: after a day on board it was very noticeable how poor one member of staff there is compared to the others. This was the person I was dissatisfied with yesterday. She was poor again today. It's hard to understand why she's in customer facing role.

Re Viking: I posted a lot during our enforced quarantine while on our French river cruise. You may have noticed that I stopped. This was because Viking offered us very good compensation and I felt that their shore side management were trying very hard. 

5 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

@tgg: re travel problems we were booked to fly from Edinburgh to Venice via Charles de Gaulle with only one hour to make the connection. Despite being told we didn't have to go through security or passport checks it turned out that this was compulsory. My OH was desperate and shamelessly pushed in to the tops of the queues begging to be let in. We got through just as boarding was closing for the Venice flight. We were very lucky indeed. Others were in tears. We had had to run for what felt like miles. 

On arrival at Venice we couldn't locate the Azamara people. Eventually staff from Silversea told us where they usually were. It was a crowd round some harassed ladies. No signage. After a wait we were sent to join a queue. Finally the queue set off and we walked for what felt like miles dragging our cases. They we put in a bus hold and we set off at snails pace for the ship. Told there would be a comfort stop on the two and a half-hour trip. There wasn't. On arrival at the dock we had to take our cases and queue up again to hand them over. The another queue for security then another queue for check in. Finally on board but taken straight to the safety briefing. Eventually we got to our cabin. We'd been travelling since 3am.

Re Aqualina: after a day on board it was very noticeable how poor one member of staff there is compared to the others. This was the person I was dissatisfied with yesterday. She was poor again today. It's hard to understand why she's in customer facing role.

Re Viking: I posted a lot during our enforced quarantine while on our French river cruise. You may have noticed that I stopped. This was because Viking offered us very good compensation and I felt that their shore side management were trying very hard. 

Sorry for your travel experience. We never travel the same day as embarkation, but that is of course up to yourself. One hour transfer in Paris is usually impossible if you are going thru passport checks. It might be done without, but I would calculate at least 2 hrs for a CDG transfer. The fact that you managed to do it is a miracle.

Every hospitality venue, being it restaurats, hotels, cruiseships or whatever is recruiting fresh staff these days. Some of the problems out of this willbe inexperienced staff and poor service. You get it everywhere. It shouln't be like that, but it will happen. Sorry for your bad experience in Aqualina. Hope it doesn't affect the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Did you book direct with Az and let them arrange your flights or did a TA book flights for you? It’s defiantly worth clarifying. 

I have had poor experiences when using both and now book my own flights.

I agree with you re the bus journey to Ravenna, no comfort break as advised, (thankfully not required).

Check in for a Suite was straightforward and we were onboard with in fifteen minutes from arrival at Ravenna.

9 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

• Like 1

Unfortunately since Brexit you have to go through checks at any European arrival ex Edinburgh even in transit. Whoever ticketed that connection had it plain wrong and you should indeed be raising issues about it. 
On board there are sometimes some staff that just don’t get it right for you. Speak to the hotel director if you have issues- not sure from your posts what they are doing “wrong” but the managers will want to know. 
You should get an interim feedback form very soon which you can fill in by QR code or old fashioned pen and ink. Do so. They do listen and react. 
Hope your cruise experience improves

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Whoever booked you on a 1 hour connection is unprofessional, especially given the time sensitivity involved here. 60 mins is the absolute minimum connection time at CDG which means you are guaranteed a stressful time. And even that assumes it is a through ticket and the flights arrive and leave from the same terminal. If either or both do not apply, you really need to be looking at a couple of hours.

As per the above post, if you fly from non EU to an EU destination, you do need to go through passport control at the connecting airport. That makes the 60 mins minimum likely unachievable. If Azamara recommended this and booked your flights, then I agree their travel advisors are inadequate.

Edited by federalexpress
  • Like 3

Azamara booked our flights. I asked about security and passports but they assured me it would be fine!!

The Aqualina lady ignores you and you have to specially call her over to take food order or clear plates etc. It's not just us though. She's an equal opportunities ignorer! The other waiter is lovely but is often out of the room probably collecting food.

Speak with the F&B manager. Don’t sit there feeling irritated, deal with the problem and don’t feel remorse for doing so. 

Bad attitude can ruin any experience and as a customer you should not accept this. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Azamara booked our flights. I asked about security and passports but they assured me it would be fine!!

The Aqualina lady ignores you and you have to specially call her over to take food order or clear plates etc. It's not just us though. She's an equal opportunities ignorer! The other waiter is lovely but is often out of the room probably collecting food.

When you spoke to the ship's restaurant manager or hotel director about this person's poor service, how was it handled?

12 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

No idea who the restaurant manager is! Certainly not very visible. 

Just tried to book for Prime C but only two sittings. One too early and one too late for us. Other restaurants seem to somehow manage reservations at a wider range of times.

Did you ask for the time that you wanted?  Unless you are a group, you can usually get your preferred time.  Also, sitting at the bar in Prime C is an option and can be quite enjoyable.

34 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

So you complain here to us, who can do nothing to correct your issues, but not to the officers onboard who can.  I've got the picture now.  Tuning you out.

• Like 1

Well I'll chime in about the seating times in the specialty restaurants - too restrictive - yes, too early 6:30 or too late 8:30. Every day they have staff at the buffet "wanting" to book you but those times are too limited and the nights we went the restaurants were not full - could not understand why they could not offer some 7 or 7:30 slots. Maybe if you are a suite goes, more times are offered? but I found it frustrating.

39 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Just tried to book for Prime C but only two sittings. One too early and one too late for us. Other restaurants seem to somehow manage reservations at a wider range of times.

Have you tried letting the host or hostess know you would like to speak to the manager?  Prime C has 2 sittings - 6:00-6:30 p.m. and 8:00 to 8:30 p.m.  If you book the early sitting, show up at 6:30 and order at 7:00.  I really don’t understand how one of these sittings can be too early and the other can be too late.  How many dinner sittings do you feel a small specialty restaurant on a small ship should have?  Prime C and Aqualina are the only restaurants on Azamara that take reservations.  I hope you’re able to find something that pleases you on the cruise.   Regards, Paul

5 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

There are things that please me on this cruise. 

We did ask for times to suit but with no luck.

Please go ahead and tune me out @marinaro44.

I am definitely not an Azamara ''cheerleader'' having only been on one B to B with them. I certainly think that all of your criticisms are fair and well-founded. However, I would urge you to go to the guest services desk and ask to speak to the Hotel Director or their deputy, titled by Azamara as the Food and Beverage Manager. On our cruise we had a problem which was dealt with very poorly. We then had a meeting with the excellent F and B Manager who was brilliant, listening to our issues and promptly resolving. Don't let things fester and negatively affect your cruise, the top brass onboard are really good.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

@kool kruiserthanks. Maybe there'll be a photo of the F&B manager in our room. Will persevere.

No need for a photo go to guest relations and leave a message that you want to meet with them. They will meet you, never known them not respond to a request to speak with them. 
The officers are at pains to state they are not mind readers and they do not see everything so if something is not right tell them 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

@kool kruiserthanks. Maybe there'll be a photo of the F&B manager in our room. Will persevere.

Ok, I have to speak now.  I have been on Viking in April..  It was not a good experience.  Azamara is not Viking!  Thankfully!  The officers are readily available to speak with you.  All you have to do is go to Guest Relations and ask to speak to F&B Manager or HD and they will bend over backwards to make things right.  
IN Aqualina, just ask the Hostess at breakfast to have the Manager there speak with you.  They will make things better.  They do not ignore you as on Viking.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Take a walk down to deck 4 and tell whomever is on the desk that you would like to speak with the F&B manager.  

I don’t want to sound cruel, however, you are making this situation much worse than it actually is by not doing so.  

I say this from a professional prospective as hospitality and bending customers to my will has been my lifelong profession. 

Please be a little assertive. If you are being faced with unsuitable dining times, be logical and make it work.  Take 6.30, have a drink at the bar. If there’s an attempt to move you along or not have you sat at the bar simply decline politely. If you order at 7, you’re not having anything on your table for another fifteen minutes. Ask for a break between courses, order course by course.  

Do not be scared to speak to the F&B manager.  You will find a ten minute chat with coffee will make you feel better, probably offer a little insight into something you hadn’t even considered and importantly your problems will no longer be problems. 

• Like 8