Bringing Wine on Board

donaldsc

I know that you can bring wine on board w/o paying a bottle charge.  Several questions -

1) Within reason, is there a limit of how much you can bring

2) Can you buy wine at a port stop and then bring it on board

3) On other lines you have to drink it in your cabin if you have not paid the bottle charge.  Is it the same on Viking or can you bring the bottle to the dining room and have them pour it for you and then have them keep it in the dining room for future drinking.

4) How bad is the bottle markup on Viking

5) Does anyone have any idea of a place where we can buy wine pre-cruise in San Juan Puerto Rico.

I did a Google search and could not find this information.  Many thanks.

DON

9 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I know that you can bring wine on board w/o paying a bottle charge.  Several questions -

3) On other lines you have to drink it in your cabin if you have not paid the bottle charge.  Is it the same on Viking or can you bring the bottle to the dining room and have them pour it for you and then have them keep it in the dining room for future drinking.

5) Does anyone have any idea of a place where we can buy wine pre-cruise in San Juan Puerto Rico.

DON

Although I've never cruised Viking, I know that you can buy wine in ports and bring it onboard.  Plus, I know you can bring the bottle to the dining room and they will happily uncork it and serve it with no charge.  I don't know if they will keep the bottle in the dining room though.

Viking provides free beer and wine for lunch and dinner. It’s usually decent, but not top shelf.  You can upgrade to higher quality wines and free mixed drinks with the Silver Spirits package.  Unless you want your specific varietal/vintage, why bring your own wine? 

47 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

1. Limited by how much you can carry.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Probably less than your favorite restaurant.

5. Thousands of people I suspect.

At our first Spanish port of call on my Viking TA, I bought a couple of bottles of Cava . Brought bottle to MDR and they chilled it and poured it for  our dinner on a couple of occasions . Viking does not have Cava on board . 

6 minutes ago, Azulann said:

At our first Spanish port of call on my Viking TA, I bought a couple of bottles of Cava . Brought bottle to MDR and they chilled it and poured it for  our dinner on a couple of occasions . Viking does not have Cava on board . 

Azulann - we found some excellent Cava in Barcelona (and also Malaga) and brought it onboard.  Plus some amazing Spanish red wines as well in both ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

1). Viking treat pax like responsible adults and have no limits on alcoholic and/or non-alcoholic beverages you bring aboard at any port. If you can carry it aboard without breaking, you are good to go.

2). Yes, Viking have no restrictions at embarkation or ports enroute.

3). You can bring your own wine/beer into the dining venues and the crew will open them and serve to you. Also at the bars, they will provide glasses and mix.

4). We found the prices about the same as your average restaurant ashore, but less than fine dining restaurants.

5). Sorry, haven't been in San Juan since 1980, so it has probably changed 🙂

Key things to remember, even without the SSBP, Viking provide unlimited wine/beer during lunch & dinner hours. You can order a refill just as you leave. Don't even have to eat. When going ashore they also provide free bottles of water.

The prices on board with or without the drinks package, bearing in mind the included stuff, are reasonable enough (about the same as US and UK bars/pubs) that we don't think it worth the hassle of lugging bottles about or wasting time shopping. 

The only bottle we carry is the viking 'champagne' home from the room fridge, which my mother likes, as part of a thank you for looking after our dog while we're away. 

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

1) as much as you want

2) yes

3) yes but i don't think they will hold it for you. anyways you have a fridge in your room to put it

4) the $6 per glass wines can also be purchased by the bottle for $25 - there are 14 whites and 16 reds offered this way - there are more wines by the bottle only and they start at $35.

5)  wine in PR costs a whole lot more then in the states.  I go ga-ga when i go to a stateside liquor store and see how cheap it is for the same bottles - that said, i live in PR and wine in San Juan costs a lot more there then the outlying towns - in the Pueblo grocery store it is $2-3 more per bottle then where i live - i recall some nice wine stores around, one in particular in Hato Rey near the Fine Arts movie theatre.  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

1) as much as you want

2) yes

3) yes but i don't think they will hold it for you. anyways you have a fridge in your room to put it

4) the $6 per glass wines can also be purchased by the bottle for $25 - there are 14 whites and 16 reds offered this way - there are more wines by the bottle only and they start at $35.

5)  wine in PR costs a whole lot more then in the states.  I go ga-ga when i go to a stateside liquor store and see how cheap it is for the same bottles - that said, i live in PR and wine in San Juan costs a lot more there then the outlying towns - in the Pueblo grocery store it is $2-3 more per bottle then where i live - i recall some nice wine stores around, one in particular in Hato Rey near the Fine Arts movie theatre.  Good luck.

Lorna -

I seem to remember there was a drugstore (CVS?) or some store not far from the cruise port across the street on the main drag, when we were on the Viking Sea in 2019 in and out of San Juan.  We stopped in there and found some decent red wines for OK prices (maybe $5 more than usual), but the convenience was great!  Will probably try that place again on Dec 13th 🙂

11 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

The prices on board with or without the drinks package, bearing in mind the included stuff, are reasonable enough (about the same as US and UK bars/pubs) that we don't think it worth the hassle of lugging bottles about or wasting time shopping. 

Viking encourages guests to sample the locally produced beers, wines and spirits by making it easy for them to be carried and consumed on board. Viking can't stock all the local choices, so they let us buy what we want and bring it on board.

• Viking does not charge a corkage fee. Just bring your bottle with your to the dining room.
  • You can drink your BYO in any of the public spaces on the ship -- without having to hide it in a sippy cup or a brown paper bag.
  • Viking bars will supply you with the necessary glasses. Just ask.
  • Your steward will keep your cabin stocked with wine glasses and/or deliver ice to your cabin at a regular time each day. Just ask.
  • Viking bartenders can use your bottle to mix a drink, charging only for the mixers. They will even store the bottle for you should you so desire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking encourages guests to sample the locally produced beers, wines and spirits by making it easy for them to be carried and consumed on board. Viking can't stock all the local choices, so t

@KBs mum,  hmmmmm. Try again. Maybe it was a timing thing. Can you quote anyone else?

When we did the Santiago to BA cruise in 2019, we had a tour guide and did a wine tour from Santiago to Valparasio.  As a result, we lugged on nearly a case of wine!  3 bottles came home with us, but we drank the rest on board.  

I remember putting a bottle of white in the fridge to chill and our room steward left a wine set up (glasses, tray wine bucket with ice) for us.  They make it very easy to do your own thing.

• Like 1

‘The only bottle we carry is the viking 'champagne' home from the room fridge, which my mother likes, as part of a thank you for looking after our dog while we're away.’

A little off topic, but what exactly is the Viking sparkling? French?

BTW, our first cruise with Viking is in March, and this easy-going attitude to wine seems a very attractive aspect of their service.

1 hour ago, claranda said:

BTW, our first cruise with Viking is in March, and this easy-going attitude to wine seems a very attractive aspect of their service.

Some sort of chardonnay blend I think. Its gluggable but nothing special. My mother is not picky when it comes to wine😊

4 hours ago, claranda said:

‘The only bottle we carry is the viking 'champagne' home from the room fridge, which my mother likes, as part of a thank you for looking after our dog while we're away.’

The bottles we have received included in the PV are French champagne. Sept 2019–North Atlantic/Nov 2019–SE Asia/Mar 2020–Valpo to BA.

All champagne is French but not all French fizz is champagne. 

The non champagne ones are often better for the price paid, but don't have the 'snob' factor.  There are also some good new world and Chilean champagne style wines now that are worth a look at. 

22 hours ago, claranda said:

but what exactly is the Viking sparkling?

In our experience the Viking sparkling has been a German "Sekt" It is a type not widely known overseas as most of it is produced for domestic consumption.

Another little known fact is that this "Viking" sparkling wine is available on the ships free of charge to all guests at meal times in addition to the red and white wines. 🍾🥂

Edited by photopro2
added missed word
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 11:37 AM, claranda said:

Here is the bottle we have in our fridge right now.  

EAEDDB01-FC2B-4425-92C0-9E2639271456.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your useful replies! I’m aware of the Drappier champagne in the cabin, but it was the ‘Viking sparkling’ served at mealtimes that I was curious about. We’re taking the drinks upgrade anyway and will be quite happy with the Ponte Prosecco, which is reportedly a good wine. If the sparkling is a Spanish Cava we’ll certainly try it, but Sekt doesn’t seem quite to have kept up with the field.