Food on Carnival - Pleasantly Surprised

logan25

I have been vocal about my willingness to cruise multiple cruise lines and favor those which offer the best bargain for the experience I find acceptable.  So I am a bargain shopper without apology.  Before my most recent cruise, Carnival was near the bottom of my list of cruise lines I favor with my budget dollars for multiple reasons.  One of those reasons was the food options.  Well, I feel compelled to admit our Magic cruise has changed my heretofore moderated opinion of Carnival food.  We are not demanding nor expect 5-star presentation or service, so it is about basics and options without paying extra.

There have been vast changes since we last sailed Carnival nine years ago, with the addition of more complimentary food venues.  On the Magic, we vastly enjoyed the Guy's Burger, Guy's Smokehouse, wok station and Cucina del Capitano during complimentary lunch service.  And don't get me started about the only ship on which I have enjoyed complimentary lobster in the MDR since we started back cruising the past several months (on three different cruise lines).  Our expectations were met and exceeded.  Going forward, I will consider Carnival as a worthy competitor for my vacation dollars.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, logan25 said:

I have been vocal about my willingness to cruise multiple cruise lines and favor those which offer the best bargain for the experience I find acceptable.  So I am a bargain shopper without apology.  Before my most recent cruise, Carnival was near the bottom of my list of cruise lines I favor with my budget dollars for multiple reasons.  One of those reasons was the food options.  Well, I feel compelled to admit our Magic cruise has changed my heretofore moderated opinion of Carnival food.  We are not demanding nor expect 5-star presentation or service, so it is about basics and options without paying extra.

There have been vast changes since we last sailed Carnival nine years ago, with the addition of more complimentary food venues.  On the Magic, we vastly enjoyed the Guy's Burger, Guy's Smokehouse, wok station and Cucina del Capitano during complimentary lunch service.  And don't get me started about the only ship on which I have enjoyed complimentary lobster in the MDR since we started back cruising the past several months (on three different cruise lines).  Our expectations were met and exceeded.  Going forward, I will consider Carnival as a worthy competitor for my vacation dollars.

Over the years we found Carnival food to be better and have more selections (not including speciality pay restaurants) than RCL, NCL or Disney.  Everyone has their opinions but for us Carnival wins with their food selections especially lido deck options at lunch. 

• Like 5

I know I haven't cruised since early April 2015 (Carnival Liberty)

but in eleven Carnival cruises over the years previous

we never lacked for nutrtion and interesting choice!

And that includes weird shirt like Alligator and Frogs Legs -lol

My wife still talks about my daring....

Burrito-206.jpg

Guys-622.jpg

Veggie-260.jpg

Chicken-401.jpg

FruitSalad-396.jpg

Geometric-216.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Over the years we found Carnival food to be better and have more selections (not including speciality pay restaurants) than RCL, NCL or Disney.  Everyone has their opinions but for us Carnival wins with their food selections especially lido deck options at lunch. 

I cruise Carnival and RC.  I have never had a negative experience with either.  Carnival is my go to cruise line.  However, I am not picky either.  If the food is cooked and tastes good, I am happy!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bobbismith said:

One week from today we board the Pride. I am excited to hear your experience.  Did they have the rare items and port items?

Bobbi

I've been on Pride 7X and they always had the rare finds (that were called didja ever) and the port items.  Someone had mentioned that the rare finds are still served but not the port items aren't.  I haven't been on Pride since 1/20 so maybe someone else can confirm.

• Like 1

Glad to hear! No one has to like everything Carnival has, but I find it is an unparalleled value for the options they have. I don't take anyone serious who can't find anything or claims the food "inedible". What they have done with the food offerings on Mardi Gras is even more crazy. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bobbismith said:

One week from today we board the Pride. I am excited to hear your experience.  Did they have the rare items and port items?

Bobbi

We'll be on that one as well, our second post-Covid cruise and our first ever Thanksgiving cruise.  Out of all the cruises we've been on with Carnival we've only ever been truly disappointed with one meal, so that's a pretty good track record.

I'm wondering about Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR, I've read a few reviews saying it wasn't the greatest with the suggestion to either get carved turkey from the buffet or else book the Steakhouse that night.  I know some people can be ultra picky so I'm taking that with a grain of salt, if nothing else it'll be a great change from my wife spending hours in the kitchen stressing out over every little detail of a meal that will be over with in a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sail on here in 5 days. We have a duvet bar palette. If some french teen or something else is out in front of the food name, I am out. From what I have seen ion the menus in the MDR and the other eating venues, there will be more than enough for us to eat there. Was also given a tip that brunch in the MDR includes filet mignon. Not sure about that, but I will find out on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigrednole said:

We sail on here in 5 days. We have a duvet bar palette. If some french teen or something else is out in front of the food name, I am out. From what I have seen ion the menus in the MDR and the other eating venues, there will be more than enough for us to eat there. Was also given a tip that brunch in the MDR includes filet mignon. Not sure about that, but I will find out on Sunday.

Seaday brunch was a highlight for my husband with steak and eggs entree.

• Like 3

For the most part Carnival does a good job, we eat in the MDR every evening. Appetizers are usually excellent, their soups are excellent. They no longer call it the "Didja Ever" anymore but still have things like ox tongue, frog legs, alligator fritters, which my husband always tries. Entrees sometimes don't offer anything very appealing, but their veal parmigiana is great, so is the spanakopita, pasta carbonara, and others I can't think of right now.  The One thing that disappoints me is that they only offer about half the number of desserts they used to. As long as they offer the Grand Marnier Souffle for me, and the Warm Chocolate Melting cake for my husband, we're good. Don't see the Port specials anymore, nor do they list the optional sides, but they still have them, just ask.

There are so many choices for lunch. We found out the Mongolian Wok is the JiJi Asian restaurant at lunch, on deck 11 across the hall from the Pasta Bar, which is Cocina del Capitano at night. Guy's Burgers, taco salads from Blue Iguana Cantina, many choices at the Deli, pizza - haven't tried the Seafood Shack but I think there's a charge for all their dishes at lunch. Guy's Pig and Anchor does a pretty good job.

I've only cruised Carnival - 21 cruises - and one on Princess, so I can't compare to other cruise lines, but I've certainly never gone hungry on a cruise!

• Like 1

I forgot Honorable Mention Award goes to their pizza.

I have been disappointed and don’t waste calorie count injesting shipboard pizza.  That is my opinion after sampling pizza on nine different cruise lines.  (With the exception of my one Holland America cruise.  It was worthy.)

Anyway, in the nine years between then and now, Carnival changed something.  The crust, the sauce…?  Cannot say, but it actually rose to something I could enjoy.

• Like 2

HI all!

I just returned from BTB cruises on Horizon & was very happy with the meals & many dining venues.

I tried a few of the former Didja evers & the frog legs were huge & the ox tongue to die for. The 3 of us at the table who had it loved it!

I tried most of the restaurants, free & pay, except Teppanyaki which I've done before.

Donkey mentionned the teriyaki steak at Bonsai Sushi was the best meal on the ship & I liked it so much I felt like licking the bowl. It was a fun time there as we paraded around the room waving our

wind scoops.

This was the 1st time I tried the pizza which was very good & the deli Cuban sandwich, also good.

I can hardly wait for my Glory cruise in February!!

Stay safe & dream on!!

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, groundloop said:

We'll be on that one as well, our second post-Covid cruise and our first ever Thanksgiving cruise.  Out of all the cruises we've been on with Carnival we've only ever been truly disappointed with one meal, so that's a pretty good track record.

I'm wondering about Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR, I've read a few reviews saying it wasn't the greatest with the suggestion to either get carved turkey from the buffet or else book the Steakhouse that night.  I know some people can be ultra picky so I'm taking that with a grain of salt, if nothing else it'll be a great change from my wife spending hours in the kitchen stressing out over every little detail of a meal that will be over with in a few minutes.

Agree with you 100 percent, let the wives enjoy themselves without all the fuss

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, bigrednole said:

Yes, indeed, during sea-day brunch they offer a filet mignon (I'd call it a "petite" filet mignon) with eggs.  We think the sea-day brunch is one of THE best meal offerings on Carnival.  

• Like 1