Cleaning/Not Cleaning the Cabins

Seafan22

5 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Why take away the service that some people enjoy? If you don't want it done, just tell your steward. I think it is part of what makes cruising special.

That is exactly what we have done for the last decade. We offer this as a good will gesture to our cabin stewards who seem so over worked. We don't adjust the gratuities, we just want to give them a break to be kind. I can tell you that this gesture has been received with tremendous gratitude.

4 hours ago, Level six said:

Those that don't want turndown, or even daily service get a reduced fee. 

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to shake out that way. I suspect everyone will get reduced services as cruise companies struggle to pay their enormous covid debt. 

32 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Is there any note in the terms and conditions that the daily service charges includes twice daily cabin service?

Or is it just you/us that are expecting it because NCL and all other cruise lines have done it in the past?

I don't think it is written anywhere, just what was normally done.  $30+ seemed acceptable when you got all this pampering, now..........not so much.  IMHO. 

Like if you paid a maid to clean your house and they would also wash the windows. then they decided not to wash the windows but wanted the same amount of money???  Maybe the same???

These fees being discussed are the regular gratuities, and not extra tips, correct?

Those fees/gratuities get shared by a lot of other crew, including many whom passengers don't actually meet.... laundry... kitchen... and some others they do meet... those waitstaff in the restaurants (who might occasionally get tipped, but not like in regular restaurants), etc.

I think it's only the Suite Butlers and Concierge, and children's club staff, who do not share in the gratuities.  That's why it's considered appropriate to give them separate tips.

Those gratuities don't just go to those particular stewards.

So cutting back would affect all of those others, whose work may well not be decreased at all due to the change from twice to once per day cabin servicing.

GC

• Like 1

Reality check:
The reason hotels dont clean rooms anymore unless requested is because of COVID.  This has been the norm at many/most hotels for over a year.  On a cruise ship, people must present vaccination status and get tested prior to boarding.  Comparing hotel guests to cruise ship guests is like comparing apples to watermelons in the Covid age.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Those gratuities don't just go to those particular stewards.

So cutting back would affect all of those others, whose work may well not be decreased at all due to the change from twice to once per day cabin servicing.

I understand the way the gratuities work and always pay the recommended gratuities and more.   

There used to be a breakdown of how much was a recommended tip by the cruiseline back in the olden days and the room steward received the largest portion when we would actually leave them the money in an envelope, so I don't see how that could have changed that much. I think, if it works the same, that the stewards still receive the biggest portion.   

On 11/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, phillygwm said:

Pre-pandemic, it was announced that they'd be "on request" only.  I'm always sure to request.  I know it's dumb:  I'm a middle-aged guy travelling solo.  But it makes me smile.  The more I smile, the more I'll tip my room attendant 🙂

We're in our 60's, and on the Breakaway last month we requested towel animals.  Our cabin steward was happy to make them - he said he hardly makes them anymore. Every night we came back to our cabin trying to guess what they would be.  Every night we had a laugh because we were wrong.  From a mouse to a swan - they just make us smile!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Level six said:

True!  They should have an option for those that like it and expect it, then they pay full gratuities.  Those that don't want turndown, or even daily service get a reduced fee. 

A few cents out of your daily service charge goes to your room steward. Do you really want to reduce your daily service charge by a few cents?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Reality check:
The reason hotels dont clean rooms anymore unless requested is because of COVID.  This has been the norm at many/most hotels for over a year.  On a cruise ship, people must present vaccination status and get tested prior to boarding.  Comparing hotel guests to cruise ship guests is like comparing apples to watermelons in the Covid age.

I believe this may have been a reason in the very beginning of covid when we thought it could be transferred via hard surfaces, but now it’s a way for hotels to save money and deal with worker shortage. Cruises are next IMO. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe this may have been a reason in the very beginning of covid when we thought it could be transferred via hard surfaces, but now it’s a way for hotels to save money and deal with worker shortage. Cruises are next IMO. 

I doubt it.  There are not flocks of Americans that are working on cruise ships.  They are foreign flagged vessels and I don't think they have the shortages from their pipeline of workers like the states.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Right, and now Covid is just the excuse as the clientele is used to less service while no corresponding savings.

• Like 1

I think hotels are different personally. Lots of people have short stays, I have to think 7 nights in a courtyard is really rare for example. 

In addition, in hotels, you generally have a lot of space, multiple decent sized trash cans, some things you need can easily be retrieved yourself by going to the front desk, an ice machine, or garbage can, and they aren't worried about things you do causing fires really, just damage.

The cabin stewards also need to keep up with the cleaning. Cabins are small, and I'd think therefore easier to really get dirty fast for most people (at least compared to hotel rooms, I know some people trash those too). Everything is happening in a limited space, from bathroom to room service to getting ready.

I'd think they have enough that not daily service could make turnaround day a nightmare if they let the cleaning get ahead of them significantly, while on hotels, not everyone leaves on the same day.

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I doubt it.  There are not flocks of Americans that are working on cruise ships.  They are foreign flagged vessels and I don't think they have the shortages from their pipeline of workers like the states.

It is true they don't have the shortages like the USA (even Del Rio admitted he is having great difficulty staffing Pride since 60% needs to be American).

Regardless, if we totally remove the issue of staffing, cruise lines need to reduce cost. NCL is 12.3 BILLION dollars in debt. Sure they just restructured some debt, but they needed to use a chunk of that just to stay afloat right now. Stock prices have dropped over 30% since the last earnings call just 3 weeks ago (and continues to fall). Wall street sees the writing on the wall. 

Reality check: Cruise lines must find ways to increase profit and this one seems like a no brainer.

Time will tell of course. Let's revisit this topic in the future 😉

FYI: https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Shortage-of-crew-is-yet-another-hurdle-for-cruise-restart

Edited by BermudaBound2014

First hand experience from Carnival this past week. They only serviced the room once per day. For me and my family's liking, this was more than adequate. I had no need for service 2x per day. In all honesty, if they wanted to skip a day, that would have been fine as well. This is for us only. Others have a different opinion. I honestly have no clue what the room stewards would have done a second time other than tear down and put back the sofa bed. 

We sail on NCL Breakaway in 4 months. Whatever they do then will be more than fine for our needs. 

Remembering that the gratuities are spread across buffet servers and housekeeping staff that didn't service my cabin, I wouldn't be upset if NCL cut back to 1x a day unless requested.

On the Joy last week, the lighted 'make up room' and 'do not disturb' were handy, and we usually DND'd the evening.  My preference is to leave my pillow-fort/nest alone, but take any stinky trash (squishy strawberries, anyone?) and check the towels. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

It is true they don't have the shortages like the USA (even Del Rio admitted he is having great difficulty staffing Pride since 60% needs to be American).

Regardless, if we totally remove the issue of staffing, cruise lines need to reduce cost. NCL is 12.3 BILLION dollars in debt. Sure they just restructured some debt, but they needed to use a chunk of that just to stay afloat right now. Stock prices have dropped over 30% since the last earnings call just 3 weeks ago (and continues to fall). Wall street sees the writing on the wall. 

Reality check: Cruise lines must find ways to increase profit and this one seems like a no brainer.

Time will tell of course. Let's revisit this topic in the future 😉

FYI: https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Shortage-of-crew-is-yet-another-hurdle-for-cruise-restart

the future is here 😂 

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, jkrislc said:

I just read that on at least one Princess ship the stewards are only servicing the cabins once per day. I know they've toyed with this idea on Carnival in the past, too. There's some uproar since the service charge/gratuity has remained the same but less service is being received.

I never use housekeeping in hotels. I'd rather they not come into my room during my stay. Once a day would be sufficient on a ship for me. I don't really need my bed turned down or my drapes closed . . . at least not in an inside cabin. 😉

Once a day is now standard on CCL and has been for a few years.  When the steward comes to introduce himself on day 1 he asks which you prefer.  Because of status we usually receive the evening turndown anyway, but the evening service doesn’t matter to me a lot one way or the other, as long as I receive mt newsletter, but since CCL only does it on the app 👿 that’s  an issue for me.

on a an Ther thread a letter has been posted announcing that NCL is doing once a day starting with the Epic in January.

I'm all for once daily service (not so keen on the DSC increase tho!).

On my trip on the Encore in Studio a couple weeks ago it seemed like my steward was in my room 3-4 times a day. It was actually kind of obnoxious. 

• Like 2