Cruise From Rome - Help

Hi

we are planning a cruise 2 adults and our twins that will be 18 months at time of sailing and wanted a bit of advice for our oddsey of the seas sailing 

- is there a cheaper way to get from the port than a taxi, we will be staying in Rome city centre to the port and then port straight to airport. Can’t really find much information about coaches etc

- do you think a 12-15pm flight on the way back is enough time to get to the airport. Only one flight that day 

- I was going to add the drinks package on but it’s saying it’s £54 normally £77 so it dollars it’s about 72 dollars each a day still. Apparently that’s with 30% off.  Do you think this deal is likely to improve mybe In the January sale or at another time. Still seems quite a lot 

- also the room they said they will only allow one cot and the sofa bed. Anyone have any ideas if they might give you a second cot on board or if not what do you do to make the sofa bed safer for a 18 month year old. The guy on the phone said put extra pillows etc around it 🤷‍♂️

thanks for any advice given 

You could take the train it could well be a pain though with a lot of luggage.

Another possibility is a shared transfer but again could be kept waiting around for others.

If the ship docks on time and is cleared by customs a 12.15 flight is doable but I’d definitely pre book a taxi it’s about an hour to the airport from the dock but with traffic may take longer.

You could book the drinks package then cancel and re book if the price ( it almost certainly will ) comes down.

You would probably need about five alcoholic drinks per package to break even.

But the package would also include coffees sodas bottled water orange juice etc.

We put pillows round the sofa bed with no problem.

It would depend on where you are in Rome (ease of getting to Termini) and I agree it would depend on how much luggage.  If you have to trek to get to termini, then get through there (and how comfortable are you navigating it?) and then out the other end and get a taxi to the port......if you have babies, I wouldn’t want to manage any of that......easiest would be a transfer.  I bet the normal Rome airport car companies would have an option, (am I allowed to say a company?) like Rome Cabs.....

12 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

You could take the train it could well be a pain though with a lot of luggage.

Another possibility is a shared transfer but again could be kept waiting around for others.

If the ship docks on time and is cleared by customs a 12.15 flight is doable but I’d definitely pre book a taxi it’s about an hour to the airport from the dock but with traffic may take longer.

You could book the drinks package then cancel and re book if the price ( it almost certainly will ) comes down.

You would probably need about five alcoholic drinks per package to break even.

But the package would also include coffees sodas bottled water orange juice etc.

We put pillows round the sofa bed with no problem.

Thanks for your tips

so you think that drinks price will come down further. Even though it’s saying 30 percent off

1 minute ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Don’t believe the 30% off they always have some sort of offer on.

oh that’s good to no

do you remember when they done all inclusive free here in the uk with the premium drinks package. I was hoping that would come back for next year but not looking likely now  

You can try the CC Italy Board for lots of information on travel.  We wound up sharing a van with people who were on our cruise.  Sign up for the Meet and Greet for your cruise.  Good luck, and happy planning.  Enjoy your babies!!

I haven't used them but friends have, Check out RomeInLimo or  RomeToolKit websites for information on transfers.  I agree the train will be too much with luggage and a private transfer is wortth the extra money, especially if there ends up being a transit worker strike. These can pop up without much notice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Garyjames220 said:

Sounds like taxi is the best way

do u think I will have any issues getting taxis with two child seats 

If you reserve in advance and the company you use offers them no. I wouldn't expect them to have car seats if you wait and simply take a taxi once you are in the city. 

13 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

What does everyone else think about the drinks package

do you think it will come down more 72 dollars seems a lot and that’s the so called Black Friday offer 

There is no way to predict. for my January 2022 cruise it was $79 went to $58 now it is up to $61. If you really want it even at that price, book it then keep watching the planner and cancel / rebook if it goes down. 

43 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Sounds like taxi is the best way

do u think I will have any issues getting taxis with two child seats 

I believe that it was Romeinlimo  ( that jonj just mentioned) that we took from the airport to our hotel in Rome. As I said before, we shared a van with people we met online from our Meet and Greet.  Our flight was slightly delayed, and the driver was there waiting for us.   The driver dropped us at our hotel after dropping the other two couples at their hotel.  We had booked the same service to take us from the hotel to the port in Civitavecchia for the cruise, and again from the port to the airport.  We were very pleased with their service as well as their drivers.

1 hour ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

we are planning a cruise 2 adults and our twins that will be 18 months at time of sailing and wanted a bit of advice for our oddsey of the seas sailing 

- is there a cheaper way to get from the port than a taxi, we will be staying in Rome city centre to the port and then port straight to airport. Can’t really find much information about coaches etc

- do you think a 12-15pm flight on the way back is enough time to get to the airport. Only one flight that day 

- I was going to add the drinks package on but it’s saying it’s £54 normally £77 so it dollars it’s about 72 dollars each a day still. Apparently that’s with 30% off.  Do you think this deal is likely to improve mybe In the January sale or at another time. Still seems quite a lot 

- also the room they said they will only allow one cot and the sofa bed. Anyone have any ideas if they might give you a second cot on board or if not what do you do to make the sofa bed safer for a 18 month year old. The guy on the phone said put extra pillows etc around it 🤷‍♂️

thanks for any advice given 

take the train from rome to the port.  See if they have rccl transfers to airport that will work with your flight.

I don't think I would try the train with the two little ones and luggage etc.  Use Romeinlimo or check the destination boards for transport.  Also, why not just ask for a pack and play?  Unless there is not room for two.  I have twin grandsons that are 20 months and I think it would be difficult to navigate the train and all the luggage with them..

You really want to prebook a car service from your hotel to the port.  Especially with the littles.
Do NOT take the train.  Too much going on for you guys with the kids, luggage, stroller.
The same for going back to the airport.
As far as the drink package goes, I dont' know.  We are on the oddessy from Rome in may and haven't booked the drink package.  I doubt we will.  Too many ports and we get drinks loaded to our card from our Celebrity status. 
Once you see the cabin, you can figure out how the cot will work next to the couch.  I'm sure it will be ok because they are little.   Much safer than an overhead bunk bed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

do you think it will come down more 72 dollars seems a lot and that’s the so called Black Friday offer 

Bear in mind the headline prices on the UK site include the 18% gratuity, while those on the US site don’t. So it’s more like $61 plus gratuity which isn’t a terrible deal.

I have twins who are nine now, but we took the train when they were 2 almost 3. If you normally can maneuver the train it is easy in Rome. You just make your way to the main station(there are two that it leaves directly from) to the correct train and you are there within an hour- no train changes. People who look official used to hang around for tips so they are happy to help for a tip or you can shoo them away, (to help you load into the train.) The issue is a straight steep flight of stairs when you get to the cruise terminal stop. I walked my kids by the hand and my husband brought down the bags. There was another grandfather and daughter pair with two littles doing the same thing so we helped each other bring down bags and strollers and wait with bags, so it went perfectly.  If you pack light and wait for the crowd to disperse you can take your time. Most people will offer a hand too. Don't overpack. There is a couple dollar bus to take you to the cruise terminal and then a terminal bus from there, but with a double stroller I wouldn't bother, just walk. It's less than a mile oer about ten minutes. The bus  in the port is mandatory and free. Total cost 10 euro (5 euro per adult). I keep saying I like this port because it was easy and cheap to get to. Not dealing with car seats at that age is a delight.

cars were running  $100 or more for prebooking. Upon disembarkation - outside the ship port exit the shared vans were offering  15-20 euro per person shared rides. If you want car seats prebook and pay the fee- I have never found two car seats available in any car/taxi service without prebooking. You could make that Flight time, but you would need to exit the ship right away. I would get a hotel for the night and leave the next day, rushing and kids don't work well. You can also take the train but not if you want to make an early flight because you have to backtrack through Rome, good though if you want to add a day. We only used the train so if you are a comfortable traveler you can, if you never travel with your kids, get the taxi/car service.

I could have my kids share the bottom bunk laying feet to feet with a pillow on the side, but they also had a rail on the top bunk, so depends on the size of the rail. Another option is the couch with a pillow-I have done whatever works once we are onboard  from 18 months and up. I was able to get more than one crib onboard by asking, but it sucks because you have no room to move. When they were young like that I would ask for a room with a pull out couch, but you need someone who knows what they are doing or go online and research yourself and ask for those specific rooms.

At that age I could never sit and drink more than one but that is expensive, but it depends on how much you drink if it is worth it.

We pre booked transfers online with Civitavecchia Shuttle Express, from our hotel in Rome to the ship and then from the ship to the airport. It was hassle free and reasonably priced - I personally would not attempt the train with 2 toddlers and luggage. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BekkaW said:

We pre booked transfers online with Civitavecchia Shuttle Express, from our hotel in Rome to the ship and then from the ship to the airport. It was hassle free and reasonably priced - I personally would not attempt the train with 2 toddlers and luggage. 

And car seats and strollers…

Personally I don't think I would want to navigate trains with two small children plus baggage and pushchairs.  We booked a shared service from the port to the airport which went smoothly enough. There's a lot of info in the Italian ports forum, link below.

The drink package costs depends on how much you would utilise it. I'm quite happy with the included drinks during the day, tea, coffee, flavoured iced water etc. Though we now get four free 'diamond' drinks, even when we were new to RC I was happy to just pay as you go. Don't forget you can take two bottles of wine on board, and there are often drinks or deals of the day. Also Med cruises are very port intensive and we often will get a beer or whatever in a cafe

Hope you and the family have lovely holiday. Mediterranean cruises are fab

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/464-italy-ports/

9 hours ago, Garyjames220 said:

You can always cancel and rebook if the prices drop. Don't be taken in by their so called sales . Its not a true sale. Well only off the price charged on board i guess