Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

6 minutes ago, melbrook said:

@Fouremco You are so sweet and that is excellent advice.  Our cruise sails Wednesday so we actually have quite a few days to get there.  I think we will leave Sunday, stop at Orlando Monday, tour Epcot Tuesday (hubby has never been) and then drive to FLL for the night so we wake up nice and close to the ship Wednesday.  I have never parked at the port before so I now need to figure out the logistics there.  Do we drop bags at the porters and then park? 

The cruise ends Saturday and we both have to be at work Monday so the drive home is less flexible.  Bad weather, traffic or car trouble and our plans are toast. That part is a risk I am willing to take.  We talked about adding a day to the end even to have a break between the drive & work but that seems a waste of a valuable vacation day.   

Well, you certainly deserve a gold star for all of your excellent planning! 

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Probably just a different responsibility centre within Celebrity that handles excursions and cabanas. That's why refunds come in dribs and drabs rather than a single payment. I start a new spreadsheet for each cruise, and then track all credits and debits. With cancellations, there tends to be several lines with the credits.

My plan also....I have spreadsheets going back 20 cruises...nice to compare prices year over year.  Easy to delete each credit as it appears, however I've found they seldom match line to line...odd accounting system they have.  But the bottom line matches after refunds are complete which is what matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Probably just a different responsibility centre within Celebrity that handles excursions and cabanas. That's why refunds come in dribs and drabs rather than a single payment. I start a new spreadsheet for each cruise, and then track all credits and debits. With cancellations, there tends to be several lines with the credits.

Yes I’ll make sure to keep good track. 
thanks again!

(I’ll put my vote in for YouTube videos as well 😉)

• Like 1

We have already paid in full for Celebrity February 12 cruise - I am sooo torn.  I personally believe there is going to be a very high spike in cases that will drop very quickly.  My son had Omicron 10 days ago and it was more like a head cold - which is what we are hearing are the symptoms vs Delta - so he's been in his room isolating and ready to come out!  Surprisingly we are living in same household and hubby and I are negative ( we had our booster 4 days before he tested positive).  This thing is going around like wildfire tho - this may be the way to end it, if, fingers crossed, its mild.   I haven't booked our airfare yet.  The AC website says that you can cancel and get a credit for future travel, but it doesn't indicate if you have to book your airfare by a certain date to get this assurance.  I had heard that was maybe over Dec 30 - can anyone confirm?

1 hour ago, skatie said:

We have already paid in full for Celebrity February 12 cruise - I am sooo torn.  I personally believe there is going to be a very high spike in cases that will drop very quickly.  My son had Omicron 10 days ago and it was more like a head cold - which is what we are hearing are the symptoms vs Delta - so he's been in his room isolating and ready to come out!  Surprisingly we are living in same household and hubby and I are negative ( we had our booster 4 days before he tested positive).  This thing is going around like wildfire tho - this may be the way to end it, if, fingers crossed, its mild.   I haven't booked our airfare yet.  The AC website says that you can cancel and get a credit for future travel, but it doesn't indicate if you have to book your airfare by a certain date to get this assurance.  I had heard that was maybe over Dec 30 - can anyone confirm?

Why don't you consider booking REFUNDABLE flights with AC?  I did & have received a FULL REFUND!

• Like 2

After many many reads and thoughts finally we cancelled our NCL sailings on January 05 and January 16th out of Miami. Didn’t want to risk flying back to YYZ.

Now we need some help or an idea from CC that NCL says we don’t qualify for any FCC.  We have submitted claims and attached clips from the Canadian media showing travel advisory. We have done over 42 cruises but never had to face a situation like this before. 

thanks.

2 hours ago, skatie said:

Here is what it says at the AC site:

No change fees

Book this trip today knowing you can modify your travel date or destination without change fees, up to 2 hours prior to your departure if your travel plans change. Just pay the fare difference, if any. Applicable for bookings made until January 31, 2022.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 14Canadian said:

After many many reads and thoughts finally we cancelled our NCL sailings on January 05 and January 16th out of Miami. Didn’t want to risk flying back to YYZ.

Now we need some help or an idea from CC that NCL says we don’t qualify for any FCC.  We have submitted claims and attached clips from the Canadian media showing travel advisory. We have done over 42 cruises but never had to face a situation like this before. 

thanks.

Would be nice but Not sure they will,  as the Canadian level four warning to not cruise has not changed.    Hoping you have travel cancellation insurance that will help.   Ours is not valid for the new advisory because Covid was a known condition when we booked.  Let us know if they do something for goodwill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Needabiggerlens said:

It’s killing me but I have no cruises booked. The news out of RC board has sealed the deal for me. Case counts are up to 60 and counting. Shows have been cancelled and they have been denied entry into Aruba and Curaçao.

I guess I’m not as fearless as I thought! Safe travels to those continuing on and for those cancelling or postponing you’re in good company.

Happy Holidays everyone. For now I’ll continue my armchair travelling through CC.

It is my understanding that Royal Caribbean chose to go with a mask-free policy so there is more risk involved. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

As your home is on the West Coast as are we, just curious if you found Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance for your cruises?  We have not been successful in finding any that cover Covid and with the current Travel Advisory.  Medical insurance for Covid is widely available. Thanks very much and enjoy Spain - Cadiz is a favourite of ours.

We have travel medical insurance for COVID but do not have trip cancellation/interruption insurance.  All but one of our upcoming cruises, including the one departing on December 28th, can be cancelled by us for either a FCC or refund.

12 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

As your home is on the West Coast as are we, just curious if you found Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance for your cruises?  We have not been successful in finding any that cover Covid and with the current Travel Advisory.  Medical insurance for Covid is widely available. Thanks very much and enjoy Spain - Cadiz is a favourite of ours.

You won't be able to get cancellation/interruption coverage for Covid, because it has been a known risk since March 2020. You have to rely on the cancellation policies of the cruise line, airline, and any other suppliers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skatie said:

I cancelled my AC flights last week and got a credit.  The credit has NO expiry date.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Why don't you consider booking REFUNDABLE flights with AC?  I did & have received a FULL REFUND!

Depending on the date/ route, the refundables I've seen can be double or more the Flex fare.    That is a lot of $$.  
We booked Flex with the current AC cancellation policies (of one free change etc ) that are currently available.  

• Like 3

We booked excellent fares last year to San Juan for our now cancelled cruise (WestJet there, Air Canada back, both non stop).

We too booked the -one free change or cancel for credit- fare. Right now, that almost full flight is $1020 one way pp. So, although we cancelled our cruise we are going to hang on to the flights and contemplate a one week vacation in San Juan over March Break. We love it there, for the few times we stayed a night or two, pre cruising. I've secured a refundable rate for a hotel close to the beach (Embassy Suites) . We will see what March looks like. The hotel booking was about the same price as the cruise, so with food it will be more, but at this point, we really just want some sand, sun  and a beach to relax. 

We are booked on a cruise for Feb 7 for the ABC Island with Oceania.  We would like to cancel but of course final payment has already passed so no money back.  It sounds very stressful now with everything you have to go through with testing.  I sure hope things get better as we really don’t feel comfortable coming from BC to cruise at the moment!

Has anyone on Oceania had any luck getting a refund or FCC?

Edited by golfnut64

10 hours ago, golfnut64 said:

We are booked on a cruise for Feb 7 for the ABC Island with Oceania.  We would like to cancel but of course final payment has already passed so no money back.  It sounds very stressful now with everything you have to go through with testing.  I sure hope things get better as we really don’t feel comfortable coming from BC to cruise at the moment!

Has anyone on Oceania had any luck getting a refund or FCC?

Someone has ..from the Oceania thread....

On 12/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, skatie said:

The AC website says that you can cancel and get a credit for future travel, but it doesn't indicate if you have to book your airfare by a certain date to get this assurance.  I had heard that was maybe over Dec 30 - can anyone confirm?

AC will give you a credit with no expiry. I had lots, it's like found money when I want to fly,  I preferred it to a refund!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, melbur said:

AC will give you a credit with no expiry. I had lots, it's like found money when I want to fly,  I preferred it to a refund!

I think we are in the minority, but I like getting credits for cancellations as well. Since the money was already gone, when I plan a holiday, it seems free or partially paid!

There is a limit though as sometimes they become hard to keep track of and use by expiry dates (if they have them).

• Like 4

After much deliberation, DW and I agreed this afternoon to cancel our March cruise.  We get our deposit back, and our FCC will be reissued. It has to be used for a cruise a maximum of one year from the date of the cancelled cruise, so the hunt is on. We'd originally had a HAL cruise in mind for 2023, but will need to stick with Celebrity to use up the FCC.

• Like 9

Well, after holding out hope that we'd be able to board the Equinox on Jan 3, we're going to have to cancel. Me and my partner both tested positive today.

We are shocked because we are boosted and have been pathetically cautious all this time. I guess we'll need to reschedule. Super frustrating!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bigtony22127 said:

Well, after holding out hope that we'd be able to board the Equinox on Jan 3, we're going to have to cancel. Me and my partner both tested positive today.

We are shocked because we are boosted and have been pathetically cautious all this time. I guess we'll need to reschedule. Super frustrating!

Did you repeat the test or followup with a PCR test?

Edited by broberts

1 hour ago, bigtony22127 said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  Can you comment on how you are feeling?  Did you have any symptoms?  I hope you recover quickly and you are refunded/credited any payments you have made.  Let us know how things go.  Take care.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

After much deliberation, DW and I agreed this afternoon to cancel our March cruise.  We get our deposit back, and our FCC will be reissued. It has to be used for a cruise a maximum of one year from the date of the cancelled cruise, so the hunt is on. We'd originally had a HAL cruise in mind for 2023, but will need to stick with Celebrity to use up the FCC.

I'm sorry to hear you have come to that conclusion, but a respect that you have made an informed decision for your needs. We have made final payment and our cruise is in early April. We will continue to monitor the situation.

Be well everyone. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear you decided to cancel Fouremco and I am 100% sure it did not come without careful thought.  You seem to have a fantastic attitude about it all.  Unless we test positive between now and Jan 20 my wife and I still plan on being on Enchantment out of Baltimore for our first ever cruise.  VERY poor timing, but in our case we will just roll with it and see how it all goes.  Everyone needs to do what is inside their own comfort level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1