Silver Moon 3 Jan 2022 it's finally here! Feedback.... And any Questions, fire away.

les37b

Les37b, I've been on the same voyage as you...and it seems amazing how I see this whole experiece/voyage/cruise through a whole different set of eyes. And, yes, a positive test has been part of my experience...

I plan to leave cruise critic... because the key word is 'CRITIC".

And this blog is certainly not helpful.... Silversea has been wonderful during this entire pandemic..

Cheers.

• Like 1

voyageur, before you go, what is wrong with criticism by users on/of this forum when its purpose is getting information on Silversea goings-on? What better way is there for the general public to get news?

My latest "criticism" is to wonder why in the world Barbara Muckermann, Chief Commercial Officer, in her senior role uses Facebook to chat about substantive issues of general interest rather than a broad-based platform. Does she think everyone interested Silversea past and future passenger interested in news only uses Facebook? Or that those of us who have interest in news should be obliged to use Facebook? 

I cannot imagine that this usage by her sets a standard for corporate communications at any level. There is no substitute for professionalism, and a narrow Facebook dialogue with the few is not it.

Of course if voyageur is gone now, would someone else have an idea as to how Silversea can improve the quality and delivery of its senior management's news, even if its timeliness would be less. Come on!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Voyager - criticism is that act of assessing or appraising something usually with supporting argument. The whole purpose of reading CC threads is to hear the experiences of others. If someone is having an especially good or bad experience then this should be known. The reader can then use their own judgement when reading posts as to whether what they read is useful to them. 

It's not hard to differentiate between criticism based on descriptive evidence and criticism that is just subjective blather; eg, "The food was rubbish", well that means nothing, compared to " the food was consistently cold, undercooked, late etc", that's a comment worth hearing.  Similarly for positive criticism - "the food was of exceptional quality with attentive service from the well-trained staff". 

While positive criticism is heartwarming, negative criticism cannot be ignored. If you feel differently from Les about the recent moon cruise, you would better serve your contentions by describing you experiences rather than walking away. 

But I agree that if you subscribe to a site with 'critic' in the title and don't like to read criticism, it might be best to look elsewhere. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typos!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, voyageur said:

Les37b, I've been on the same voyage as you...and it seems amazing how I see this whole experiece/voyage/cruise through a whole different set of eyes. And, yes, a positive test has been part of my experience...

I plan to leave cruise critic... because the key word is 'CRITIC".

And this blog is certainly not helpful.... Silversea has been wonderful during this entire pandemic..

Cheers.

You tested positive and were in the red zone for 10 days of this trip? 

I assume you must have been the first 2 guests who were positive on the 3rd day. If so, your quarantine period would have over lapped. Did you receive hot food during your time there? I would be amazed if you did as the 2 ladies who joined you there definitely didn't. That issue has now been corrected and the CD was shocked guests were receiving the same cold offerings which she also got.

Why did you not post during your cruise?

My experience up until that point was very good. The ship is fantastic and the crew doubly so and stated that. My only issues were the hotel used and concerns about the tours in respect of sanitation by the third party companies.

Paying for a 16 night cruise and being separated for 10 days is not my idea of fun. But each to their own. I've stated the crew have been great towards me personally since it happened and nothing has changed there. 

I look forward to your positive review of this cruise.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, markham said:

My latest "criticism" is to wonder why in the world Barbara Muckermann, Chief Commercial Officer, in her senior role uses Facebook to chat about substantive issues of general interest rather than a broad-based platform. Does she think everyone interested Silversea past and future passenger interested in news only uses Facebook? Or that those of us who have interest in news should be obliged to use Facebook? 

I cannot imagine that this usage by her sets a standard for corporate communications at any level. There is no substitute for professionalism, and a narrow Facebook dialogue with the few is not it.

Just curious… where do you believe SS should discuss substantive issues?

As a relative lengthy participant in CC’s SS forum, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FB group (currently 8,200 members) is a more broad based platform than this forum.  CC characterizes itself as a “review” site with a forum component, so to say the FB dialogue is narrow would be a mischaracterization IMHO.

The world has transitioned into a variety of social media channels whereby companies communicate with their constituents.  Marketers know they can reach the bulk of their target via FB, Twitter, et al, while the savviest have been using Snapchat to reach Millennials and are starting to experiment with TikTok to reach generation Z.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Just curious… where do you believe SS should discuss substantive issues?

As a relative lengthy participant in CC’s SS forum, I wouldn’t be surprised if the FB group (currently 8,200 members) is a more broad based platform than this forum.  CC characterizes itself as a “review” site with a forum component, so to say the FB dialogue is narrow would be a mischaracterization IMHO.

The world has transitioned into a variety of social media channels whereby companies communicate with their constituents.  Marketers know they can reach the bulk of their target via FB, Twitter, et al, while the savviest have been using Snapchat to reach Millennials and are starting to experiment with TikTok to reach generation Z.

I personally don't use Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or TikTok, but do regard myself as reasonably IT savvy. I just don't like these platforms so avoid. I certainly don't think it should be used as a noticeboard by SS.

I do use emails and have access to the SS website, which I think is a far better way.

Those travelling on the grand voyage, found a letter on their beds on day 1 of the second leg (after their antigen test) informing them Argentina was cancelled and Uruguay was now the end point of this segment. Things are changing almost daily. I personally knew of this "rumour" 6 days before it happened and think it's terrible they didn't learn until it was too late to pack their bags and cancel. Several on the cruise have said they are hugely disappointed they hadn't been told. Others are happy to go with the flow. Transparency is paramount and communication remains (and rightly so IMHO) the biggest annoyance with SS.

• Like 2

I'm not a facebook user by choice but realise that having an account is pretty much essential to access many sites. So like me and many others I'm sure, just create new email address and a facebook account with your pets name or whatever rocks you boat. Adjust the privacy settings to the max and you are good to go. If and when you think it's getting too intrusive just delete the account.

And voyageur the clue is in the title Cruise "Critic"

Using Facebook is a choice and I choose not to do so. Simple as that. But if Barbara Muckermann has chosen to update the public via Facebook she should say so. I hardly think that will be the end of the story, though.

Companies usually deliver their information via their own website. Doesn’t she have time to bother/is Facebook more fun for her/would using the Silversea website make too much work for her somehow/why doesn’t she mirror the gist of her Facebook messages on the website? This choice of Facebook is amateurish and is haphazard. Fine for some but not for all, and isn’t that what corporate customer communications is all about?

• Like 6

PS- BTW, most all of us past Silversea passengers use email, and if Silversea has interesting information to share on its website - in response to Facebook questions to anything else concern8ng operations - they can email highlights to us with links to the detail. This is a job for Communications to coordinate, and the process would help keep most everyone up to date.

Facebook, in contrast, is exclusionary in effect, and obviously does not do the job same job. A bit more work would make sense for the good of us all  during these difficult times as we try to navigate through our choices to cruise or not to cruise and use any FCCs that we have at our disposal.

• Like 3

Family members use FB and urged me to join when it was starting up.   No way.  And now I know a few others share my feelings.

I do wish someone on Moon could tell me if bottled spring water and real maple syrup might be available before packing our bags.  Unlike Crystal, I do not book SS to enjoy cuisine.   But would like to peacefully survive the number of consecutive sea days before landing in Barbados. 

45 minutes ago, saminina said:

Family members use FB and urged me to join when it was starting up.   No way.  And now I know a few others share my feelings.

I do wish someone on Moon could tell me if bottled spring water and real maple syrup might be available before packing our bags.  Unlike Crystal, I do not book SS to enjoy cuisine.   But would like to peacefully survive the number of consecutive sea days before landing in Barbados. 

Tough times at Crystal

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/crystal-cruises-pauses-operations

Captain announcement.... Port engine is off and running with reduced speed on starboard engine only. On arrival in Arica the engine and props to be investigated and we await the findings. I'm pleased the captain has addressed this with his announcement, because for 2 minutes it was pretty scary. 

It continues to be an eventful cruise. Fingers crossed the repair is easy and the schedule going forward unaffected. 

Saminna Fizzy water is San Pellegrino and Perrier plus no names from ports.  I asked the butler the question and he has kindly brought some to the suite.

IMG_20220121_085129.thumb.jpg.bf56281a2dcea4fc9bc069e2e0ba82ec.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Les!   Just received letter from Mucklemann, or whatever her name is for those boarding at next stop.   "you will be sent new airline routing.....no changes allowed."   For those that had been booked to Buenos Aires, this might be a shocker.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markham said:

But if Barbara Muckermann has chosen to update the public via Facebook she should say so. I hardly think that will be the end of the story, though.

Hi Markham, I'm not going to defend Barbara Muckermann and her general lack of transparency to guests, however most of her posts have been to individual posters and their issues in the closed Silversea Passengers Facebook group.

Sometimes information is included in her response that may be useful to other Silversea guests and which doesn't appear to have been communicated by Silversea.

IMHO we should not be worrying about what is or isn't going on in the Facebook group but all pushing Silversea, and Barbara Muckerman in particular, to be open and frank about what is going on when it impacts booked guests and those who have FCC's to use.

• Like 6

Silver Spectre,

I agree with your thoughts. Transparency and disclosure in corporate communications is vital especially given the Crystal situation. Everyone should be treated the same whether or not they use Facebook or are part of some closed group (!!!), as you mention. 

I think the owners of Silversea should establish some standards. It is not the same line as a couple of years ago when it was private with just a few ships, now quite old. The brand has been broadened and improved since the launch of the beautiful Muse, Moon and Dawn, under a publicly traded entity, so that it can compete more successfully. 

• Like 1

It appears many have misinterpreted my reply to markham which was specifically geared to the comment that said, “chat about substantive issues of general interest”.  

Corporate websites and email are not effective vehicles for chatting.  They are useful for distributing information.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reef Knot said:

I'm not a facebook user by choice but realise that having an account is pretty much essential to access many sites. So like me and many others I'm sure, just create new email address and a facebook account with your pets name or whatever rocks you boat. Adjust the privacy settings to the max and you are good to go. If and when you think it's getting too intrusive just delete the account.

And voyageur the clue is in the title Cruise "Critic"

I have Facebook account & use it only for sites related to goods & services that I purchase.  For instance, during a recent home renovation & some problems with a major vendor, I went on their FB page to address issues, because the local representative was not helpful. Within 24 hrs I had a call from regional manager who said Corporate asked them to call me and talk about the issue. Within 2 days,  the issue was rectified to my satisfaction.  All companies worth your attention should have social media staff.  It does matter.  No one likes bad press.

Edited by cece50
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seaver said:

Les, Happy reunion day!

It's tomorrow.... Not long now.

I've very much led a solitary existence  since. I need a negative PCR in Arica.

The last 2 days have been scorching, but today much cooler. At breakfast in La Terrazza, we managed to see a Whale breach then a few spouts.no idea what it was, but relatively small. Heading north.

From about 10.30am it's been very misty and a bit Chile.... Even though we are still in Peruvian waters! lol

Last night we received a letter regarding the prop.

IMG_20220122_104425.thumb.jpg.7f393b595c623952abc6dea84fb08f2f.jpg

Edited by les37b
  • Thanks 1

Les

I always follow your voyages and must say if I had to spend 10 days in a cabin it might be more than I could bear.  We like to DIY port calls ourselves,  but I’m surprised that Silversea has continued to let passengers go ashore independently after the experience with the Spirit in the Caribbean.  Incidentally, passengers on the WC went ashore for a party in Cartagena and some have now tested positive.  
Stay safe and if your still on for the Chilean  glacier fjords, they’re pretty spectacular 

• Like 1

That sounds like the problem we had on the Azamara Journey in Feb 2014, a prop got tangled in cables going into Tokyo harbor. We limped along to Osaka and then they flew us to Shanghai where we were supposed to end the cruise. The ship then had to go to Korea to be fixed.  Good luck.