Please help if you are currently on the Ruby.

HaveDogWillTravel

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/princess-cruise-ship-to-pull-into-san-francisco-after-covid-outbreak/2771538/

A couple on the ship claim there is a huge outbreak of covid on Ruby. They claim the entertainment has been cancelled and the crew has been lax in covid protocols. 

They’ve contacted several health agencies including CDC trying to warn SF what’s about to get unloaded tomorrow. 

if you are on board can you shed any light on this?  

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The news in the article is unsubstantiated and I am finding it hard to believe. Yes it would be great if someone on board could do a crew chat or ask an officer. But realizing this is the last night of the cruise everyone is probably having too much fun to read this! 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

A couple on the ship claim there is a huge outbreak of covid on Ruby. They claim the entertainment has been cancelled and the crew has been lax in covid protocols. 

This would not surprise me because we are on the Majestic and even though Princess promotes itself as "Healthy Cruising" we have yet to see one crew member in any venue enforce passengers to comply with their own health protocols when they are not being followed or ignored by passengers.....they appear to be all talk and no walk..... our experience on board is that we are left to protect ourselves without Princess showing any concern...I suspect it would be easy for an outbreak to occur.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Thanks 1

[ Instead of celebrating, the couple said they’ve been isolating in their room, afraid to venture out after the entertainers for the ship had to quarantine due to a reported COVID outbreak. ]

If they're isolating in their cabin, how do they know what's happening on the ship? 🤔🤔

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Every ship with passengers sailing from the US currently has positive cases aboard per the CDC, so it is not surprising. Most cases reported have been crew members who are required to be tested. Only passengers who have symptoms or go to the medical center are generally tested. If they tested all passengers during the cruise, I suspect there would be more cases reported among passengers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/01/05/every-cruise-ship-covid-cdc/

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Every ship sailing from the US currently has positive cases aboard per the CDC, so it is not surprising. Most cases reported have been crew members who are required to be tested. Only passengers who have symptoms or go to the medical center are generally tested. If they tested all passengers during the cruise, I suspect there would be more cases reported among passengers.

Very true.  Still it would be nice if everyone followed the rules or rules were enforced so people couldn't blame it on Princess/cruising in general.

• Like 4

I am currently on the Ruby.  They are correct that the production shows were cancelled this week and there are crew members in quarantine.  However, their characterization  of the cruise has not been my experience.  With that said, we did receive a call this afternoon advising that the port of San Francisco is requiring a random 25% of passengers to be tested before disembarkation.  We were selected and tested negative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 15

@Grover_ thank you for filling in some context.  Without the evening production shows, did the CD attempt to replace the nightly entertainment with something else?  Because to be fair, the shows are a big part of my cruise experience, and I'd be disappointed to have no evening entertainment.

• Haha 1

We are also on the Ruby right now and did not get selected to test. We have received no notices from the ship or announcements on Covid other than the standard ones in our cabin at the start and a notification that the entertainment schedule was being modified for “operational reasons”. During our port visit in San Diego, several crew members left the ship. Our experience is that the crew stays fully masked and passengers are masked except when eating and drinking and are even following the “sip and cover” protocol most times. With only 720 passengers we found it easy to social distance. 

Our entertainment has been reasonably good considering the production show cast had to quarantine several days. They did get released and put on two shows. We also had several comics and solo singers with the band backing them up. The other venues had consistent entertainment also. 

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

40 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Thanks for the info. I just think this is not good news if your thinking of taking a cruise at this time.

Tony 

Unfortunately people that over react make the news.

with almost 3 infections per thousand in Florida and 1.25 per thousand in California, you are likely to see some cases make it on board.  However, this is also not like the early days when there was no vaccine, no effective treatments and little is known. These days the most risk is inconvenience.  The chance of getting quarantined for 5 days, the chance of having the entertainment or ship services impacted by cases with the crew.  As far as Covid  itself, if you are vaccinated and especially if boosted, the cases are pretty mild in most cases.

If someone has serious health issues then they might not to cruise for health reasons.  For just about everyone else the issue is more do they want to spend money on a vacation where it might not end up being what they expected.

As far as this story it sounds like someone who heard that there was actually Covid cases on board and then proceeded to act like it was the Diamond or the Grand from March 2020.  We will find out the situation with the sample testing.  There will probably be some cases, but probably less than has popped up on some of the RCL cruises out of Florida. Test any percentage of the population at random and you will turn up cases.  

Anyone paying attention will expect that there likely be some cases make it on board.  That should not be a surprise.

PS I just booked the Jan 19 cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess today.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

with almost 3 infections per thousand in Florida and 1.25 per thousand in California, you are likely to see some cases make it on board.  However, this is also not like the early days when there was no vaccine, no effective treatments and little is known. These days the most risk is inconvenience.  The chance of getting quarantined for 5 days, the chance of having the entertainment or ship services impacted by cases with the crew.  As far as Covid  itself, if you are vaccinated and especially if boosted, the cases are pretty mild in most cases.

If someone has serious health issues then they might not to cruise for health reasons.  For just about everyone else the issue is more do they want to spend money on a vacation where it might not end up being what they expected.

As far as this story it sounds like someone who heard that there was actually Covid cases on board and then proceeded to act like it was the Diamond or the Grand from March 2020.  We will find out the situation with the sample testing.  There will probably be some cases, but probably less than has popped up on some of the RCL cruises out of Florida. Test any percentage of the population at random and you will turn up cases.  

Anyone paying attention will expect that there likely be some cases make it on board.  That should not be a surprise.

Always the voice of reason.  Thank you!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nocl said:

PS I just booked the Jan 19 cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess today.

Good luck to you my friend. I hope you have a safe and great cruise.  I’m still not going to take the chance of getting the Covid Virus and being locked in my cabin for the rest of the the cruise.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 5

That couple seem to be causing their own problems. maybe they are looking for a refund. If they were so paranoid they shouldn't have been cruising. It is good to be cautious. We just got off the Grand and Princess is doing a wonderful job keeping us safe.

Friends on board the Ruby have been in contact with me every day and other than the production show at the beginning cancelled, saw no signs that things were going downhill. They were part of the 25% that got random tested yesterday  .

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

That couple seem to be causing their own problems. maybe they are looking for a refund. If they were so paranoid they shouldn't have been cruising. It is good to be cautious. We just got off the Grand and Princess is doing a wonderful job keeping us safe.

Friends on board the Ruby have been in contact with me every day and other than the production show at the beginning cancelled, saw no signs that things were going downhill. They were part of the 25% that got random tested yesterday  .

Well said!  We were also on the Grand and had an awesome cruise.  

• Like 3