Please help if you are currently on the Ruby.

HaveDogWillTravel

18 minutes ago, nocl said:

Just saw in an article  that SF may require cruise lines to test all passengers whose vaccinations have not been kept up to date,  including boosters, at the end of each cruise there.

Will be interesting  to see their definition of up to date will be.

Ok by me.  We're both "fully vaccinated" and boosted and have cards to prove it.  Surprised Princess has not already required the booster part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Bad math and facts.  "700 passengers & crew" is very unlikely.  The crew would be 1,200 if ship is at full capacity.  There were only around 700 passengers for this cruise.  The article refers to 25% of 700 (or 175 est) passengers being tested, resulting in 12 positives.  12/175 would be a 6.87% positive rate which is pretty high.  But, this is a virus where if you are sick, you are likely to not know it.

187 pax + 1200 crew (tested weekly / biweekly) = 1387. 12 out of 1387 = 0.8652% but we should know soon as it'll be yellow or red once full reporting is done. They tested all crew on the 2 ships i was on once someone was positive

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

187 pax + 1200 crew (tested weekly / biweekly) = 1387. 12 out of 1387 = 0.8652% but we should know soon as it'll be yellow or red once full reporting is done. They tested all crew on the 2 ships i was on once someone was positive

crew gets tested atleast every 7 days since restart.

• Like 2

I live in Arizona and I can’t wait to get on safely because I know it will be safer than going to Costco or the grocery store here .  Maybe 50% of people are masked,  no mandates.  I heard a Dr (pretty sure it was local) on TV say that if you leave your house, you will probably get Covid.  My family has had it twice.  I know the ship will be safer!

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, CruiseSter1ing said:

I don't know.  I just was doing the math.  And 12 of 1850 = .0064 or .64%.   I don't understand that color stuff.

I just heard that the 12 was of the % tested not the total passenger/crew.   Where's the understanding of a proper sample to be tested?  If I test only the NFL players for concussions, that does not mean the total population has that % of concussions.   Such non-sense.

• Like 1

The Grand is currently sailing to Hawaii. (embarked 1-4-22)  Pax have been given notices that they will be tested twice on their voyage.  I calculated the timing from the notice posted in that thread.  It should be the  3rd & 10th day. 

I am hoping that Pax will be reporting what the resulting numbers are and how the ship responds. 

It's a nail biter for sure!  even this close to cruising!  Yikes! 

Also, we have a friend who boarded Ruby Princess today (she's doing a B to B - Mexico Riviera/Hawaii) so I will be messaging with her.

Hang in there everyone!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Good luck to you my friend. I hope you have a safe and great cruise.  I’m still not going to take the chance of getting the Covid Virus and being locked in my cabin for the rest of the the cruise.

Tony

I agree.  I just canceled my cruise on the Ruby for January 31st.  I don't want to be locked in a room by myself in the covid wing if I test positive.  Not after paying all that money for a cruise.  I will rebook during the summer and hope things have calmed down by then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

However, that KTVU article referred to 25% of 700 passengers being tested and 12 were positive.  Of course, KTVU could be misleading and not conveying all the facts.  Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm on the Ruby Princess for the Jan. 16th cruise to Hawaii and I'm not planning to cancel unless someone dies on this current cruise to Mexico.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm not afraid of catching a cold which is what the Omicron is right now.  P.S. you had 0.6% originally and you have 0.8652% now.  As a former Math teacher, I can't give you a F - not allowed to give D's & F's in California.:classic_smile:  My point is  there is a fair chance you can catch covid on a cruise, but you wouldn't know it unless you are tested.  Unfortunately, they are doing more tests, so be prepared that all you had planned may not go according to plan.:classic_sad:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

If you're right then does Ruby Princess stay orange?? 

The Ruby like most of the ships is Yellow status, which is just below red - orange is less than yellow.  To be yellow the passenger positive would be greater than .1% OR just one crew positive case. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

The Ruby like most of the ships is Yellow status, which is just below red - orange is less than yellow.  To be yellow the passenger positive would be greater than .1% OR just one crew positive case. 

The codes do not have much meaning or value at this time because covid is pretty much on every given ship.  The CDC has not found, in their investigations, any reason to force any ships to stop sailing, as in red status, even though there have been a fair number of cases.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pris993 said:

I plan to cruise on 1/31 on the Ruby, I don't expect the crew to be police.  If I don't like what is going on I will take responsibility for myself.  Just like you do when you go out in public off the ship.  LIfe goes on.

Pris993

see you onboard on the 31st.   Had a lot of friends and family ask me today if we were still going based on the news reports.  Told them it was blown way out of proportion by the media and yes we were still going unless things really worsen.

I know passengers have been vaccinated and need to be tested 48 hrs before boarding.   When I go shopping or out to eat I don’t know anything about vaccination status of people I’m around.

of course everyone needs to do what they feel is right for them.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

@deadzone1003is right!! The 12 positives in the news are all passengers (6.4%). Still less than our 21.4%

Here our positivity rate is 23% - we are planning to get on the Regal on Feb 12th.....really do feel safer on a ship than in the market...got off the Ruby on Dec 27th and felt totally safe while on that ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:
  18 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Ok by me.  We're both "fully vaccinated" and boosted and have cards to prove it.  Surprised Princess has not already required the booster part.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

They are now.

12 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Great!   Where/when did you learn this? The princess site still says boosters are recommended but not required.  

???

• Like 1