My Mom's birth certificate just says 'Baby Girl' for her first name. Is that going to be acceptable?

This is my Mom's first cruise, and it was sort of a quick decision to go.  We leave in March.  I just got her official birth certificate because I figure there's no time for a passport.  The birth certificate came today and doesn't have her first or middle name on it! It just says "Baby Girl" Jones.  I'm sort of panicking because I'm afraid this won't cut it to get her on board.  Anyone have any personal experience with this?  I know it can be amended, but I don't think it would get done in time.  Do you think with her birth certificate, license, and marriage certificate, she'll get on board?  Thanks for any help! 

6 minutes ago, ncbookworm said:

This is my Mom's first cruise, and it was sort of a quick decision to go.  We leave in March.  I just got her official birth certificate because I figure there's no time for a passport.  The birth certificate came today and doesn't have her first or middle name on it! It just says "Baby Girl" Jones.  I'm sort of panicking because I'm afraid this won't cut it to get her on board.  Anyone have any personal experience with this?  I know it can be amended, but I don't think it would get done in time.  Do you think with her birth certificate, license, and marriage certificate, she'll get on board?  Thanks for any help! 

That type of birth certificate used to be fairly common.  two members of my family have that style and I can tell you from personal experience it is worthless for identification purposes.

That could be an issue, and unless someone here has had the identical situation, I wouldn't trust any answers given here. Since you have to also have a government issued ID, I don't think it would be a problem but I'm guessing.

I'd suggest doing what it says at the bottom of this link, and call them. Insist that you be given an answer that you can show at the port if there are any questions. 

Can I Cruise With Just a Birth Certificate as a U.S. Citizen? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

• Like 1

I would not trust any answers found here. I would call Royal and get any answer you receive in writing to bring with you to the port. By the way, we got our expedited passport in 5 weeks, so I would go that route personally.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

That could be an issue, and unless someone here has had the identical situation, I wouldn't trust any answers given here. Since you have to also have a government issued ID, I don't think it would be a problem but I'm guessing.

I'd suggest doing what it says at the bottom of this link, and call them. Insist that you be given an answer that you can show at the port if there are any questions. 

Can I Cruise With Just a Birth Certificate as a U.S. Citizen? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Thanks so much for the link! I'll check it out.  Also, thanks for the suggestion of having their response in writing somehow.  I'll make sure to do that! 

8 minutes ago, crazyank said:

That type of birth certificate used to be fairly common.  two members of my family have that style and I can tell you from personal experience it is worthless for identification purposes.

Thanks for the personal experience!  I was afraid of that!

Caution - even if someone at at RCI office said it was ok, your mom may be denied at the terminal.  I have checked in passenger in Seattle.  I have never come across that type you document situation.  What would happen if I was handed a birth certificate that just said Baby Girl, I would bring it to a supervisor, who, in turn would consult with at least one other supervisor, and finally would talk with the ship's Documentation Officer who would have the final say.  It is the Documentation Officer's responsibility to make the correct call, and if he/she is wrong, it could lead to fines for the cruise lines and annoyed Customs and Border Protection Officers (and we don't want that).

Long story short - I would think twice about trying to travel with that birth certificate.  If your mom was denied boarding due to documentation issues, and you and/or other family members decided not to go as well, then the cruise line is under no obligation to refund your fare (except for taxes/port fees).  When you book your cruise you check a 'box' acknowledging you will provide the correct ID travel documents. 

I think I would skip this cruise and apply for an amended birth certificate (assuming that is possible), and get your mom a passport.

Good luck.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, ncbookworm said:

I'll look into the passport.  Maybe it would make it here.  Thanks again!

You need a birth certificate to get a passport so the name would have to be correct unless she wants to be known as Baby Girl.   Sounds like her name was never registered after her birth.

My Dad's middle name was incorrect on his BC which was never caught because it had an "A" instead of an "O" so easy to miss.  It was finally caught last year when he needed to get his DL upgraded for Real ID. He had to go back through the state of his birth and fill out a form and have something notarized and send it in and it was finally fixed, but it took weeks.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

We had a fire and all of our documents burned. Husband went to get a replacement birth certificate only to find that he actually never had one-aside from the pretty hospital one that burned. The state office we went to had experience with the doctor who delivered him and how he just never filed any paperwork-keep in mind my hubby is now 65 years old so this was a while back, lol.

He had to do some leg work and get school records and they used other official state records (marriage license-children's birth certificates) and they were able to get him an amended birth certificate.

Maybe they can do the same for your mom. Good luck!

She may have to get that birth certificate amended before she can sail, as I do not think that birth certificate will work as basis for passport either.  I found this on line:

A certified birth certificate is only acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship if it shows all of the following:

• Name: the full (including given) name of the applicant 
  • DPOB: the applicant’s date and place of birth 
  • File Date: date the certificate was filed in the registrar’s office (within one year of birth) 
  • Signature: the signature of the registrar or custodian of birth records 
  • Seal: raised, embossed, or multi-colored authorized seal of the issuing registrar’s office 
  • Parents: the full name(s) of the parent(s) of the bearer are required for all applicants, regardless of age 

1 hour ago, ncbookworm said:

Thanks so much everybody!  I'm working on the Passport and amendment now.  We may have to move it if those don't come through in time.  Peggy

Good luck!

I do have a question - how did she get a Social Security card w/o a birth certificate with her legal name?  Are you absolutely sure there isn't an amended birth certificate on file somewhere?

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

Sounds like what she has is a birth record.  You need to call the state where she was born and get an official birth certificate with a raised seal.  This should be faster than a passport. 

Edited by bigeagle12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigeagle12 said:

Sounds like what she has is a birth record.  You need to call the state where she was born and get an official birth certificate with a raised seal.  This should be faster than a passport. 

She said in her original post that she just got the "official" birth certificate.  Her birth was obviously not registered with her real name.  Not unusual to have a birth recorded with no name years ago as it wasn't required like it is now.  A lot of people were born at home.    More than likely her mom was born at home and all that was required was the birth reported.  It was up to the parents to register the official name. Parents had to go register the birth and official name and her parents obviously didn't.  My parents were both born at home in 1937.  Fortunately, their Dr's registered their births with their names, but that wasn't always done.

Edited by BND

That birth certificate won't work for a passport. My boyfriend had a BC that didn't have his parents names on it and it was not acceptable. We went online for the state he was born in and ordered a new one. It made use fill out all the correct names and we were able to get it expedited.

• Like 1

Took my parents on a cruise in 2010 and ordered birth certificates that both had different names and spelling from what they had on drivers license. Had to submit several bills and drivers license copies to get proper birth certificates and then order passports. It was a 6 month process. Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I’m curious about how she got a SS card with her name? Is this from the county clerks office?  I would do a Google search of how to fix this on the BC if so. 

I know it sounds crazy today, but one did not have to produce a birth certificate to get a social security card many years ago.