Gem January 9-19 cruise canceled

cresx

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

From the NCL website, this has been updated almost daily this week

1675768954_Screenshot2022-01-14083214.png.78dc408714a5381da129ac6216c8ced6.png

But what is missing is the reason why.  If it is "ongoing travel restrictions"  then why have they cancelled some sailings in the Caribbean and not others?  Do we really think they can predict travel restrictions out to late April?  I think that intro was added when they issued the first set of cancellations.  Since then they've continued to update the list - kudos to them for that - but they haven't updated the intro.  "A select number"?  They have 17 ships, they have listed significant cancellations for 12 of them.

11 minutes ago, jlseymour3 said:

But what is missing is the reason why.  If it is "ongoing travel restrictions"  then why have they cancelled some sailings in the Caribbean and not others?  Do we really think they can predict travel restrictions out to late April?  I think that intro was added when they issued the first set of cancellations.  Since then they've continued to update the list - kudos to them for that - but they haven't updated the intro.  "A select number"?  They have 17 ships, they have listed significant cancellations for 12 of them.

Agreed, and most estimates would say that the Omicron wave should have blown over before March-April, so I doubt they would cancel so far out based on that.  So I think that low bookings must figure pretty heavily in this.  Which of course is not something that they are likely to publicize more than necessary.  I believe they report quarterly results again in February so I would expect this to come up on the investor call.

2 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I wish they would just cancel all their sailings for the next couple weeks.  We're supposed to be on the Epic on Sunday and to fly all the way to San Juan just to arrive and be told it's canceled last minute would be awful.

that seems only fair thing to do at this point. Basically cruises right now are cruises to nowhere and as such should be sold that way. Anyone sailing now knows in advance what will happen. Not the exception anymore it is the norm.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Discussed here...

Yes, I wonder if this is how is how RCI or RCCL continues to operate many of its sailings. 

The other line which is quiet is Princess.  The Grand Princess even just left Hawaii on her return trip to California.  

38 minutes ago, jlseymour3 said:

The “ongoing travel restrictions” reasoning only makes partial sense. Why would they cancel the Joy with a Mexico/Belize/Honduras itinerary that wasn’t missing ports, but still sail the Encore with the Eastern itinerary that is?

I just wish they’d be honest about it and give us enough notice to do something else instead. My thoughts are purely speculation, but I think low bookings and cheaper fares on some of these cruises are to blame along with staffing issues while omicron runs through the crew. Port restrictions are a convenient excuse. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, vacruizer said:

The “ongoing travel restrictions” reasoning only makes partial sense. Why would they cancel the Joy with a Mexico/Belize/Honduras itinerary that wasn’t missing ports, but still sail the Encore with the Eastern itinerary that is?

I just wish they’d be honest about it and give us enough notice to do something else instead. My thoughts are purely speculation, but I think low bookings and cheaper fares on some of these cruises are to blame along with staffing issues while omicron runs through the crew. Port restrictions are a convenient excuse. 

I think port restrictions are part of the equation - Crew COVID cases=port restrictions=more cancellations/lower new bookings.

9 minutes ago, vacruizer said:

It could well be cancelling sailings that are not booked to the capacity that they want.  Also it is getting very expensive refunding partial cruises. for all the covid passengers.. They need to make a profit and right now that is not easy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

that seems only fair thing to do at this point. Basically cruises right now are cruises to nowhere and as such should be sold that way. Anyone sailing now knows in advance what will happen. Not the exception anymore it is the norm.

That is clearly untrue. While a handful of ships have been denied entry to certain ports, most are sailing and docking. I am scheduled to go to the ABCs on Celebrity Equinox next Friday, so I have been monitoring the ports at Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Every single day since I started watching (late last week), every ship that was scheduled to dock in those ports has done so. Including the NCL Epic a couple of days ago.

• Like 6

This whole thing seems really bizarre.  It seems that the Gem will be back in NYC on the 18th.  That's just one day before they were scheduled to arrive.  So, the cruise is cut short by one day and they only made it to one of their ports.  

In that case I don't understand why they sent notices that the rest of the cruise was being cancelled.  It appears that the passengers are getting almost a full cruise but with missed ports.

While it's great for the passengers that they are getting basically a full cruise and a full refund for the cruise plus a 50% FCC, I don't understand why they just didn't "finish" the cruise, or end a day early and give a refund for the port charges and one missed day.

From the reports onboard it seems that everything is open and the cruise is continuing as normal with possibly some entertainment cancellations.

It just seems a bit weird unless there are other issues going on onboard.

11 minutes ago, goldmom said:

This whole thing seems really bizarre.  It seems that the Gem will be back in NYC on the 18th.  That's just one day before they were scheduled to arrive.  So, the cruise is cut short by one day and they only made it to one of their ports.  

In that case I don't understand why they sent notices that the rest of the cruise was being cancelled.  It appears that the passengers are getting almost a full cruise but with missed ports.

While it's great for the passengers that they are getting basically a full cruise and a full refund for the cruise plus a 50% FCC, I don't understand why they just didn't "finish" the cruise, or end a day early and give a refund for the port charges and one missed day.

From the reports onboard it seems that everything is open and the cruise is continuing as normal with possibly some entertainment cancellations.

Just wanted to mentioned that someone posted a cruise ship tracker on the Gem roll call page showing that the Gem was due to arrive in NYC on the 18th.  I suppose it's possible that the page hasn't been updated yet and that the Gem may be arriving earlier.  If that actually is the case, then it makes more sense to "cancel" the remainder of the cruise.

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Can confirm: from a passenger perspective things appear to be just fine.  It could be crew-related, but no announcements have been made.  They are leaving St. Martin this evening and 4 days to sail back to NYC.  Odd.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruising to Retirement said:

Cruise Mapper now indicating that the Gem will arrive at NYC on 1/19 at 800am ?  It has not left St. Maarten as of yet... 

Left a few minutes ago -- was scheduled to leave at 6pm local time.  It was always going to take 4 days for the ship to get back to NYC.  They could make it in less than 3 at full speed but there's no real reason for them to do that I guess.

• Like 1

Bring the ship early - as when we're onboard the Escape on a 14 nighters in Jan 2019 with norovirus outbreak - with Omni surge, gives the ship management time to do a deep cleaning, wipe down & test all the crew members onboard, etc. per US-CDC guidance & US Public Health Services and even the USCG (Coast Guard) that could come onboard for special inspections.  Not something that you can easily do on a busy & ordinary port turnaround day.  Of course, with subsequent cruise(s) being cancelled or pushed back further, there is plenty of time to do so.  On the clinical preventive side, perhaps, maybe ... it's time for booster shots for all the crew members.  By standing down and keeping the ship "sterile" with almost no chance of someone asymptomatic unknowingly bring the invisible devil onboard - establish the framework for an even safer return to cruise next month or March ... April, whatever & whenever NCL deemed they can safely manage cruises with passengers boarding again.  

2 hours ago, Snowrose said:

A long, slow cruise alongside a growing snowstorm isn't my idea of fun. Last time I did that the ride was only slightly better than the time we rode through Hurricane Sandy.

Boy I this 4 days cruising North in Jan. Feb. does not sound like fun.  My idea of a cruise vacation is sun and ports. I guess some must enjoy this.

10 hours ago, floridafish said:

How anyone can move ahead with plans to cruise or book a cruise at the present time is beyond me. 

That's nice.

We're all-in for our next couple of cruises. If they get cancelled, so be it. We are more than willing to roll with the changes. We are not as inflexible as others. We have no expectations other than getting on a ship and having a good time. If the ship actually stops somewhere, bonus! 

We completed 3 cruises last year and have 4 more booked this year, so far. We are moving ahead with our plans to cruise and are booking cruises with full knowledge that there is a continuing pandemic. We've been on a dozen land-based vacations during the pandemic. We're boosted and wear N95 masks any time we are near others (on land and at sea; inside or outside). Ready for a 4th shot (2nd booster) if offered. 

We have mitigated risk as much as possible. We're "older" and the time that we are still mobile enough to enjoy cruising will come to an end someday [soon]. Life is too short to make a fuss over missing St. Thomas or Nassau (which we have visited dozens of times). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That is clearly untrue. While a handful of ships have been denied entry to certain ports, most are sailing and docking. I am scheduled to go to the ABCs on Celebrity Equinox next Friday, so I have been monitoring the ports at Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Every single day since I started watching (late last week), every ship that was scheduled to dock in those ports has done so. Including the NCL Epic a couple of days ago.

Have a wonderful cruise, Jamie! I see you're enjoying the better life on Celebrity again. Have a great time. 

Our next cruise is on the Escape out of Port Canaveral. We've been watching the next few Escape cruises being cancelled. We're hoping for the best, but will just move on to our next cruise on the Quantum of the Seas to Alaska should the Escape cancel on us. We're really hoping things get better by the end of the year when we have a cruise on the Prima scheduled once she comes to the US. 

Some facts and lots of conjecture in these posts.  We all want to know more.  Well, the Encore and Epic weren't held back with the other ships and are on their course now back to Miami and San Juan respectively.  They are both scheduled to embark again on Jan 16th.  It will be interesting to observe if they resume normally and if not why?  And will the Gem, which is returning earlier to N.Y. currently depart again on its normal schedule on Jan 19th?  Probably not. But then what does a whale know?

Our Jan 29th Dawn sailing should be able to launch as planned as it has been one of the cancelled cruises since Jan 11th.  That leaves plenty of time to sanitize unless port closures are part of the equation also.  Of course, as mentioned, staffing can be an issue on many of these ships as can low bookings.  We will be putting more pieces of the puzzle together all the time. 

I wouldn't be surprised if training isn't holding up some of these cruises, especially Pride of America.  I thought they were required by law to have an American crew.  Between required vaccinations and infections and the like they could use more staff-can't most businesses?  Maybe that's why they are held up until the end of Feb.  Interestingly, they appear to be in Vancouver according to cruise mapper.   

I’m on the gem and we will be arriving back to NYC on the 19th of Jan.

There is no outbreak on board and I’ve been having a great time.

The destinations are worried and have closed their ports to cruise ships.

safe travels,

wyb

• Like 8

I really don't understand some of these comments about "sailing north into the snow". 

The cruise was originally going to be 10 days.  Grand Turk (cancelled) Wednesday, St. Thomas (cancelled, replaced with St. Martin) Thursday, St. Martin Friday, Tortola (cancelled) Saturday and DR (cancelled) Sunday. 

The ship cannot possibly make it back to NYC overnight -- it was always going to take 2.5-3 days at best speed to get home, so there were always going to be a few days at sea at the end going north and getting colder.  There are also plenty of cruises that are cold weather (and yes, of course the people on board would be prepared for that vs. having warm weather clothes for the Caribbean). 

So initially, when they announced that they'd be skipping Tortola and DR and heading back early, they could have left Thursday evening and gotten to NYC Sunday.  They stayed an extra day in St. Martin, so they could have left Friday evening and arrived in NYC Monday morning. 

So they announced they'd be getting back as expected, Wednesday.  There would be a few options then: they could mosey around the Caribbean for two days and then head north (sounds nice), or they could head north as fast as possible and mosey around NYC (sounds silly), or they could just mosey home for four days (could be a reasonable option). 

I think it's worth giving the benefit of the doubt that if they're going to take extra time to get back, they're going to try to give the passengers as good a time as they can.  They are a hospitality company after all.  Consider that the northeast is expecting a fairly serious storm -- cold, wind and snow -- Sunday into Monday.  I'm sure the captain knows that and decided it would be better to avoid the storm, which is probably why they didn't just head straight back after St. Martin.

And, it turns out, that's exactly what happened -- the captain has announced that they'll be getting back on Wednesday as expected, *and* that they will be staying in the Caribbean heading east towards the Bahamas and then heading north to try to come in behind the storm instead of sailing through it.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and speculate about ways that we "Internet experts" would do things differently.  Despite the missteps and management faux pas that come along with running a large and complex company, the staff on board these ships, especially the senior staff, are professionals with a lot of knowledge and experience about how to run a ship.  When we travel, we put a lot of trust in the captains, engineers, pilots, etc to do a good job and keep us safe.  Why stop now?

• Like 13

16 hours ago, CruisingComumbus said:

Left a few minutes ago -- was scheduled to leave at 6pm local time.  It was always going to take 4 days for the ship to get back to NYC.  They could make it in less than 3 at full speed but there's no real reason for them to do that I guess.

I'm quoting myself but I want to correct something I said: it was originally going to be Sunday night into Wednesday morning to get home -- so just about 3 days, not 4. 

[edit: whoops, I posted the same thing again thinking this was a different thread, so I'm editing the rest out.  🙂 ]

Edited by CruisingComumbus