Hotel recommendations for sailing out of Seattle

dgoz

Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in Seattle the night before a cruise? We might want to visit Pike Place Market but don't necessarily need to stay close to it. Anyone stay somewhere great with free or affordable cruise terminal shuttle? Or just somewhere awesome for first timers to Seattle?

While my favorite Seattle hotel is actually the Cedarbrook Lodge (which is near SEATAC but is NOT a typical airport hotel in any form) we stayed at the Marriott Waterfront for the first time both pre and post cruise last September.  

While Celebrity generally uses Pier 92 (Smith Cove) last summer they used Pier 66 (Bell Street) for most of the Alaska cruises.  The Marriott is essentially across the street from Pier 66.  Our favorite Seattle seafood restaurant is Anthony's at Pier 66.  There is a public elevator beside the Marriott which takes folks to a point about a block from Pike Place Market; we love to dine at Lowells at the market.  Also very convenient to the Seattle Art Museum as we had tickets to a special exhibit.  Also convenient to the Seattle Aquarium, the Seattle ferries and Miners Landing.  Since we went out of Pier 66 we just walked across the street but there was a shuttle to Pier 92; I doubt it was complimentary.  

Parts of downtown Seattle have become "interesting."  We also love the Mayflower Park hotel, which is several blocks from Pier 66 but I doubt we would stay there now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

While Celebrity generally uses Pier 92 (Smith Cove) l

Slight correction….it’s Pier 91

OP…..if you check the Westcoast Departure board, there is a lot of info on Seattle Hotels. Downtown will be expensive. Around the Space Needle, a little less, and out by the airport, even less. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

We should follow each other around, Northern Aurora!  I would recommend the Marriott also Anthony's.  When we sailed from Seattle it was from Pier 91, so we needed help from Uber.

Lots of good ideas here.  Chihuly is worth a trip too.  if you make it to Pike Place Market, I hope they are throwing the fish as they sometimes do.  it is fun to watch.  Seattle is a lovely city, and I hope you build in some time to enjoy it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dgoz said:

Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in Seattle the night before a cruise? We might want to visit Pike Place Market but don't necessarily need to stay close to it. Anyone stay somewhere great with free or affordable cruise terminal shuttle? Or just somewhere awesome for first timers to Seattle?

We stayed at The Sound Hotel in August 2021 when we sailed on Millennium.  It was beautiful with excellent, friendly staff.  It is one of the Curio collection Hilton Hotel.  There is a patio area on the seventh floor which has a beautiful view of Seattle and the Space Needle.  There are fire pit tables.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

We should follow each other around, Northern Aurora!  I would recommend the Marriott also Anthony's. 

Ohhh -- I love Anthonys, and was absolutely furious when the Anthony's lease at SEATAC lease wasn't renewed.   Wonder what happened.  

We are on the Eclipse B2B Vancouver to Honolulu and back this spring.  Quite frankly I haven't followed much of the roll call for that B2B pairing (just posted once), but if my memory is correct you may be on one of those cruises too.

And for those recommending some of the downtown Seattle hotels, while folks have their options, quite frankly downtown Seattle is indeed becoming somewhat "interesting."  And this is from someone who hasn't traveled extensively in third world countries but has spend a fair amount of time in "2.5 world countries."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dgoz said:

Our first time in Seattle we stayed at the Marriott (already mentioned) across from Pier 66.  Nice rooms but a bit small.  Great location IMO for a first timer, very close to Pikes Market and the downtown area.

No shuttles, so we took a special priced limo from the airport and a taxi to the pier (not very expensive as I recall).

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ihibernate2 said:

We are sailing in May. Looking at Edgewater hotel. Anyone have any experience there?

The Edgewater is a wonderful waterfront hotel with a nice restaurant in Six Seven. It’s next to Pier 66 so very handy for those departing from there. I like it more than the Marriott across the street. The only downside is that the rooms on the street/city side do get some train noise. Waterfront rooms are preferred.

Both the Edgewater and Marriott are not in the best location other than for waterfront activities. Most venues/restaurants are up the hill which can be a bit inconvenient. If prices don’t shock you too much, downtown core hotels are much better positioned for exploring.   We’re just a few blocks from the Edgewater and an Uber from there to Pier 91 last August was $16+.

Another option near the Seattle Center/Space Needle is the Mediterranean Inn.  It’s across the street from a full service grocery store and in a neighborhood with many restaurants nearby. It’s also a short monorail ride into downtown from the Center.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Ohhh -- I love Anthonys, and was absolutely furious when the Anthony's lease at SEATAC lease wasn't renewed.   Wonder what happened.  

Yes, we are very disappointed that Anthony's is gone from SeaTac. We would get to the airport early just for Anthony's.

I also like the Marriott near Anthony's on the waterfront across from pier 66.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Both the Edgewater and Marriott are not in the best location other than for waterfront activities. Most venues/restaurants are up the hill which can be a bit inconvenient.

A walk down the waterfront brings one to good restaurants and attractions.  I recall at least one elevator from the waterfront area that takes one to the street level where the Market is located.

18 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We should follow each other around, Northern Aurora!  I would recommend the Marriott also Anthony's.  When we sailed from Seattle it was from Pier 91, so we needed help from Uber.

Lots of good ideas here.  Chihuly is worth a trip too.  if you make it to Pike Place Market, I hope they are throwing the fish as they sometimes do.  it is fun to watch.  Seattle is a lovely city, and I hope you build in some time to enjoy it.

100% agree with your past.  If one has not seen a Chihuly exhibit, this may be a "wow" type of visit for a newbie.  

17 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Ohhh -- I love Anthonys

I do as well!  Even though I live in Ohio, I am on their e-mail list and enjoy reading about their specials and view the images of their menu items. 

19 hours ago, TeaBag said:

My favorite time for visiting Chihuly Garden and Glass is late afternoon. The outside garden is nice at dusk. Also the Olympic Sculpture Park near pier 70 is a nice walk during the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

A walk down the waterfront brings one to good restaurants and attractions.  I recall at least one elevator from the waterfront area that takes one to the street level where the Market is located.

Yes, there are several elevators that can take you up the hill. The one next to the Marriott hasn’t been in service for 2 years in a 2-3 year construction project. Hopefully this season it will reopen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dgoz said:

Are there parts of Seattle that are getting more dangerous?

Not really. The statistics will spike for 2020 because of incidents related to the protests, riots and CHOP,  but in general, Downtown Seattle is still very safe relative to other major cities.

22 hours ago, dgoz said:

I read Belltown might be a place to avoid at night so maybe I would not get a hotel there.

Belltown is fine. I've stayed at The Sound Hotel (a Hilton) several times on business and it is terrific. Belltown has some of the city's most expensive condo and apartment towers and then some of the city's best restaurants. I've walked back to The Sound (on 4th Ave & Blanchard) at 11PM from various restaurants and never felt unsafe.

That said, my favorite hotels in Seattle (understanding I am usually on business trips, not cruise trips) are Hyatt at Olive 8, Kimpton Palladin, Kimpton Vintage Court, and the Fairmont Olympic.

For a cruise I might lean to the Edgewater and Marriott Waterfront.

I would never ever stay by the airport unless I had to.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:33 PM, kwokpot said:

We stayed at the Hyatt House Seattle Downtown. It was near the Space Needle which is a must see along with the Chohuly Glass Museum. 

I'm considering staying here and doing the glass museum on the night we fly in and then walking to Pike Place Market in the morning of our cruise for that early access food tour. Did you eat at any good restaurants in that space needle area?