New Federal Covid test available January 19

seychelle

I'm sure it won't be the proctored kind.  I think the federal government is making these home tests available for free to let everyone get home tests.  

However, it sounds like most health insurance plans will reimburse up to $12 per home test.  So I believe we can order the Emed tests and then get reimbursed by our insurance companies $12 per test.  That will lower our final out of pocket cost for those tests.

Edited by D4
  • Like 1

I have a bad feeling that the government website will be overwhelmed, and they will be just as unavailable as the vaccines were early on. We anticipate better luck with our health care provider that will have them available at no cost, eventually. :classic_unsure::classic_smile: But no. They won't be proctored, just the $12 off. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, seychelle said:

Has anyone heard if this test people can request starting January 19 will be a proctored test and accepted by cruise lines/airlines?

No.  These are for you to know if you have it or not.  To help decide what you should do like go to work or school.

Testing is free in your local community that will be accepted by cruise lines.  Domestically the airlines do not require a test.  If you fly international, there are different requirements for each country.  To fly back into the USA lookup emed telehealth tests to take on the way back to the USA.  It requires a smartphone or computer AND an internet connection.

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

I have a bad feeling that the government website will be overwhelmed, and they will be just as unavailable as the vaccines were early on. We anticipate better luck with our health care provider that will have them available at no cost, eventually. :classic_unsure::classic_smile: But no. They won't be proctored, just the $12 off. 

Agreed. The emed tests are $25 each (pack of 6), so that will bring it down to $13. I am unsure if the insurance will cover the entire 6-pack though.

8 minutes ago, exm said:

Agreed. The emed tests are $25 each (pack of 6), so that will bring it down to $13. I am unsure if the insurance will cover the entire 6-pack though.

It’s up to $12 if you go out of network but for in network some insurances offer them at no cost.

Let's try this again.   My original post was removed for who knows what reason, although I think I know why.  Anyway, these are simply basic home tests for personal use.  They've already said they'll take a week to receive so not very efficient.  I do think 8/month per household is overkill.  The vast majority of people won't use that many in a month, much less every month.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, exm said:

Has anyone tried to submit a claim through their insurance for the proctored eMed tests?  When I ordered mine I received all the info from them to submit a claim for them but haven't tried it yet.  I do believe since they are proctored they may be covered under insurance just like the current tests are that you would get in a clinic. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

Let's try this again.   My original post was removed for who knows what reason, although I think I know why.  Anyway, these are simply basic home tests for personal use.  They've already said they'll take a week to receive so not very efficient.  I do think 8/month per household is overkill.  The vast majority of people won't use that many in a month, much less every month.  

I think that is the allowable maximum. It might be reasonable for a family testing to remain in school and at work.

It does not mean every household will be ordering that many each month.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, piedpiper99 said:

No.  These are for you to know if you have it or not.  To help decide what you should do like go to work or school.

Testing is free in your local community that will be accepted by cruise lines.  Domestically the airlines do not require a test.  If you fly international, there are different requirements for each country.  To fly back into the USA lookup emed telehealth tests to take on the way back to the USA.  It requires a smartphone or computer AND an internet connection.

No free testing for travel/cruising in my community of So Cal. 

1 hour ago, nessachelle said:

Has anyone tried to submit a claim through their insurance for the proctored eMed tests?  When I ordered mine I received all the info from them to submit a claim for them but haven't tried it yet.  I do believe since they are proctored they may be covered under insurance just like the current tests are that you would get in a clinic. 

Our Medicare HMO plan....SCAN.....offers no reimbursement......I've asked more than once too.

1 hour ago, nessachelle said:

Has anyone tried to submit a claim through their insurance for the proctored eMed tests?  When I ordered mine I received all the info from them to submit a claim for them but haven't tried it yet….

Yes. Multiple posters on the HAL board report their insurance covered testing pre-cruise (some including shipping) even before January 15.

47 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Yes. Multiple posters on the HAL board report their insurance covered testing pre-cruise (some including shipping) even before January 15.

Thanks for that info. I assumed it might cover it but wasn't sure. Looks like I need to get a claim started and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I think that is the allowable maximum. It might be reasonable for a family testing to remain in school and at work.

It does not mean every household will be ordering that many each month.

I know what it means but that still is a lot of tests (and a lot of our tax money) and the vast majority will never use 8 in a month.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nessachelle said:

yes and yes we were reimbursed.

2 hours ago, BND said:

mine was removed as well.  Probably offended someone as usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

mine was removed as well.  Probably offended someone as usual.

53 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Mine was too.  

43 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm proud to be part of this exclusive club.

It looks as though I lost a leg dancing in the minefields as well.  

• Like 4