Changes on Jan 19 Hawaii Cruise on Grand

smbt1

There seem to be some significant changes between the Jan 4 and Jan 19 cruises to Hawaii.

There has been some discussion concerning the testing on the pier for all passengers for the Hawaiian cruises.

Some other changes are distancing enforced in venues. Every other row in theater blocked off. In Explorers about half of the seating marked not to be used.

Have not seen Vista yet but I expect the same there.

CD announced no Zumba, line dancing, or ball room dancing classes.

Masking is sip and cover in lounges.

While I have seen active enforcement for the seating restrictions in the theater, have not seen it for masking. Though there have been announcements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

When I was on for the New Years cruise on the Grand, someone walked around telling people to put their masks on. I told the guy you need to tell them to cover their noses. A row in back of us, the older ladies all had their noses peaking out. We left the theatre because there was a definite lack of compliance. They come in with drinks and just leave the masks off.

I tested positive for Covid on Monday and missed the current Hawaii cruise.We are so careful and are always masked with KN95. May have gotten it on the ship but we will never know.Don't know if this is the beginning or the end of my infection.I am isolating right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

When I was on for the New Years cruise on the Grand, someone walked around telling people to put their masks on. I told the guy you need to tell them to cover their noses. A row in back of us, the older ladies all had their noses peaking out. We left the theatre because there was a definite lack of compliance. They come in with drinks and just leave the masks off.

I tested positive for Covid on Monday and missed the current Hawaii cruise.We are so careful and are always masked with KN95. May have gotten it on the ship but we will never know.Don't know if this is the beginning or the end of my infection.I am isolating right now.

So sorry you got it.  If people don’t want to follow the rules, then don’t cruise now.

I hope you get well soon!

Take care

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I was on the same cruise - very little social distancing. We were in the Explores lounge in the front row & 3 people squeezed in to a seat for 2 right next to us with no mask. Were yelling out answers. I got sick the morning of debarkation. Tested negative the next day but symptoms were very omicron. 

22 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I'm sorry you got covid, and I hope you recover fully and soon.

Honestly, those fools running around with the masks below their noses annoy me more than the ones without masks completely.

• Like 9

You cannot order from the bars directly. The bars all have closed signs, including the international cafe. You have to order from wait staff or use app.

I must admit not what I expected  after following the last cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was really surprised on the New Years cruise on the Grand, that the bars had stools and were crowded with people all unmasked . Crooners was so crowded from mid afternoon till the wee hours.When we were on the Majestic in Oct-Nov, they had removed all bar stools at all bars. You ordered your drink and walked away with it.We would leave our masks on until we found an isolated area to sit and  then we drank our drink.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I was really surprised on the New Years cruise on the Grand, that the bars had stools and were crowded with people all unmasked . Crooners was so crowded from mid afternoon till the wee hours.When we were on the Majestic in Oct-Nov, they had removed all bar stools at all bars. You ordered your drink and walked away with it.We would leave our masks on until we found an isolated area to sit and  then we drank our drink.

Sorry to here this Gloria.  I have followed every rule, mandate or whatever since March 2020 for land and cruising and can't believe people on cruise ships are disregarding protocols that have been clearly stated before they cruise.  We even had masking changes on the second half of our b2b on the Enchanted Princess and people still wouldn't comply.  There were not a lot of these people thank goodness.  You would think after hearing about NCL and RCL outbreaks, that cruisers on Princess would be glad to have the tougher protocols.  Now it looks like Princess is having some problems too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

funny thing is that they do not want people in some of the venues  such as vista unless there is something scheduled in there. So it is causing more crowding in the piazza area. No distancing in the seating there.

2 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Sorry to here this Gloria.  I have followed every rule, mandate or whatever since March 2020 for land and cruising and can't believe people on cruise ships are disregarding protocols that have been clearly stated before they cruise.  We even had masking changes on the second half of our b2b on the Enchanted Princess and people still wouldn't comply.  There were not a lot of these people thank goodness.  You would think after hearing about NCL and RCL outbreaks, that cruisers on Princess would be glad to have the tougher protocols.  Now it looks like Princess is having some problems too.

We had the same experience on the Majestic New Years cruise......most passengers complied, which was reassuring,  but there were a number of cruisers who seemed to delight in flaunting the protocols.   If nothing else you would think they would have a little respect for the crews who cannot escape the environment but need the money.  

Just a matter of time before Princess Plague Boats make the news again.......

• Like 1

@san diego sueThank you for your analysis and so sorry you missed this voyage to Hawaii.  It seems as though Princess has done a 180 turn around from previous cruises (me:  October 2021).  More passengers choosing to disregard policies = more restrictions for everyone.  I hope Princess and passengers will find a balance.  Doesn't sound like much fun onboard this Jan 19th cruise.

In regards to your rebooking.  Princess only offers move over bookings when they cancel a cruise.  They "should" honor passengers who were denied boarding due to positive COVID results.  

Princess is all over the page right now.  Hopefully things will settle down in the next few months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smbt1 said:

funny thing is that they do not want people in some of the venues  such as vista unless there is something scheduled in there. So it is causing more crowding in the piazza area. No distancing in the seating there.

On the January 4 cruise they closed the Vista Lounge and the theater after events to sanitize the area.    
The cruise staff also had an issue with staff being in isolation for a portion of the cruise which cut available staff to 3.

The singers, dancers and show band members were starting to come out of isolation towards the end of the cruise.   
The Bar staff and servers on Deck 5 were not fully staffed.  Pre-Covid there were 75 crew assigned to the area, currently at 25 according to one of the servers.   
Times are different with the ship starting to recouperate after the New Years Eve congestion.  

• Like 1

The DiVinci dining room seemed to be a bit over whelmed last night. Many without reservations so long lines on the non reservation side when we left at about 6:30. Some even waiting on reservation side.

Edited by smbt1

8 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Gloria, hope you have a speedy recovery.

9 minutes ago, vikkiw said:

Can anyone speak to the enforcement of masks, etc on this cruise?

mask compliance is pretty good. Pretty much everyone wears them properly moving around inside. Maybe 10 percent not wearing them correctly without a drink.

With a drink while seated most leave them off instead of sip and cover.

Plenty of announcements in venues, little or no comments to individuals. At least none observed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khaleesi921 said:

Can anyone update us on the laundromat situation for this voyage? I know the Jan 4th sailing they allowed you in and even provided the tokens for free, but I'm curious if they changed that too for this voyage. TIA 

Will check next time I head back to my room. There is one in the area.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smbt1 said:

mask compliance is pretty good. Pretty much everyone wears them properly moving around inside. Maybe 10 percent not wearing them correctly without a drink.

With a drink while seated most leave them off instead of sip and cover.

Plenty of announcements in venues, little or no comments to individuals. At least none observed.

Agree.  The few that disregard the policy for masking are also quite confrontational.  We’ve decided we’re not going to just take it, and have told a few that commented to us that we were silly sheep, that perhaps they should respect the rules,  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, smbt1 said:

The DiVinci dining room seemed to be a bit over whelmed last night. Many without reservations so long lines on the non reservation side when we left at about 6:30. Some even waiting on reservation side.

Doing room was far more efficient on day 2. Fewer without reservations. No long lines.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I was on the same cruise - very little social distancing. We were in the Explores lounge in the front row & 3 people squeezed in to a seat for 2 right next to us with no mask. Were yelling out answers. I got sick the morning of debarkation. Tested negative the next day but symptoms were very omicron. 

I was on that one too. I won the yes no game.