Live from Seashore Feb 5-12 (2022)

TrinaLC

I can understand senior officers in a bubble but surely they can send out assistants?  I think it would be good training for them!  

And the MaitreD’ in the YC barely leaves his stand.   Never have met him once even though we’ve eaten every dinner in the YC. 

The one time to date on this cruise when he was doing the live cooking that the YC MD’s routinely do (fresh pasta etc) he never left his corner.  Our wonderful waiter mentioned fresh crepes but you never would have known it was the customary YC M’D show. 

Surely you are joking - if MSC & other companies are smart enough to take cautionary measures to decrease the ongoing spread of covid - why question it???

If officers are not around why should the assistants be (only in case of emergency of course)???

YC or not you are on a large ship w thousands of people...this isn't The Ritz in Paris.

I was on MSC pre covid on a 13 day cruise & only saw officers on "Captains Nite" The ship was very clean, well run & efficient.  as far as the Maitre'ds with the hundreds of passengers in each seating they did their job well & any requestions or requests I had were immediately answered or fulfilled(including getting me banans for my breakfast).

Asd far as the pizza is concerned all you had to do is ask for a thicker crust - I always asked for a fresh pizza - it was hot & just the way I like it(I'm a New York City Man)!!!

Hi, I'm also on this cruise (in steerage) and agree that it's a great experience. The staff are amazing and the food is definitely better than on my previous MSC cruises. The ship is very clean with constant cleaning. Mask compliance is enforced, although last night a couple came into the theater after the lights were down and sat down in the no sit seats and took off their masks to sip cokes. They decided to leave after a staff member spoke to them.

I feel fortunate to be able to cruise at this time and feel very safe

• Like 3

Marmalade is awesome!  We haven’t done the shows. The Moulin Rouge space looks awesome.   

We’ve just been out and about like crazy and ready for a quiet gin rummy  card game after dinner (you’ve seen us do that!)   I’m ahead but Mark refuses to concede 🙂

Edited by TrinaLC
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Hi, I'm also on this cruise (in steerage) and agree that it's a great experience. The staff are amazing and the food is definitely better than on my previous MSC cruises. The ship is very clean with constant cleaning. Mask compliance is enforced, although last night a couple came into the theater after the lights were down and sat down in the no sit seats and took off their masks to sip cokes. They decided to leave after a staff member spoke to them.

I feel fortunate to be able to cruise at this time and feel very safe

Good to see that enforced and that you share how great the staff have been.  I’ve read some other lines are starting to let their crew go on shore, as well as dropping mask mandates! That will certainly be great for the crew.  It’s a pleasure to hear from someone else on this cruise! It really has been lovely 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, Cruiser Bruiser said:

I was in YC on Meraviglia in January and there was a charge for minibar items aside for the first item on a short list that was told to be and I immediately ignored as I didn't want to risk a minibar charge. So, I would expect replenished items to come with a charge if you consume them.

I was also in the YC on the same cruise with Cruiser Bruiser.  This is the letter we received related to the minibar.

IMG_2427.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GA Dave said:

I was also in the YC on the same cruise with Cruiser Bruiser.  This is the letter we received related to the minibar.

IMG_2427.JPG

So...kind of confused by this. Does this mean the snacks, etc in there are free but you are charged if you want more, or you are charged for the ones in there initially?

And soda/beer/water is free always?

LOL, gotta love MSC to make things complicated...

Just now, alyssamma said:

So...kind of confused by this. Does this mean the snacks, etc in there are free but you are charged if you want more, or you are charged for the ones in there initially?

I can tell you I opened the container of mixed nuts and ate some before I saw this letter.  I figured I had already paid for it so finished it and left the empty container there. Neither the Butler nor the Junior Butler replaced it and I was not billed for the one I ate.  They did ask my son what type of beer her preferred and kept him very well stocked with several special beers, all at no charge.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alyssamma said:

We sailed two ships in September in US.  Mera was old way with little bottles of booze and everything replaced.  Divina was the letter above.  One big bottle of booze.  Some things like Twix bar and pringles, one free, refills were like $6.95.  Beer and water refilled.

• Like 1

@Sea Viewer Thanks for adding your comments.  It seems like every person who posts on this board sails in Yacht Club.  As someone who typically sails in the cheapest interior cabin I can book (but I "splurged" for a Fantastica balcony for my upcoming Seashore thanks to an FCC to apply), it's nice to read something from someone who is not in Yacht Club.

I'd very much like to read some reviews from non-Yacht Club folks to read about what the rest of us may experience in the MDR and elsewhere.  And how the service is in cabins for those of us who have to do our own unpacking. 😉

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

@Sea Viewer Thanks for adding your comments.  It seems like every person who posts on this board sails in Yacht Club.  As someone who typically sails in the cheapest interior cabin I can book (but I "splurged" for a Fantastica balcony for my upcoming Seashore thanks to an FCC to apply), it's nice to read something from someone who is not in Yacht Club.

I'd very much like to read some reviews from non-Yacht Club folks to read about what the rest of us may experience in the MDR and elsewhere.  And how the service is in cabins for those of us who have to do our own unpacking. 😉

I have traveled in everything from inside to a penthouse (compliments of my dear son-in-law.) I could have held a dance party on my huge balcony. The Yacht Club and NCL Haven experience are lost on me. I wondered what we should ask of our butler? Unpack my suitcase?  No way. I am a person very content and appreciative of the privilege of travel. To be honest, I cruise for the shore experience and only like the Caribbean for the warm retreat from the cold midwest.  I also am thrilled to not have to cook or clean. Insides are just fine since I am let our of my cabin when I want (except if I or my DH gets COVID.) It isn't a prison ship. 

I've traveled MSC on several cruises. The service is just fine. I want a nicely cleaned room and pleasant dining. MSC has always delivered. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 4:47 PM, TrinaLC said:

Happy to answer any questions! Observations, not necessarily in any particular order 🙂

Hope you are having a good second stop in Ocean Cay.  Chris wanted me to ask if you happened to stop by the Wine Cellar near the specialty restaurants on Deck 8.  It seemed like they had some wines on their list that weren't available elsewhere on the ship.  We are both curious about it since it is a new feature from the Seaside.

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Service has been great on this cruise, especially as the numbers are so low. The MDR has essentially been open seating between 6 and 9 which is great. We have had the same table and waitstaff each night. Not sure if this is because of the low passenger count as it's different from other MSC ships I've sailed which have had assigned times.

Out cabin steward is very efficient, even folds the clothes my husband leaves on the couch!! Fresh beach towels every night. I've always been impressed with MSC cabin service, everything is kept very clean.

Hopefully passenger count will increase soon so we can continue to enjoy these ships. It's hard to imagine that at these numbers they can be making a profit. However I'm going to enjoy as many cruises as I can in the next few months.

• Like 2

Have you been to the spa? Wanting to buy a pass for our cruise to go to the spa but not if it is restricted.  Such as having to make an appointment every time I want to go to the spa if I paid for a pass. Do you have to wear a mask while in the sauna??

Edited by ready2cruzagain

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Hope you are having a good second stop in Ocean Cay.  Chris wanted me to ask if you happened to stop by the Wine Cellar near the specialty restaurants on Deck 8.  It seemed like they had some wines on their list that weren't available elsewhere on the ship.  We are both curious about it since it is a new feature from the Seaside.

We walked by and the selection (on the surface!) looks extensive. 

Second day on Ocean Cay has been great. Cool temps and low humidity. They do change up the lunch menu but both days have been great. 

41 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Have you been to the spa? Wanting to buy a pass for our cruise to go to the spa but not if it is restricted.  Such as having to make an appointment every time I want to go to the spa if I paid for a pass. Do you have to wear a mask while in the sauna??

The Sauna and spa facilities have been mostly empty due to current low capacity. No masks required. I am not positive but I believe if you have a pass don’t need appts (except for massages and similar). 

20 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

Do the butlers in YC still unpack your luggage?   The did on our last two Seaside cruises.  Did a great job and freed up time for us to enjoy our cruise faster.

I’m  not sure I’ve never used that service! But I would guess “yes”. 

1 minute ago, TrinaLC said:

The Sauna and spa facilities have been mostly empty due to current low capacity. No masks required. I am not positive but I believe if you have a pass don’t need appts (except for massages and similar). 

Thank you so much for the quick answer!  We will be on the Seashore for 2 weeks come Feb. 26th and want to purchase a Spa pass.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:19 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Surely you are joking - if MSC & other companies are smart enough to take cautionary measures to decrease the ongoing spread of covid - why question it???

If officers are not around why should the assistants be (only in case of emergency of course)???

YC or not you are on a large ship w thousands of people...this isn't The Ritz in Paris.

I was on MSC pre covid on a 13 day cruise & only saw officers on "Captains Nite" The ship was very clean, well run & efficient.  as far as the Maitre'ds with the hundreds of passengers in each seating they did their job well & any requestions or requests I had were immediately answered or fulfilled(including getting me banans for my breakfast).

Asd far as the pizza is concerned all you had to do is ask for a thicker crust - I always asked for a fresh pizza - it was hot & just the way I like it(I'm a New York City Man)!!!

Surely you are the one joking!  Why should junior staff be exempt from the same front line duties as the waiters, cabin staff, bar tenders etc?  I can see having senior - essential - staff in a “bubble”, but why wouldn’t other staff fulfill duties same as everyone else on the ship?  They are all double vaxxed, probably boosted, wearing N95 masks. The ships are sailing, every one else is doing the passenger facing (and not) jobs. Surely a junior hotel employee can walk around and fulfill that important service role? And it is good job training!  (I should note that AFTER I made my original comment that was exactly what started to happen. Coincidence?  Maybe. Or maybe not.)

And as to pizza, the pizza they put out was fresh, just not to my liking as much as it used to be. A personal comment from another NY’er.  Could I have asked for something different? I guess so, but I was commenting generally on what they are putting out in the ordinary course. ‘Nuff said. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GA Dave said:

IMG_2427.JPG

Thanks for posting this. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I that I tuned out to information that might have been useful. But as I said earlier, the process seemed so ambiguous that I did not want to run afoul of it. Given that I was already in the habit of grabbing a bottle of water from the nearest bar prior to turning in for the night, I just continued with that habit even though I was in YC.

@TrinaLC Do you happen to know or inquire whether we can still consume whatever snacks (Toblerone etc.) that is being stock at the very beginning in the mini fridge as complimentary? I understand any future replenishment will be charged per item, but thought if the initial stocks are free to consume? 

Thanks.

@TrinaLC - it sounds like you're having a great cruise!  

I was wondering... how many formal/elegant nights were on your cruise?  Do they also have a bunch of studio scene photographers out?  Not saying that we will definitely dress up and go to dinner, but if we do, and we buy that all-inclusive digital photos package, then we might as well get some nice family pictures  😁

If you have a chance to post another of the Daily Activities sheets, that would be awesome!  

Enjoy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Surely you are the one joking!  Why should junior staff be exempt from the same front line duties as the waiters, cabin staff, bar tenders etc?  I can see having senior - essential - staff in a “bubble”, but why wouldn’t other staff fulfill duties same as everyone else on the ship?  They are all double vaxxed, probably boosted, wearing N95 masks. The ships are sailing, every one else is doing the passenger facing (and not) jobs. Surely a junior hotel employee can walk around and fulfill that important service role? And it is good job training!  (I should note that AFTER I made my original comment that was exactly what started to happen. Coincidence?  Maybe. Or maybe not.)

And as to pizza, the pizza they put out was fresh, just not to my liking as much as it used to be. A personal comment from another NY’er.  Could I have asked for something different? I guess so, but I was commenting generally on what they are putting out in the ordinary course. ‘Nuff said. 

I applaud any measures MSC takes to stop the spread of COVID..... GUEST SERVICES is open for all passengers & the concierge in Yacht Club can take care of any issues that arise,  I guess for some its important to get that 8x10 glossy w the Captain to show all back home.

As far as pizza you go to the chef, ask for a pizza w thicker crust & they make it for you, nice & hot....done!

Its a MSC ship...... not the DRAMA Department!!!!

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience?
Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties and world of today?
It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with. 
People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion. 
Then you have those that  try to control the boards. 
Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism.
Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise.
Stay safe and happy cruising!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

I applaud any measures MSC takes to stop the spread of COVID..... GUEST SERVICES is open for all passengers & the concierge in Yacht Club can take care of any issues that arise,  I guess for some its important to get that 8x10 glossy w the Captain to show all back home.

As far as pizza you go to the chef, ask for a pizza w thicker crust & they make it for you, nice & hot....done!

Its a MSC ship...... not the DRAMA Department!!!!

Not exactly sure what a pic with with the captain has to do with pizza…maybe it’s a Scarsdale thing.