Must trys on MDR menu vs. Skip it!

dgoz

We have never cruised on Celebrity and are wondering what are the not to be missed items on the MDR menu. I read the escargot was amazing and I would never have ordered that unless advised to do so on this board. I don't really like lamb or goats cheese or anything "gamey" tasting, but otherwise I'm not picky.

• Like 2

I suppose escargot come in the shells, with garlic and butter?  I once tried them in a soup in a Mediterranean restaurant at home.  I really enjoyed that soup!  But next time I tried them the traditional way at a French restaurant, and didn't enjoy them.  I wonder how they taste on board in the MDR?  Anyone know if you can order escargot in Blu?

Edited by zitsky

Hard to answer -- It all depends on what you like and /or are able to eat depending on ( diet, religious observance , or------ Who's dining with you at the time -- LOL--get the message ?? ). 

Either way, the service and food is excellent and if you don't like what you ordered, you can order something else. 

Example--- at the table beside us the waiter brought the the man a huge chunk of blue cheese every night as an appetizer -- ( better him than me ). He probably felt the same about me when I ordered 3 shrimp cocktails.

I'm sure you will enjoy the entire Celebrity " experience ".

12 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

The French Onion soup and the Scallops Rockefeller are fantastic !

The prime rib was excellent as was the lobster tail. Escargot better on the Edge than on the Silhouette in November. Blue cheese souffle also delicious as was raclette potato flan at normandie MDR but very rich due to the puff pastry.  Skipped dessert most nights as oceanview Cafe has excellent dessert. If you stop by there and like Indian food try their chicken Biryani. 

• Like 1

I love the MDR French onion soup, as well. I wish it came in smaller portions, though. I can never seem to finish it when I know I have more food coming.

I like the olive oil cremeux dessert in MDR better than the one in Blu.

The beef tournedos are good. Hubby like the escargot. 

• Like 1

I agree with most here. French onion soup I love, prime rib a thicker cut of course is what I also love. Scallops Rockefeller is awesome as previously stated..

Escargot is excellent.Like their pasta dishes. crème brûlée for desert is a must try.

Celebrity's food is very good in my opinion. But everyone has there own taste.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

I agree with most here. French onion soup I love, prime rib a thicker cut of course is what I also love. Scallops Rockefeller is awesome as previously stated..

Escargot is excellent.Like their pasta dishes. crème brûlée for desert is a must try.

Celebrity's food is very good in my opinion. But everyone has there own taste.

The food was better on the Edge than on the Silhouette. IMHO.

Please try the chicken biryani in OV Cafe. Really good if you like Indian food.

• Like 1

I would recommend trying any of the cold "fruit" soups on the appetizer menus - the pear with honey and the strawberry being favs of mine.

I tend to stick to the fish entrees on board and most of them are tasty (though the cod entree that my wife had last month on Reflection looked odd - covered in breadcrumbs - but she said it was delicious).

Celebrity's versions of classic appetizers ( beef carpaccio, iceberg wedge salad, caprese salad, etc.) are very good. On my scallops Rockefeller order, I got 2 scallops ( sorry, @cruisestitch).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

Honestly I don't love most of the entrees so wind up getting a bunch of apps and salads and soups. 

you and me both.  Love most of the soups.  The problem I find with MDR is how they describe the food and then the portions they come up with.

I do not sail for do fine dining but on most ship's I find I like appetizers and bread the best. One reason I like the buffet is I can make my own salad creations as well.

I do not always like a lot of the "full of air so called cakes" they have. Some look pretty but do not taste good.

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you and me both.  Love most of the soups.  The problem I find with MDR is how they describe the food and then the portions they come up with.

I do not sail for do fine dining but on most ship's I find I like appetizers and bread the best. One reason I like the buffet is I can make my own salad creations as well.

I do not always like a lot of the "full of air so called cakes" they have. Some look pretty but do not taste good.

Their carrot cake is good as is the Boston cream pie. Key lime pie was a disappointment. I thought it would be better since we departed from Florida but not so.

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

Their carrot cake is good as is the Boston cream pie. Key lime pie was a disappointment. I thought it would be better since we departed from Florida but not so.

never had either.  but I will say on the Carnival Vista at lunch time they have 4 layer cakes beautifully decorated and good. I had a checkerboard green tea and chocolate cake that was good.  But most ships do not have good cakes IMHO.  I love RCI cookies though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I love Indian food and always order that.  Also the spinach stuffed portobello mushroom.  The spinach & ricotta stiffed ravioli are very good.  On the first night they have a beet and feta cheese appetizer and also creamy mushroom soup.

Is Indian food on the regular MDR menu?  Also the spiinach stuffed portobello sounds fabulous!  I started eating mostly plant-based so I need to look for these choices.