Regent Dress Code

sabrefan

5 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

(Of course, having said that I'm guaranteed to have a balcony puffer upwind from me on my next cruise...)

Last June on the Voyager I (solo) shared a table in Prime 7 with two couples. One of the women was sneaking puffs on a vape pen during dinner! I should have said something (to the Maitre 'd, at least), but I was too flummoxed at this behavior, especially since that couple went on and on about how lawless their city had become since the woke politicians were voted in. I won't let it go if there's a next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RELS:

Ah, the joys of sharing a table with a couple, one of whom shares second-hand vape vapors. Trust there will not be a next-time sharing a meal with them at the same table.  

And, so-as to digress off this now overly worn-out Thread--without default to chair hogs or designer jeans--or tipping-----

UUNetBill:  The gal who smoked up a cloud in her next-door Suite to ours on a pre-Pandemic Mariner cruise did not get the benefit of a second (or third) warning.  Upon entering our Suite on the embarkation afternoon, noted cigarette smoke odor.  Strong. Opened the veranda sliding door to increase fresh air flow; turned up the AC to full blast; and summoned the Room Attendant.  Made sure he noted we had inherited this situation.  The problem was either in a Suite to the left or right of ours.    

Smell cleared out.  Attendant reported back advising Management had been alerted; and the individual warned.  

Two days passed with no repeat. 

Third day--in Port that early morning.  Back to our Suite after breakfast.  Same odor.  Same response as to opening up the Veranda door and turning AC up.  When on our Veranda, determined by smell which Suite the miscreant was occupying. The smell was worse on the Veranda. 

This time--back to Reception and a short meeting with the General Manager. We went to a morning lecture, followed by a brief onshore excursion; then back to ship for lunch.  Waiting for us was a telephone message from the General Manager.  The offender(s) had been removed--from the ship. A quick check confirmed there was an airport at that Port.  Fortunate for the offender(s).    

Back to the General Manager we went expressing our thanks. That Suite stayed unoccupied, to the best of our knowledge, for the remainder of that segment.  No passenger; no problem. 

GOARMY!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I guess your question was answered in other posts.  But no...it's not a "thing" (yet), but neither was purposefully  violating the dress code until people started purposefully violating the dress code and justifying it with "it's my cruise and I'll do what I want" or "why do you care what others wear," or "if Regent was really interested in enforcing it they would."  In fact in 2018 we did 44 nights on Mariner through the South Pacific and I NEVER saw a single lounge "reserved."  Now, go on a Caribbean cruise.  So...my point.. if people were less disrespectful and followed the rules, we wouldn't need to have these discussions.  

I seem to recall an old saying about "If" that had something to do with Grandma and Grandpa...

Unfortunately, it's a sad fact that rudeness begets rudeness.  Would sure be nice if we could just count on people to be kind and courteous...but alas, no.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I personally think the regent dress code makes sense as it ads to the overall cruise experience. Yes, one can argue about little things (dress jeans, no collar shirt under a jacket, turtle neck etc), but overall it all makes sense. 

On our last cruise however, we had one "gentleman" who decided to dress in tie dye shirts and MC Hammer pants only... during the day, during dinner etc. Asides from other antics he showed, it was quite ...sad. He flaunted his looks and it was kind of "in your face"... here's a close resemblance of what he looked like...just not as slender. Not pretty ...

_ec2d85af-cf1d-428f-9d68-625effbb4e00.jpg

Edited by Gcto

28 minutes ago, Gcto said:

I personally think the regent dress code makes sense as it ads to the overall cruise experience. Yes, one can argue about little things (dress jeans, no collar shirt under a jacket, turtle neck etc), but overall it all makes sense. 

On our last cruise however, we had one "gentleman" who decided to dress in tie dye shirts and MC Hammer pants only... during the day, during dinner etc. Asides from other antics he showed, it was quite ...sad. He flaunted his looks and it was kind of "in your face"... here's a close resemblance of what he looked like...just not as slender. Not pretty ...

_ec2d85af-cf1d-428f-9d68-625effbb4e00.jpg

This fits the description perfectly an individual  on the Grandeur cruise from Miami to New York a few weeks ago.  Was he on another Regent cruise as well?  Interestingly, his companion dressed fine.

6 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I seem to recall an old saying about "If" that had something to do with Grandma and Grandpa...

Unfortunately, it's a sad fact that rudeness begets rudeness.  Would sure be nice if we could just count on people to be kind and courteous...but alas, no.

Good manners cost nothing, sadly though even “nothing” is too much for some people 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Johnthesailor said:

This fits the description perfectly an individual  on the Grandeur cruise from Miami to New York a few weeks ago.  Was he on another Regent cruise as well?  Interestingly, his companion dressed fine.

nope, same cruise...Miami to NYC....   described outfit to chatgpt and this is what it came up with :-)

• Like 1

On our last Regent cruise (Splendor — 03/24/2024 to 03/31/2024) my wife wore nice slacks, tops, and shoes. I wore non-denim  slacks (different material, but same cut as jeans), a collared polo shirt, and shoes exactly like sneakers but with leather uppers. No problems, and we felt we “fitted in”, as fellow guests were dressed in similar fashion. On one evening after 6:PM, I wore a dress T with a black sports coat. No problem with that either. And I think we fitted the Regent dress code as well. We live in a very informal area where dress is concerned (Durango, CO — nobody wears a tie). And that’s pretty much the way we dress around home. So I think Regent’s dress code is very reasonable, considering that it is a “lux line” — and the best one.

• Like 2

Someone came into the Constellation Theatre last night in shorts and a t-shirt and we just sat back and just waited for the clucking.   🤗

• Haha 1

Cruise ship dress codes do require a bit of research to get it right. Some lines we cruised a long time ago applied their dress code only to restaurants and lounges, but shorts and T shirts were fine in the theater.  Maybe some cruise lines are like that now. IDK. But, of course, we know that Regent’s “after 6” dress code applies to all public areas. But maybe some don’t understand that.

41 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Cruise ship dress codes do require a bit of research to get it right. Some lines we cruised a long time ago applied their dress code only to restaurants and lounges, but shorts and T shirts were fine in the theater.  Maybe some cruise lines are like that now. IDK. But, of course, we know that Regent’s “after 6” dress code applies to all public areas. But maybe some don’t understand that.

It does not apply to the pool deck or the outside decks...you can hang out there in a chaise all night with a bottle if you want.

20 hours ago, Gcto said:

nope, same cruise...Miami to NYC....   described outfit to chatgpt and this is what it came up with :-)

That was the individual I was referring to in post #100 - I thought I was the only one who was a little surprised at his dress and attitude but I guess it was more obvious than I thought.

5 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

I saw him as well…often with no shoes on!

He may be from NZ.  We had heard that some people there go bare foot but were still shocked when we saw people walking into a restaurant/bar without shoes.  Clearly it wasn’t a fad as the adults and children walked across sharp gritted car park and were clearly well adapted to it.

However, when in Rome and all that!

This may be a bit off topic, but it is funny. A friend was asking me about cruises, and said he was tired of lines and crowds everywhere and extra cost for many things.  Told him to check out Regent, which almost  never has such things. He said he wouldn’t like it because their ads showed all dressed up people (coats, ties and evening dresses). I said “don’t believe all the pictures you see in ads — it’s not that way onboard” I had to show him some pictures of guests I took on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago to convince him. Makes me wonder how many people avoid Regent because they think it is too dressy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

This may be a bit off topic, but it is funny. A friend was asking me about cruises, and said he was tired of lines and crowds everywhere and extra cost for many things.  Told him to check out Regent, which almost  never has such things. He said he wouldn’t like it because their ads showed all dressed up people (coats, ties and evening dresses). I said “don’t believe all the pictures you see in ads — it’s not that way onboard” I had to show him some pictures of guests I took on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago to convince him. Makes me wonder how many people avoid Regent because they think it is too dressy. 

A lot in the younger age groups.

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

I’m guessing that there’s a difference of opinion as to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. 

Probably but I look at it this way. I read the rules and decide if I will like the cruise or not. If I go, I follow all the rules and I do not worry about what others do. I have a great time and then move on to the next thing.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Nor do you have to be as good looking, slender, beautiful or stylish as those in the pictures.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

One of the easiest things in the day is to put on a dress and a pair of pumps in order to get ready for dinner.  The make up might take a little bit more time (it's amazing how much effort it takes to achieve the "no make up make up" look 😂 ).

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2024 at 7:58 AM, jjs217 said:

Nor do you have to be as good looking, slender, beautiful or stylish as those in the pictures.

but....we all are...aren't we 🙂