Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

Slept, kissed, shared drinking glasses with my wife for 3 days before testing positive. At that point we figured she'd get it so no isolation or precautions at home.  She never did get it.   

I also know multiple couples who fit this description. It does happen.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

In the FWIW department - married 52 years and we have NEVER gotten ANY diseases from each other.

Either he gets something and I don't or I do and he doesn't. And we've never taken any precautions to separate while ill.

(But so far neither of us has gotten Covid)

Crazy!  We've been married for 40 and have had the same experience!  It's really been a blessing since one of us has always been available to play nursemaid to the other.

Understanding the chain of infection does not seem to be a common theme when it comes to Covid.

The chain requires a SUSCEPTIBLE host. Not everyone who is exposed to a pathogen will contract a disease. 

Wearing a mask can decrease your chances of contracting an airborne pathogen (portal of entry) and from spreading a pathogen (portal of exit).

Can masks help protect you and others from contracting Covid? YES. As well as other influenza viruses, the common cold, measles, chicken pox, pertussis... The list is almost endless.

Will I still wear a mask? Yes, because I want to decrease my chance of contracting or spreading an airborne pathogen. I also want to increase my chance of a negative Covid test, so I can enjoy my vacation and return home after my vacation. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yamaha dancer said:

Understanding the chain of infection does not seem to be a common theme when it comes to Covid.

The chain requires a SUSCEPTIBLE host. Not everyone who is exposed to a pathogen will contract a disease. 

Wearing a mask can decrease your chances of contracting an airborne pathogen (portal of entry) and from spreading a pathogen (portal of exit).

Can masks help protect you and others from contracting Covid? YES. As well as other influenza viruses, the common cold, measles, chicken pox, pertussis... The list is almost endless.

Will I still wear a mask? Yes, because I want to decrease my chance of contracting or spreading an airborne pathogen. I also want to increase my chance of a negative Covid test, so I can enjoy my vacation and return home after my vacation. 

Very well put.

(from Fj1200 owner down under)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In the USA, the travel mask mandate was set to expire on March 18 but was just extended until April 18th.  Still need to wear masks on planes and in transportation centers.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/1085739883/mask-mandate-planes-trains-ferries-tsa-cdc

You beat me to it. I'm happy to see it. I board a flight on 3/18 and was not looking forward to being in a sealed flying tube with a couple hundred unmasked people for 4 hours before boarding a cruise. Doing everything I can to avoid ending up in a quarantine cabin. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

You beat me to it. I'm happy to see it. I board a flight on 3/18 and was not looking forward to being in a sealed flying tube with a couple hundred unmasked people for 4 hours before boarding a cruise. Doing everything I can to avoid ending up in a quarantine cabin. 

You do know that you can wear a mask even if people around you don’t?

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In the USA, the travel mask mandate was set to expire on March 18 but was just extended until April 18th.  Still need to wear masks on planes and in transportation centers.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/10/1085739883/mask-mandate-planes-trains-ferries-tsa-cdc

Some articles on this I read today says the CDC left the door open for lifting the mask mandates for airports and planes and will be reevaluating them over the next month. I have my fingers crossed they go away after April 18th. Even when lifted those who feel safer with a face diapers can still wear them, but my wife and I will not be one of them.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

Of course, and I may well be wearing a mask when I fly from now on. I used to get a cold virtually every time I flew. But, I haven't gotten one cold after flying since the mask mandate was instituted. In fact, I've only had one cold since January 2020.  And, as for flying, if everyone in the big metal tube can be masked for a little while longer, so much the better - for everyone, I believe. This thing is not gone yet. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Of course, and I may well be wearing a mask when I fly from now on. I used to get a cold virtually every time I flew. But, I haven't gotten one cold after flying since the mask mandate was instituted. In fact, I've only had one cold since January 2020.  And, as for flying, if everyone in the big metal tube can be masked for a little while longer, so much the better - for everyone, I believe. This thing is not gone yet. 

Total agree , the last time I was sick was on the Conny in Oct 2019 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

100%!! I'm astounded at the number of people (not saying that particular poster as they have said they may well still wear one) who interpret "mask mandate lifted" as "you cannot EVER wear a mask".

It just means you don't have to. You can if you want.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, photomikey said:

Similarly, married couple, one gets it, the other never does.  So two people can sleep next to each other and share a fork in the kitchen and not cross-infect, but I have to wear a mask in the grocery store so I don't get it from someone in the next aisle?

Because covid is sneaky and likes the canned food aisle, but just kicks back and takes some time off when you're at the Martini Bar on a ship. 

On 3/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, zitsky said:

How many cases are there where two people live together and one person gets sick?

Seems the mask is to protect you from people in the same aisle.

There should be a cruise just for people who don’t want to wear masks or get vaccinated.  The crew could volunteer.

LOTS of cases like that, actually.  Especially among the vaccinated.  Two in my family, actually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I used to get a cold virtually every time I flew. But, I haven't gotten one cold after flying since the mask mandate was instituted.

This is also because fewer people have colds lately (Thank you masks) so there’s less cold virus pathogens flying about. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

100%!! I'm astounded at the number of people (not saying that particular poster as they have said they may well still wear one) who interpret "mask mandate lifted" as "you cannot EVER wear a mask".

It just means you don't have to. You can if you want.

I’m one of those who think I’m more protected when others wear masks than wearing my own mask. 
I have no issues with required masks on busses trains and planes.  Keep your sneezes to yourself.  (writing this from a packed commuter bus where we’re all wearing masks.)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m one of those who think I’m more protected when others wear masks than wearing my own mask. 
I have no issues with required masks on busses trains and planes.  Keep your sneezes to yourself.  (writing this from a packed commuter bus where we’re all wearing masks.)

I agree, and I wear mine when I'm on the subway or bus or in other places when around a lot of people.

I was simply reiterating that ending a mandate doesn't mean we can't continue to wear them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, D C said:

Because covid is sneaky and likes the canned food aisle, but just kicks back and takes some time off when you're at the Martini Bar on a ship. 

OMG!  How does a virus know when you are on the ship???

😂

My opinion is that we all do what is comfortable for ourselves.  I do not care about lifting of mandates except it is a trailing indicator.  As for me, I watch community transmission levels and try to understand if the virus is lurking about and at what levels.  That is the important factor for me and masking.  If there is very little virus around then my mask comes off and my routine is back to my version of normal.  I understand that the pandemic has permanently changed everybody's thinking on this and we will see masks on planes and cruise ships for years to come.  

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My opinion is that we all do what is comfortable for ourselves.  I do not care about lifting of mandates except it is a trailing indicator.  As for me, I watch community transmission levels and try to understand if the virus is lurking about and at what levels.  That is the important factor for me and masking.  If there is very little virus around then my mask comes off and my routine is back to my version of normal.  I understand that the pandemic has permanently changed everybody's thinking on this and we will see masks on planes and cruise ships for years to come.  

I've lost track of your position.  If you cruised tomorrow would you wear a mask on-board the ship?

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

I've lost track of your position.  If you cruised tomorrow would you wear a mask on-board the ship?

No I would not wear one on a ship. My dw will not cruise if she is required to mask on board.   If Covid virus transmission is high (like Omicron Dec-Feb) I just would not cruise.  I will not sign up for cruises in the future in these peak months.  The post Thanksgiving-Christmas peak is here to stay.  Going forward I will continue to keep my vaccine shots Up To Date and for non-peak periods I will cruise without a mask and feel perfectly safe doing so.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This makes sense but the problem is people going on cruises dont stay in their community.

They're travelling from all over the world flying to the port of embarkation and interacting before they leave with their community; in airports and on planes, then they all come together on one little infectious ship at sea...  

• Like 1