Ncl policy - no straws

kenzie

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've not seen where bringing/using your own plastic straw is forbidden only that NCL won't provide them.

It was in reference to throwing them overboard when done with them.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

It's not the bringing them that was the issue, it was the dropping them over the side (littering) that was...

Why are plastic straws an issue?  See this (caution, the video may be disturbing)

https://blueocean.net/sea-turtle-vs-straw-how-an-eco-movement-went-viral/

I've seen that video and others like it that purport to show the damage plastics cause to the environment. Those videos are extreme misinformation.  The US, and cruise ships, are not the source of plastics in the ocean.  It's been established that third world countries are the source.  If you want to do something constructive, attack the real source.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

if this is your only problem on a cruise, consider yourself blessed. Sorry this post just irks me for some reason. I get it, you want a straw and can't find one and that sucks but go get a spoon and move on.

Exactly, the manufactured "problems" of so many cruisers, well on CC anyway, just ridiculous.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, oteixeira said:

But then how is it 2 weeks ago I was given straws all cruise long without asking?  I guess that is what I am trying to figure out.  There were signs on board that said "No more plastic straws", but nothing that said no straws...

We were on the Joy Nov & Dec 2021 and had paper straws everyday! 

Somebody is wrong and it sure isn't us.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I sure will.  I'll simply put my drink down somewhere and 'accidentally' knock it over as I leave.  LOL the brig over a straw, you are funny and probably one of the aforementioned snowflake tree huggers...

'accidentally' knock it over as I leave.  The crew must love j**** like you who act like you all in a hissy fit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've not seen where bringing/using your own plastic straw is forbidden only that NCL won't provide them.

there's a reason why NCL doesn't allow them, which is because they end up in the ocean, whether by genuine accident or on purpose, like @MoCruiseFanstated that he is planning to do. Accident OR on purpose, these straws kill wildlife. If you'd ever went scuba diving or even snorkeling, you'd be dismayed at the sh*t that is in the ocean. 

The very least we can do use a paper straw or bring a reusable one.  It's just a MINOR inconvenience, yet @MoCruiseFan is willing to try to insult me over it.

MANY companies are getting rid of plastic straws, it's not just NCL. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Oxo said:

We were on the Joy Nov & Dec 2021 and had paper straws everyday! 

Somebody is wrong and it sure isn't us.  LOL

it could be a supply issue unique to this sailing and a few others, but NCL is actively *trying* to provide guests with paper straws, I had them in every frozen drink I ordered in Sept on Encore and in October on Bliss. 

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

there's a reason why NCL doesn't allow them, which is because they end up in the ocean, whether by genuine accident or on purpose, like @MoCruiseFanstated that he is planning to do. Accident OR on purpose, these straws kill wildlife. If you'd ever went scuba diving or even snorkeling, you'd be dismayed at the sh*t that is in the ocean. 

The very least we can do use a paper straw or bring a reusable one.  It's just a MINOR inconvenience, yet @MoCruiseFan is willing to try to insult me over it.

MANY companies are getting rid of plastic straws, it's not just NCL. 

I'll show my age here, early 60's, and grew up with paper straws in the school cafeterias, drug store soda fountain etc. but of course, that amazing life altering invention called the plastic straw had yet to be invented, so we did not know what we were "missing" the inhumanity of it all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I'll show my age here, early 60's, and grew up with paper straws in the school cafeterias, drug store soda fountain etc. but of course, that amazing life altering invention called the plastic straw had yet to be invented, so we did not know what we were "missing" the inhumanity of it all.

there's lots of things we used to do and do not do anymore, due to technology and human kind just learning more. We always need to be striving to be better than we were yesterday. 🙂

• Like 3

The paper straws are not bad as long as you are not one that likes to take a while to finish a drink as your straw will collapse.

Here in Rhode Island, they just enacted a law that restaurants cannot give out plastic straws unless they are requested.  The Dunkin donuts near me have gone to a compostable straw that has the feel and durability of the plastic straw and also good for the environment.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, complawyer said:

wow! who'd a thunk an issue with straws would cause this much chatter?

makes me sick to think we can all complain about something like paper straws with what is going on in Ukraine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

makes me sick to think we can all complain about something like paper straws with what is going on in Ukraine. 

Yup, definitely bigger issues in the world these days than not getting a straw while on a cruise...

• Like 4

Can we stop with the "if this is your biggest problem....." replies?  This entire site is about cruising which by nature is indulgence and unnecessary.   No thread here is really about life and death. 

Discussing an unannounced change is exactly the reason people read these boards to begin with.  Takes much less energy to ignore the discussion than to remind someone their life isn't as bad as it could be.

2 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Can we stop with the "if this is your biggest problem....." replies?  This entire site is about cruising which by nature is indulgence and unnecessary.   No thread here is really about life and death. 

Discussing an unannounced change is exactly the reason people read these boards to begin with.  Takes much less energy to ignore the discussion than to remind someone their life isn't as bad as it could be.

1) while cruising is an indulgent luxury, being mindful of not being petty about things is still necessary 

2) the change from plastic to paper straws happened years ago on NCL before the pandemic. They most likely were having a supply shortage on the sailing the OP is on. 
Many other businesses outside of cruising have already adopted the “no plastic straw” policy so I don’t think this policy on NCL should really be a huge surprise, especially seeing how much closer a cruiseline can impact straws going into the ocean vs a restaurant in land. 

15 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

these straws kill wildlife

LOL the handful of wildlife that is killed by a plastic straw is hardly even worth mentioning.  If we re going to do things to take care of wildlife there are FAR more important things that impact the situation to a vastly greater extent.  We should work on those tings and not worry about this petty little straw thing that more so makes people feel good about themselves than doing any actual good to wildlife.  It is absurd and laughable that one photoshopped turtle picture on the internet could lead to this...

On 2/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, oteixeira said:

Two weeks back on the Pearl we were getting paper straws in all drinks....I guess it is a very recent change?  (I was on Feb 16-21st)

Yup, off the Getaway on Feb 16. Had straws. They were green and were stiff. Much better than the old paper ones which collapsed after a few minutes.

No straws at all on our Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss.  Our first port was Jamaica, and I stocked up with a pile of paper straws from Margaritaville.  The crew had no issues at all with me using them. 

I can confirm on our Feb 4 to 20 Panama Canal cruise there were no straws to be found. I didn't go into cocos. I had a few straws in my purse, because I like my plastic straws.

I had a lot of people ask where I got my straws from. Sadly, I had none to share. So people did I like did and got them when they were on shore. 

Bring your straws if you like them!!

l was told the shipment of straws the Bliss received had a thin plastic lining in them and they will not to use them. Why it's taking so long to get new ones, I don't know. I do know that last week we didn't have any. While it's a pain to drink a frozen drink without one, it wasn't the end of the world. They gave me a spoon, which was helpful. 

If you really need them, bring them, but throwing any plastic into the ocean is BS. Maybe you don't feel like your tiny personal habits make a difference, but "if everyone does it" yeah, it does! You say you love cruising? Then make it your responsibilty to do everything to protect the ocean... and use reef safe sunscreen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2