Anyone familiar with the vaccine exemption request process?

Long story short, we purchased a cruise months ago for a Christmas present for our kids and some of their friends(10 total in group)

My 17 year old stepson is not vaccinated, due to his father not wanting him to be.(religious reason) As per the divorce agreement, my wife and he have to agree on medical decisions for their son. When we were deciding on purchasing the cruise, my wife spoke with her ex, and he hinted that he would relent and let him get vaxxed.

Of course, you know where this is going. It was a battle for months, but he would not agree. I submitted a vax exemption request to special needs a few weeks ago. Got the email back saying it was being processed. I've called several times and spoke with someone and they assured me we would have an answer soon. Now we are SIX days away from the cruise and still no answer. 

My question is why would it take so long? If they're going to deny the request, why would they wait this long? I spoke with RC, and they said we could postpone and cruise in a few months when he's 18 and can get the Vaccine on his own.  We're on pins and needles here and can't even get excited because we don't know if we are going to be cruising next week. 🥺

5 minutes ago, Mr. Blonde said:

We're on pins and needles here and can't even get excited because we don't know if we are going to be cruising next week

Sorry to hear about the father's refusal. 

You are going to cancel for all 10 people? Maybe a little heartless, but is it an option for the other 9 to go and your stepson stay with his father?

If you go with the option to wait until he's 18, make sure you leave time for him to be fully vaccinated. RC requires 14 days after the last dose before you can sail. I'm sure you're very familiar by now with their requirements and FAQs. ☹️

• Like 2

Just now, SG65CB said:

Sorry to hear about the father's refusal. 

You are going to cancel for all 10 people? Maybe a little heartless, but is it an option for the other 9 to go and your stepson stay with his father?

If you go with the option to wait until he's 18, make sure you leave time for him to be fully vaccinated. RC requires 14 days after the last dose before you can sail. I'm sure you're very familiar by now with their requirements and FAQs. ☹️

Yes, this is a family thing that we were looking forward to. Other than my stepson, our other four children are all adults with jobs, college, etc, so we rarely all get together for something like this. It would not feel right to be having fun and leaving him out. He'll be 18 in early May, so we would probably reschedule for June.

• Like 2

I have been wondering about getting a medical  exemption for my granddaughter but I’m trying to figure out how it works. It seems kind of silly to book a cruise and then have to wait and wait to find out if you’re actually going to go. Is it not possible to apply for the exemption first and then book a cruise when you find out you’re actually able to go? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CityChickCruising said:

I would keep emailing that email, calling and also message them on Facebook in hopes of hearing back from a 'real person.' The more avenues you take, the more likely you are to receive an answer. Fingers crossed for you, tough situation! 

Thank you, they said definitely do not email again because that "resets" the process. Every time I've called Special needs, they've been super helpful, but they keep telling me I should expect an answer via email "any day now"

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Blonde said:

Thank you, they said definitely do not email again because that "resets" the process. Every time I've called Special needs, they've been super helpful, but they keep telling me I should expect an answer via email "any day now"

Definitely don't email then!! Fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I have been wondering about getting a medical  exemption for my granddaughter but I’m trying to figure out how it works. It seems kind of silly to book a cruise and then have to wait and wait to find out if you’re actually going to go. Is it not possible to apply for the exemption first and then book a cruise when you find out you’re actually able to go? 

Great question. Probably would speed up the process.

With the dropping of masks...I don't think the unvaxxed adults are going to receive exemptions.  The new protocol does not mention anyone being allowed unvaxxed except minor children.  Could be wrong, but that is how it reads.  This is the latest health protocol from the RCI website.   

For Cruises Departing from All U.S. Homeports including San Juan, Puerto Rico

All Royal Caribbean guests age 12 and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days before sailing. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the protocols for vaccinated guests. While we do not require kids younger than 12 to be vaccinated, many are and it is highly likely destinations will begin to require guests age 5 and older to be vaccinated. We will notify booked guests as this guidance evolves.

Each guest’s regimen must include at least two doses of vaccine unless the guest received the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. This is per U.S. CDC guidance, and no exceptions will be made, even if the guest's resident country has authorized a single-shot regimen for a two dose vaccine.

We strongly recommend that fully vaccinated guests receive a booster dose when they become eligible to do so, though it is currently not required. It is highly likely many destinations will soon begin to require booster doses for all eligible guests to be considered fully vaccinated. We will notify booked guests as this guidance evolves.

Royal Caribbean will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in lieu of a vaccination record card for guests of vaccine eligible age. 

For guests departing from Florida homeports, this vaccine requirement is the policy of several international governments for a cruise ship to enter their waters. We remain in contact with local governments in the ports we visit and will update the policy if advised.

Guests under age 12 who are not vaccinated will complete additional COVID-19 testing requirements depending on the length and departure port of their sailing.

Kids Who Are Turning 12

• Like 1

From what you’ve said, this is not a medical reason for not being vaxxed but a religious one.  I’m afraid you are not going to get a positive response.  Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it happening.  People with documented medical excuses are being denied.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

Does your granddaughter have a documented medical reason not to get vaccinated? Otherwise, since they are now limiting cruises to 5% unvaxxed, most of which will be used for children under 12, it is going to be very, very difficult if not impossible, to get an exemption for anything other than a documented medical exemption with associated paperwork from her doctor.

Edited by cured

1 hour ago, Mr. Blonde said:

Yes, this is a family thing that we were looking forward to. Other than my stepson, our other four children are all adults with jobs, college, etc, so we rarely all get together for something like this. It would not feel right to be having fun and leaving him out. He'll be 18 in early May, so we would probably reschedule for June.

The cruise has to commence 14 days after the second vaccine. You would have to plan accordingly.  

m

57 minutes ago, poocher said:

From what you’ve said, this is not a medical reason for not being vaxxed but a religious one.  I’m afraid you are not going to get a positive response.  Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it happening.  People with documented medical excuses are being denied.

I am afraid you are correct. There was a post just last week from a person that applied for a medical exemption due to tinnitus, submitted all the required doctor's notes, and was still denied just a couple of days before sailing.

If they are denying medical exemptions, religious exemptions are even more at risk at being denied.

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

If you haven't heard yet, I suspect the answer is going to be No Exemption is being granted. 

Since ships now have to meet the 95% fully vaccinated and children are under 12 do not require vaccinations that probably won't leave much wiggle room for teenagers or adults to be granted an exemption.     

Also, make sure you cancel within the required timeframe. 

i.e. If your cruise is a Sunday your last day to cancel would be Thursday.

They will most likely issue everyone a FCC or if you know exactly which cruise you want to book for June then you should be able to simply transfer current funds over to your new booking instead of waiting for the FCC to be processed.   

• Like 1

We have a group of 12 going on an Alaskan cruise in July. When we booked over a year ago, one friend said if she had to get vaccinated for the cruise she would do it. Now as we get closer, she informed me last week that she is trying for a religious exemption for herself and her 20 year old daughter. Her husband is vaccinated btw.

Why do I care so much? The daughter is in an ultra spacious ocean view room with my daughter and two of their friends. I am trying to figure out how long it would take before Royal gives her an answer so we know how it will affect the other 3 girls. It's very frustrating the rest of the parents. Prices are only going up at this point, so most likely we won't even be able to save money by switching to a lesser category/smaller room.

• Like 2

I finally got the rejection.

It still looks like we're going to go. My wife offered him an opportunity to fly up to Boston to see his cousin in lieu of the cruise and he's thrilled. So,  all's well that ends well. We're cruising on Thursday!

Thank you for all the info.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Mr. Blonde said:

I finally got the rejection.

It still looks like we're going to go. My wife offered him an opportunity to fly up to Boston to see his cousin in lieu of the cruise and he's thrilled. So,  all's well that ends well. We're cruising on Thursday!

Thank you for all the info.

I'm glad that the rest of you will still enjoy your cruise, and that your son is happy to visit his cousin. Thank you for sharing your experience.

By any chance, did they give a specific reason for the rejection? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

At 17 can he not make his own decisions about the vaccine? I know here kids that age can be vaccinated without parental consent.  

It depends on the state where you live. Some states require parental consent up to age 18, some have a younger age of consent, some provide a way to waive parental consent. Florida is strictly age 18.