Atlas Bar on Onward

Riocca

I have read the information on Azamara.com and the mail we received about this. It clearly states that this will be a speciality venue and that, IMO, means that what you consume costs extra. Yes drinks will be included in the Ultimate drinks paggage, but still no information on what they intend to charge for the small dishes they are serving. 

I don't see this for us as we never drink cocktails, but no great feelings about it as we almost never used the library either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Is there some reason they can’t feature craft cocktails in the existing bars?

They do!  Did you read my post?

I had some on my cruise in Dec and they were good.

I guess this will just be another venue for them.

It is Azamara’s choice.  Not mine.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, Riocca said:

To clarify what Azamara are saying, you don’t have to have a package to use the Atlas Bar so anyone can use it. As it’s only serving premium cocktails you have to pay for them as you would with premium cocktails at any other bar on the ship, but if you have the Ultimate Package they’re included. 
If it’s cocktails only then for us it’s use would be limited, but if you can get normal drinks like a G&T, hopefully with Fevertree, then it’s a possibility. We normally go for the Ultimate Package as it includes the alcohol we normally drink and as we are on holiday to enjoy ourselves why compromise for a small additional cost.

We have just returned from a Viking cruise and guess what, Fevertree freely available to add to my G&T! Hope Azamara can finally nail this long running saga of Tonicgate!

• Like 7

For our first cruise (another one booked) we did our tour of the Journey and when we got to the library were surprised to see it empty.

We regularly cruise on Regent (pre covid) and it seems that the library on the two ships we have been on have people in every seat, and quietly reading newspapers and books.  When I would stop by to get DH I went in very quietly so as not to disturb the other passengers.

9 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Given COVID it could be empty of books too.

The public libraries around here have all realized that the book-quarantine was not needed.  Returned books are now checked in and reshelved immediately.  No reports of libraries as 'hot spots' ...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

For our first cruise (another one booked) we did our tour of the Journey and when we got to the library were surprised to see it empty.

We regularly cruise on Regent (pre covid) and it seems that the library on the two ships we have been on have people in every seat, and quietly reading newspapers and books.  When I would stop by to get DH I went in very quietly so as not to disturb the other passengers.

Every time I’ve visited the Drawing Room on Journey, Quest, or Pursuit, it’s been ice-box cold. At the very least, I hope the new Atlas Bar is a reasonable temperature. That would be an improvement from the start!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The public libraries around here have all realized that the book-quarantine was not needed.  Returned books are now checked in and reshelved immediately.  No reports of libraries as 'hot spots' ...

I think our public libraries put returned books aside for a period before reshelving them.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:47 PM, lisiamc said:

Every time I’ve visited the Drawing Room on Journey, Quest, or Pursuit, it’s been ice-box cold. At the very least, I hope the new Atlas Bar is a reasonable temperature. That would be an improvement from the start!

Same with the Den and Spirits Bar. Freezing temperatures. We never used them on our last Journey cruise. Very dissappointing.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, lisiamc said:

The air conditioning is needed to offset the high humidity of the marine environment. Would you rather mold, mildew, and compromised electronics? I always just carry a scarf or sweater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leo_On_Geo said:

The air conditioning is needed to offset the high humidity of the marine environment. Would you rather mold, mildew, and compromised electronics? I always just carry a scarf or sweater.

Is it only the Drawing Room that is exposed to the marine environment?  I’ve never turned blue in Prime C or Aqualina.  

• Haha 2

Recently on the morning of disembarkation, after we left our cabin, we chose the Drawing Room as the public space to wait in before being called for departure.  It was a most pleasant space in which to wait and reflect upon the enjoyable Azamara cruise we had just completed. 

It wasn't frigid, it was cozy and comfortable.  With all those books on the shelves, it didn't seem sterile and impersonal like bars do in the morning, the Drawing Room drew us in and provided us with one last good impression to remember.

I realize there are financial pressures that drove this decision. 

Please consider this post a lament for what was and will be.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Same with the Den and Spirits Bar. Freezing temperatures. We never used them on our last Journey cruise. Very dissappointing.

It's odd 😉. I guess we are all different and most definitely it can change from cruise to cruise and even within the cruise. I've found Spirits to be extremely warm on many occasions, especially when there is a good gathering there for dinner. More often than not I now go to The Den because it's more tolerable and a nice atmosphere. Or if the weather is good, the Pool Bar. 

Phil 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's odd 😉. I guess we are all different and most definitely it can change from cruise to cruise and even within the cruise. I've found Spirits to be extremely warm on many occasions, especially when there is a good gathering there for dinner. More often than not I now go to The Den because it's more tolerable and a nice atmosphere. Or if the weather is good, the Pool Bar. 

Phil 

No idea as to why the temperature in Spirits were so low. Came out of the Cabaret and walked into a fridge. That was what it felt like.

Some people sat there, but not many.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, IslandThyme said:

I am booked on the 2024 World Cruise and find this move on Azamara's part to be really discouraging. I hate to see a library removed anytime, anywhere, and on a 155 day cruise a library seems like an essential offering.

And as a separate comment, I have no interest in premium cocktails. Zero. Less than zero in paying extra for fancy nibbles. As someone mentioned upthread, a wine bar, with some really good wine, would interest me, since by all accounts wine seems to be such a weak spot on Azamara.

I would prefer a nice wine bar as well.  Our biggest disappointment with Azamara is the quality of their included wines.  Additionally, dark bars with little or no view, don’t enhance the cruise experience.  Lighten it up, and broaden the concept to include nice wine and craft beers in addition to the trendy cocktails, and it might resonate.  There would be something for everyone!  Let’s just hope Kelly Hoppen isn’t providing the the furnishings!

I've only been on one previous Azamara cruise, aboard Pursuit and it was a 14 night Transatlantic. I don't remember the name of my favorite place but it's where I picked up the daily crossword puzzle and sat working them in comfortable chairs. Maybe it was the library, or the den? This new, needless bar isn't doing away with that venue is it? I hope not because I've already booked another TA on Onward. 

I guess I can live with the change. As long as loud, thumping bass, electronic dance music is not pumped out throughout the ships 18 hours a day next. I assume that would be a big 'last straw' for most of us. Definitely would be for me. I don't get much time away from work and need a lot of peace and quiet on my vacations. 

• Like 5

I just hope the same ruination (in my opinion) of a lovely quiet relaxing area with a great selection of reading material does not also occur on the sister ships.

It has been my "go to" place as an early riser for a relaxing early morning read on 30 cruises.

I have no recollection of it being an icebox as some have said, but I do dress for the time of day, not expecting midday temperatures a 6am.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I just hope the same ruination (in my opinion) of a lovely quiet relaxing area with a great selection of reading material does not also occur on the sister ships.

It has been my "go to" place as an early riser for a relaxing early morning read on 30 cruises.

I have no recollection of it being an icebox as some have said, but I do dress for the time of day, not expecting midday temperatures a 6am.

Never been too cold for me in the library.

• Like 1